No, there will be no pirate talk here, sorry to disappoint you guys. I'm talking about the concept of parroting. What I mean by parroting is the repetition of what someone else said, usually perceived as an authority or knowledgeable on some topic, in a conversation or debate. That isn't the best explanation, but I'm sure you guys can get my meaning.

What I'm wondering is the difference between someone parroting an opinion or view on a subject and when they actually have an opinion or view internalized (for lack of a better word) so that they aren't just repeating something.

Sometimes I would wonder if some of my knowledge that was gained in passing is really "my knowledge." I didn't study it myself, I didn't go on my own and read about it. The knowledge is more "secondary" in nature. But then I say to myself, "Well, learning is learning. You've got to learn somewhere." So when I repeat what I learned, I wonder if I am just parroting.

I bring this up because, like many UGers, have recently started university and feel this is pretty relevant. Nobody wants to be that guy who just repeats stuff they learned in class like that one dude in the epic Good Will Hunting scene. Also, I read Cracked a lot.

So what do you guys think about parroting and how to avoid it?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If you can apply the information or opinion to various situations in a nuanced way, demonstrating you actually understand it and its pros and cons, you won't be accused of parroting. Or even appealing to authority usually. But when it's "well that may be but Penn and Teller said it's bullshit, and they know their bullshit," that's the issue.

I was pleasantly surprised though. Thought this was gonna be another stupid-ass Australian craze.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Sep 27, 2011,
Thought this was gonna be another stupid ass Australian craze
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Saw the title and thought this was gonna be another stupid trend like planking or owling.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Saw the title and thought this was gonna be another stupid trend like planking or owling.

yeah, but like... Australian.
Thought this stupid ass Australian was gonna be another craze.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I really thought this was going be another crazy Australian craze.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
I didn't think this was going to be a stupid ass australian craze
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Squak squak squak squaka squak squak squak squak Australian craze.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Just be skeptical of everything you hear, at least to the appropriate extent. If it's something you can investigate yourself, and you care enough to take the time to do so, then investigate it.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Thought this was gonna be another Australian ass craze
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
No, there will be no pirate talk here, sorry to disappoint you guys. I'm talking about the concept of parroting. What I mean by parroting is the repetition of what someone else said, usually perceived as an authority or knowledgeable on some topic, in a conversation or debate. That isn't the best explanation, but I'm sure you guys can get my meaning.

What I'm wondering is the difference between someone parroting an opinion or view on a subject and when they actually have an opinion or view internalized (for lack of a better word) so that they aren't just repeating something.

Sometimes I would wonder if some of my knowledge that was gained in passing is really "my knowledge." I didn't study it myself, I didn't go on my own and read about it. The knowledge is more "secondary" in nature. But then I say to myself, "Well, learning is learning. You've got to learn somewhere." So when I repeat what I learned, I wonder if I am just parroting.

I bring this up because, like many UGers, have recently started university and feel this is pretty relevant. Nobody wants to be that guy who just repeats stuff they learned in class like that one dude in the epic Good Will Hunting scene. Also, I read Cracked a lot.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Oh God, what have I done?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Oh God, what have I done?

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

They also say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Cianyx
Better a parrot than a ferret

Better a parrot than a ferret.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
?it avoid to how and parroting about think guys you do what So

.lot a cracked read I, Also .scene Hunting Will
one that like class they learned in stuff repeats just who guy that be who wants Nobody
.relevant pretty is this feel and university started recently have ,UGers many like ,because up this bring I

.parroting just am I if wonder I ,learned I what repeat I when So ."somewhere learn to got You've .learning is learning ,Well" ,myself to say I then But .nature in "secondary" more is knowledge The .it about read and own my on go didn't I ,myself it study didn't I ".knowledge my" really is passing in gained was that knowledge my of some if wonder would I Sometimes

.something repeating just aren't they that so (word better a of lack for) internalized view and opinion an have actually they when and subject a on view or opinion and parroting someone between difference the is wondering I'm What

.meaning my get can guys sure I'm but ,explanation best the isn't That .debate of conversation a in ,topic some on knowledgeable or authority an as perceived usually ,said else someone what of repetition the is parroting by mean I What .parroting of concept the about talking I'm .guys you disappoint to sorry ,here talk pirate no be will there ,No
Quote by KTFM
They also say that flattery is the greatest form of imitation.

sometimes they say limitation is the greatest form of flattery.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
well i have a parrot. she looks like this:

you could try to just make up things. that way you know your knowledge is yours, because you made up the facts yourself out of thin air. just have some crazy opinions and views that aren't based on anything, but act like you are obviously correct and anyone who disagrees is just ignorant. that seems to be acceptable these days.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I know a person who Parrots guitar world. Everything he learns, and everything he plays is from Guitar World magazines.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by KTFM
Sometimes you've got to know your limits when attempting flattery.
Sometimes you've got to limit your flattery when attempting to know.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.