So I was wondering what you think of the Fender Road Worn guitars, its supposed to be built to 50's/60's specs, depending on the model. Is it worth it for vintage specs and just deal with the cheesey pre-worn body. (It's like buying jeans with holes already in it.)
Gibson Les Paul [498T + 490R]
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
Handmade ToneBender mkII clone.
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
just buy a strat from the 50s
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
the finish is kinda cheesy for sure. they play and sound really good though. if a vintage strat sound is what you want then it's not a bad choice at all.
Quote by Swannie
just buy a strat from the 50s

do you want to buy me one?
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
While I think they're a good idea and they feel/play great, they're built in Mexico and for $100 more you can buy a new American Strat. Or for the same price a used American Strat that could have a naturally semi-reliced finish.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Or for the same price a used American Strat that could have a naturally semi-reliced finish.

American Strats still have a poly finish (except for the Highway 1 Series), it would take the same amount of time to wear through an American Strat's poly finish as it would to wear through a Mexican Strat's (i.e. Forever).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'm completely aware of that fact, Fender only offers one or two non-custom shop models that have a nitrocellulose finish. I meant the term "semi-reliced" as the usual wear and tear on the guitar. Dings, scratches, scuffs. I didn't literally mean something that has a huge patch of bare wood where the finish was completely removed, if I did I wouldn't have said "semi-reliced"
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The "reclic" on those Road Worns is actually paint, IIRC. But if you like the way they feel and don't mind the cheesiness of it, who cares? Nobody will tell the difference on stage anyway.
road worn is a sin. The only good reason to have a relic is if you've had it for 30 years.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Unlike a lot of people who just shrug them off as overpriced relics, I've had the pleasure of playing them. I have giant hands, so the vintage 7.25" radius isn't as good a fit for me as the modern 9.5", but other than that, I love them. Yes, the relicing is a bit cheesy. But I don't know what they did to them, but they kick ass when it comes to tone - some of the best Fenders I've played in that area. And whoever originally thought of relicing maple necks was a genius; nothing feels quite as nice as a worn-in maple neck, and the relicing on the neck is actually fairly comfy.

Now, all that said, they're definitely not for everyone. But hey, if you like it, screw what other people say about the finish, nothing is overpriced if it's that one perfect piece of gear.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Helicopters!
The "reclic" on those Road Worns is actually paint, IIRC

no, it's actually the bare wood, not paint. The ESP ones and the old Joe Strummer Sig were "paint" though, that's still been clear coated over.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The Road Worns still have a matte clear finish over the 'bare' areas.

I wouldn't bother with them. They're MIM models with the finish from the Highway One models, i.e. poly base with a tiny nitro top coat. Then it's rubbed back in a few places and sprayed over again with matte nitro. You're paying MIA prices for MIM parts with a half-assed, not even 100% nitro finish. If you bought a MIM guitar, stripped it and refinished it yourself with nitro you'd have the exact same thing for what, two thirds the price, half the price in some cases?
if you want '50s or '60s spec and don't mind a thick poly finish, get a classic series. it will look new but it seems like it's the specs that you're interested in not the relic appearance everyone else seemed to assume you were looking for...

the road worns do feel nicer, though, imo, but not enough to justify the difference in price, for me at least.. which is why i have a classic instead of a road worn

as for relic hate... do you guys also hate on anyone who has gold hardware, a sexy quilt maple veneer, abalone inlays etc on their guitar? because really it's the same thing. it's a cosmetic thing that some people like and will gladly pay more for just like all the other cosmetic things i listed a few sentences ago, only in this particular case it actually affects the way the guitar feels in your hands, which is actually a more substancial difference.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I like them. I'd probably use it to take to jam sessions and out and about, then if it gets bumped, you're not gunna realize.
Quote by Blompcube
if you want '50s or '60s spec and don't mind a thick poly finish, get a classic series. it will look new but it seems like it's the specs that you're interested in not the relic appearance everyone else seemed to assume you were looking for...

the road worns do feel nicer, though, imo, but not enough to justify the difference in price, for me at least.. which is why i have a classic instead of a road worn

as for relic hate... do you guys also hate on anyone who has gold hardware, a sexy quilt maple veneer, abalone inlays etc on their guitar? because really it's the same thing. it's a cosmetic thing that some people like and will gladly pay more for just like all the other cosmetic things i listed a few sentences ago, only in this particular case it actually affects the way the guitar feels in your hands, which is actually a more substancial difference.

