Hows it going?! Good I hope. Been lurking around looking for answers to a few questions with no luck. Time to start my own thread.

I recently picked up the guitar again. Lost nearly everythkmg I used to have so I'm I'm the process of putting together everything I think I need to play. Right now I have a Vox VT20+ and a really crappy Silvertone (I think that's it at least). Previously I've owned a Les Paul Studio, Stratocaster and a few RG IBanez. None of them really left a lasting impression on me although I have to say the RG and Fender were the easiest to play. As far as the amp, I've owned a lot of those too but I do really like the Vox. I bought it for its flexibility and value. Granted, I know next to nothing so far it has served it purpose.

I'm shopping for a new guitar. I have about $1500 to spend. I'm leaning toward a Stratocaster Deluxe HSS. Almost ready to pull the trigger on it but decided to get some input from you guys. I like almost every genre except for the heavier metal stuff. Really like classic rock and some blues.

So, based off that is the fender a bad choice? What about future upgrades? I'm sure I'll eventually want to start replacing some of the stock hardware. The amp will probably go soon too. I'm open to suggestions. Especially tips on other guitars to try out.
well if the amp is probably gonna go like you say then i'd split up that 1500 between an amp and a guitar. 1500 can do some serious damage on craigslist. If you like classic rock and blues look into the fender blues jr's or hot rods, maybe a vox ac15? As far as guitars go I've seen american strats go on craigslist for as low as 400 around here so if you can get one that cheap you'd still have plenty of cash to do some upgrades even with buying an amp at the same time.
The Gibson ES-335 is perfect for blues and classic rock, in my opinion. Though, it isnt as comfortable as an American Strat. If you truly love the Strat, you could just buy it now and later on upgrade the two Humbuckers for TV Jone's Magnatron and Supertron pickups.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
i have a 2001 fender american deluxe strat HSS and it is an amazing guitar. I'm not sure how the newer production ones compare. Anyone who plays or hears my guitar is pretty astonished. It will do classic rock and blues beautifully.

Again if it is anything like mine you will not need to change any of the hardware. The bridge is great, the nut is great and the tuners are great.
This will be my main player also. I think as far as the ac15 I can do with the model on the Vox for now. I considered the same thing though.

I'll have to look further into the Gibson but I think I know what you're talking about. I'm thinking Lucille style? One day I'm sure I'll have something just like that in my ensemble.

Appreciate all the replies. Keep them coming please.
I may have an AC15 cookie tin amp available in a few weeks.

A strat would do the job fine. If it feels good in your hands it will be good. You have to play an instrument to know if you like it, no two are exactly the same.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So based on the responses the American Stratocaster is a solid choice. I'll probably have an amp thread going when I feel like I've outgrown the vt20. I was kind of just looking for alternatives. Perhaps not as expensive but at the same time if the money is worth it I'll happily fork it over.
American Strat is a great choice and the VT20 is a fine amp for its price point.

All that matters when you're spending more than $1000 on a guitar, is that you find the one you like the best looks-wise, feel-wise and sound-wise.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^Isn't that all that matters when buying a guitar at any price range?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by wearysaints
well if the amp is probably gonna go like you say then i'd split up that 1500 between an amp and a guitar. 1500 can do some serious damage on craigslist. If you like classic rock and blues look into the fender blues jr's or hot rods, maybe a vox ac15? As far as guitars go I've seen american strats go on craigslist for as low as 400 around here so if you can get one that cheap you'd still have plenty of cash to do some upgrades even with buying an amp at the same time.

+1

used les paul studio or 335

class 5
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Kind of leery buying a used Guitar for that much. I don't have faith in my ability to spot anything wrong with it that isn't obvious.