I recently got my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with Floyd Rose set up for Drop C tuning (from E standard). The tech put on Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.011 .014 .018p .028 .038 .048). While he did an excellent job setting up the guitar, I feel as though the strings are just a LITTLE too loose, especially the lower ones. Is there anything i can do to increase the tension on the strings slightly without having to increase the gauge of string? Like adjust the trem springs? (there are 3 springs on, at the very ends and in the middle in a straight formation)
you could adjust the trem springs and that would pull the whole bridge back and pull the strings tighter. BUT, if you do that a few things will happen. Since the strings are tighter, they'll also be higher so you won't be in drop c anymore. The bridge would also be leaning too far back, which would mess up your intonation and you wouldn't be able to pull the bar up as high. If the strings are too loose you need to get a higher gauge, there's no other way to do it without messing up your intonation and putting you slightly to very out of tune.
yeah, i figured. do you have any recommendations of gauges or brands of strings for drop c?
I use D'Addario Jazz Mediums in D Standard/Drop C and they feel perfect. The equivalent to Ernie Ball's Not Even Slinky. But it feels perfect, I know exactly what you mean, 11's are way too loose. I'd only really use them in E/Eb
sounds good. can you bend them though? because the high E is like .013 and i have a wider vibrato lol
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
you could adjust the trem springs and that would pull the whole bridge back and pull the strings tighter. BUT, if you do that a few things will happen. Since the strings are tighter, they'll also be higher so you won't be in drop c anymore. The bridge would also be leaning too far back, which would mess up your intonation and you wouldn't be able to pull the bar up as high. If the strings are too loose you need to get a higher gauge, there's no other way to do it without messing up your intonation and putting you slightly to very out of tune.

I don't think this is the correct way to do it...

On the other hand, I think raising the action may make the strings feel 'tighter'. I used to play on high action guitars and when i played on a friend's guitar with pretty low action, the strings felt pretty loose and flabby compared to my own guitar. However, this may be because of different string gauges.
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
The sets I use are 12's, and they bend fine, they play like 10's in E pretty much. And I do a lot of soloing, mainly bending and double stops so yes for it feels quite alright I might be moving up to 13's soon though
Quote by Zainprox
I don't think this is the correct way to do it...

On the other hand, I think raising the action may make the strings feel 'tighter'. I used to play on high action guitars and when i played on a friend's guitar with pretty low action, the strings felt pretty loose and flabby compared to my own guitar. However, this may be because of different string gauges.

Raising the action will also throw your intonation off slightly, since you have to push the string father down.

I'd recommend something like a heavy bottom set(.011-.052). A few people make sets like that, wouldn't throw your bridge off much either.
Thanks guys. I think Im just gonna get heavier gauge strings, but i dont want to change the feel with high top, low bottoms. Any recommendations on well balanced, heavy strings?