YES i despise any evil bastard that has gold plated parts and only the most foolish n00b on the planet would want abalone inlays. now what kind of pervert would have sex with a maple veneer (now if its a full cap then thats different).

kidding but yeah if people want those things then more power to them. you should be happy with your guitar. not a fan of fake relicing myself but hey it doesn't hurt me one bit if others are. the Road Worns do feel different from a regular strat. to bad they can't give ius a guitar with that feel without the silly looking relicing.
I like mine because i've spent money to get it set up, get new pickups and a new pickguard (the one on the white road worn 60's strat was just ridiculous) and now it's a pretty awesome guitar.

It all generally boils down to what you want, to be honest, you need to sit down and play these guitars and feel them to decide...
Quote by monwobobbo
to bad they can't give ius a guitar with that feel without the silly looking relicing.
They can and they have. Highway One guitars had the same kind of finish, just not worn back. Some of the signature models have had nitro coatings. All of the custom shop guitars have nitro finishes. Lots of other brands make Fender-style guitars with nitro finishes. Strip any Fender and refinish it yourself, same thing.
Quote by grohl1987
The Road Worns still have a matte clear finish over the 'bare' areas.

I wouldn't bother with them. They're MIM models with the finish from the Highway One models, i.e. poly base with a tiny nitro top coat. Then it's rubbed back in a few places and sprayed over again with matte nitro. You're paying MIA prices for MIM parts with a half-assed, not even 100% nitro finish. If you bought a MIM guitar, stripped it and refinished it yourself with nitro you'd have the exact same thing for what, two thirds the price, half the price in some cases?

This, I absolutely hated every single road worn strat I picked up, trems squeaked and didn't hold tune at all, guitar felt fake, and didn't really play well compared to a brand new MIA strat. In my opinion it's not worth it, just buy a new one, and deal with it, the road worn thing is a gimmick.
I don't mind the road worn thing. It makes the guitar feel comfortable. I don't really buy into the "you have to break it in yourself" idea. It would take decades of hard, borderline abusive daily playing to wear a guitar that much. With a lot of the poly and plasticized nitro finishes used now, even that wouldn't be enough. If you have a light touch or play more than one guitar, you'll never get there. Getting a comfortably worn guitar tomorrow is obviously less desirable than having one that's been broken in for 20 years, but the benefit is that you don't have to wait 20 years for it to happen.

So, if you want a guitar that feels broken in and plays well, and you don't mind the looks (I still can't make up my mind on that), I don't see anything wrong with it.
Ok, I'm not interested in the finish, I'm talking about the feel, playability, sound, you know the stuff that one should actually be looking for in a guitar, not cosmetics.
Vox V845 Wah
Ibanez TS9
Hardwire SC-2
EHx Small Clone
TC PolyTune
Quote by grohl1987
They can and they have. Highway One guitars had the same kind of finish, just not worn back. Some of the signature models have had nitro coatings. All of the custom shop guitars have nitro finishes. Lots of other brands make Fender-style guitars with nitro finishes. Strip any Fender and refinish it yourself, same thing.

HWY-1's don't feel the same as a Roadworn. i'm talking neck more than finish. i already have a nitro finished strat but thanx for thinking of me .
Quote by brendanbreen
Ok, I'm not interested in the finish, I'm talking about the feel, playability, sound, you know the stuff that one should actually be looking for in a guitar, not cosmetics.

Good plan.

Like most of the non-USA fenders, you're probably going to need to tweak the trem and action a bit to get it right from the factory. The pickups are good, but again, as with any guitar in this price range you'll probably end up replacing them for something better.

Feel and playability are stellar. That's the strength of the roadworn bit, they really do feel at least somewhat broken in, so the body is soft in the right places and the neck is very smooth and comfortable. As far as sound, they sound like a proper Fender. They're very comparable to the Highway One series sonically. I would definitely try the one you're going to buy - there's a lot of variability from guitar to guitar.

I think the process for some reason did more for strats than for telecasters. The roadworn Teles I played didn't seem much more comfortable or playable than the Highway ones. The strats did.
I thought they played great the ones I tried much better than your run of the mill MIM.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by brendanbreen
Then don't bother. Their necks and bodies are the same ones found on regular MIM guitars and their hardware and electronics are on the same level too. THey're made int he same place as the other MIMs by the same people so you know what kind of fitting and build quality you're getting there.

The whole point of the road worns is the worn look and nitro top coat. That is why they cost what they do. If you don't care about the finish then they're a waste of money. A MIM Standard or Classic will sound and play the same for less. A Classic Player or Deluxe will sound and play better with higher quality aftermarket parts for the same cost. An American Special or second hand Standard will sound better and be built better for the same price. A second hand American Deluxe will utterly blow a Road Worn out of the water and be etter in every single regard for barely any more money.