Hello Pit. I don't expect to get serious answers, but I'm banking on the off chance that an English professor or a person more well-versed in the language than I am stumbles upon this thread.

Know that I do not wish to know the answer to laugh at people who are using the word wrongly, but to satisfy my curiosity.

I've noticed that a lot of people are using the word "which" wrongly. Or at least I think they are.

Here's an example: Mary had taken up collecting stamps, which I don't even why she does it.

Here's what I think is correct: Mary had taken up collecting stamps, the reason for which I do not understand.

Having actually problems differentiating a noun and a verb until a few years ago, I'm sure I do not possess the capacity of understanding required to dissect the above two sentences to point out exactly the differences, but I hope that you understand what I'm trying to illustrate.

So, which is correct?
You're on the money.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You're grammatically correct.

'Which' doesn't modify anything in the first example, and that's what the word is for. The issue is that people have taken to mixing the words "which" and "although."

Example: Mary had started to collect stamps, although I don't understand why."
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MakinLattes
I saw this picture at which I smiled at it.

Well played. I spit my soda on my keyboard for your hilarity.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Don't use which at all, except for this case when I'm actually using which, but when I say which I try to different between which witch iz whitch.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Given the grammar shown in your opening post, you have bigger things to worry about than the correct usage of the word 'which',TS.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Linguistics major says: I believe this might be a "weak crossover effect", which is extremely fucking technical and boring. Congratulations on having independently discovered it.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Given the grammar shown in your opening post, you have bigger things to worry about than the correct usage of the word 'which',TS.

Not sure if compliment. /insert Joker picture

Also, is your name a reference to the In Flames song, or is the song itself a reference to the actual story?
Quote by triface
Not sure if compliment. /insert Joker picture]

Was just me being an arse about 'having actually problems' and 'point out exactly the difference' in your post

Also, is your name a reference to the In Flames song, or is the song itself a reference to the actual story?

Neither, it's the name of my band

Edit: I am aware of the In Flames song though - comes up in search results for us on Google after a few pages and videos of kids trying to play it on youtube after a few fan-shot vids of us lol.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Was just me being an arse about 'having actually problems' and 'point out exactly the difference' in your post

I was reading the post earlier on and I noticed "having actually problems" too, but I couldn't be bothered to change my post because I'm on my phone.
Quote by triface
Here's an example: Mary had taken up collecting stamps, which I don't even why she does it.

That's not so much a misuse of the word 'which' as it is a misuse of the English language as a whole.