Back when I first got my first guitar with FR trem I learned the hard way that tuning down too far would throw the bridge outta whack/require a setup. However I was just curious if I tuned a FR equipped guitar from E Standard to Drop Db, if it would mess with the bridge at all?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by griffin888
Yeah, it'd throw it off.

Dammit. How about just regular ol Drop D?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Dont waste your time with that floyd rose shit. I have one and hate it. You should just get a guitar with a string thru.
Quote by notaspy2009
Dont waste your time with that floyd rose shit. I have one and hate it. You should just get a guitar with a string thru.

I'm asking because my main guitar has a floyd and came tuned to e standard...

Then I have my old Warlock that sounds awful in comparison.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
You might be able to pull off Drop D with the fine tuners. It'd still throw it off a little, but it might not be too noticeable.
Quote by griffin888
You might be able to pull off Drop D with the fine tuners. It'd still throw it off a little, but it might not be too noticeable.

This. I did this all the time. Loosen the locks at the nut, tune it to drop D, then tighten it. Compensate for the change in tension with the fine tuners.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
its easy... take the back plate off the guitar (the one that covers the springs)

See that block of metal that is attached to the strings? No, not the thing with the hooks on thats screwed into the body with those 2 large screws.. the other end of the springs... See that? Thats the resonance block

The trick is to measure the distance between the edge of the block and the wood of the guitar. Now, cut a piece of wood to fill that gap. it hasnt got to be that exact but the closer you can get it to the actual size, the better, you just want to stop the block moving.

Now,, slowly undo those large screws that are holding the spring claw to the body. Half a turn on each one at a time, then repeat a few times. Youll find the block of wood no longer moves in the slot, and its stopping the trem moving.

Now tune up/down/sideways.

Got it? ok, now, hold the guitar upright at a slight angle so that the block of wood can fall out and slowly tighten those screws again, half a turn of each screw a time until the block of wood falls out. Thats now floating at the new tuning you set up before, and you didnt have to spend $50 to do it It will take quite a bit of tweaking to get it exact, but thats how you should be doing it.

Note that this procedure *COULD* introduce intonation/action/truss rod problems if you really went to town and changed the tension a lot. If in doubt, see a guitar tech that you trust!
Quote by notaspy2009

Or people can learn how to properly set them up and take care of them, and love them.
There's only 2 kinds of people when it comes to FR's: the people who buy a guitar with a crap quality trem that won't hold tune, they have no idea how to set it up, but still try to and mess things up even worse, then call them crap. Then there's the people who do their research before getting a guitar with one. Read up on how to set them up. Have a technician show you how to set it up before leaving the store the day you buy it. And they know it takes time to even do a simple string change with one. But slowly, you get more experienced with it, learn what every little change will do to it, and how to adjust it when it needs it, and you learn more than divebombs.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Or people can learn how to properly set them up and take care of them, and love them.
There's only 2 kinds of people when it comes to FR's: the people who buy a guitar with a crap quality trem that won't hold tune, they have no idea how to set it up, but still try to and mess things up even worse, then call them crap. Then there's the people who do their research before getting a guitar with one. Read up on how to set them up. Have a technician show you how to set it up before leaving the store the day you buy it. And they know it takes time to even do a simple string change with one. But slowly, you get more experienced with it, learn what every little change will do to it, and how to adjust it when it needs it, and you learn more than divebombs.

This. Thank god someone said it, props man.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
This. Thank god someone said it, props man.

It always pisses me off when people say FR's are crap. I don't care if people tell me that they don't use them for certain reasons. But to say that they're the worst invention ever to be put into a guitar.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
It always pisses me off when people say FR's are crap. I don't care if people tell me that they don't use them for certain reasons. But to say that they're the worst invention ever to be put into a guitar.

I know, it pisses me off, it's really not all that hard to deal with, people just need to learn how to set it up. Or the whole, FR VS Hardtail....and are super torn between, like...get the floyd...you have the floyd, if you don't like it, block it off, BAM, now it's a hardtail, it's two in one. If you get JUST a hairtail, and now you want a floyd, you have to buy a whole new guitar basically.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Koshman32

Well when I got mine I was a beginner and didnt know shit about different bridges and stuff like that. I just dont like having one as a main guitar because you cant change the tuning. Thats why I prefer string thru.
Quote by Koshman32

+1

What really annoys me is how everybody's answer is 'block the trem'. If you didn't plan on using the trem, then why did you buy it?
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by notaspy2009
Well when I got mine I was a beginner and didnt know shit about different bridges and stuff like that. I just dont like having one as a main guitar because you cant change the tuning. Thats why I prefer string thru.

That doesn't make a floyd rose shit just because you don't prefer them.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by thrashdeth
+1

What really annoys me is how everybody's answer is 'block the trem'. If you didn't plan on using the trem, then why did you buy it?

Well if they block it because it's otherwise really good spec'd guitar, but don't have a hardtail version and only a floyd version.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Well if they block it because it's otherwise really good spec'd guitar, but don't have a hardtail version and only a floyd version.

Ok, I'll buy that, but it seems like everybody on this forum has that problem.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
+1

I prefer the feel of a floyd for playing on as opposed to a string through. The bridge just seems more flush with the body on a guitar with a floyd on it, it's all preference to be honest.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these: