So.. I've gone through a few amps in the past few months.

Began with my HT-5 which I got last year, thanks to you guys.. Didn't fit me anymore as I changed styles rather drastically. It's definitely not a progressive metal amp.

Got my Flextone II Plus not long ago, which I liked for awhile...

Then FINALLY got an offer from someone for my HT-5. It was on CL for a good 7-8 months. They wanted to trade me a Jet City JCA2112R combo. I took it, assuming I could flip the JCA quicker than I could ever sell that damned HT-5. Those things are like a ****ing disease, sorry Blackstar, but I'm no longer a fan boy. Great amps for several genres and low volumes, but no one wants them second hand, at least around here.

The JCA obviously wasn't suited for me, but he threw so much at me.. The JCA, a 112 cab he built himself for the JCA (With a british vintage mojo speaker), and an MXR classic distortion.

Well, I had that for 2 weeks I believe. Someone posted an ad for a Peavey...

I'm sure half of you will already know what series it is.. But I'll try *Read: Terrible attempt* to make it suspenseful.

Annnnnnd here it is.

Yeah, he took the "fangs" off it, and I do think it looks better just plain like that. I have the stuff though, obviously, because I have the Peavey logo..

So there it is. A Peavey Vypyr 75. I really do love the Vypyr series. I played the 30 and the Tube 60 head, and ever since then i really had GAS for one. This is the 75, though.. Not the tube, but it's still just about as good. The tone I'm getting out of it blows my Flextone out of the water, and puts my HT-5 to shame.

Oh, and I got something with it.

Yep, the Sanpera II footswitch. And wow, does this bring out the amps best qualities. Tons of room to store presets, wah & volume pedals, and you can switch off the effects and stompboxes, as well as the delay and reverb, without touching the amp.. I'm fanboying a bit, but seriously. When people say these amps kick ass for how cheap and little they are.. They mean it. I ****ing love this thing.

Flextone hasn't been touched since I got this

All in all.. Great trade. Gave the guy my JCA as well as the cab for these. Cab & JCA weren't selling.. So win-win for me. Hell, in the future.. I might upgrade to the tube 60 since I can just keep the Sanpera. Oh, he also threw in this M-audio midi thing that's used to update it. works for me

Mini review: It's a modeler. Meaning it's versatile as all hell. I have 5-6 presets so far, and I have stuck to those primarily.. But I've played around with everything. I have one for sludge, one for straight up metalcore-ish stuff, one for leads, and 2 for cleans. Tone sounds wonderful. I also like the power soak knob, when its late at night..

I've got 2 questions.. What kind of USB cable do I need for recording? Also, any advice on getting a good djent-ish tone out of this? I've tried the XXX, the 6505, and the Diezel. Crank the mids, low bass, use my MXR 10-band to raise the high mids, and keep the treble at a reasonable level.. And it doesn't seem to sound very good.

Now I'm trying to sell my Flextone..
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 28, 2011,
I need to get one of those...

HNAD
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
I need to get one of those...

HNAD

Thanks!

Really, do not be turned off by the fact that it's a "cheap" modeler. I got this thing sounding much better than a 6505+ 112. I've gone back and tried that damn thing 5 or 6 times now. And this thing is better. I always end up turning off the 6505 and going back to the Vypyr section.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Thanks!

Really, do not be turned off by the fact that it's a "cheap" modeler. I got this thing sounding much better than a 6505+ 112. I've gone back and tried that damn thing 5 or 6 times now. And this thing is better. I always end up turning off the 6505 and going back to the Vypyr section.

No way am I scared by it, I love it A guys selling a 15w for $100 on my local classifieds...I'll try and get him down to $70
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Try the Rec Red channel. Don't raise the mids a shit load, it'll make things a bit nasally.

Mids are important but they're not the be-all end-all, especially for something like djent.

Great amps. My friend upgraded to a Vypyr 75 from his Line 6 Spider, I played it for a while and I was pretty impressed.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Try the Rec Red channel. Don't raise the mids a shit load, it'll make things a bit nasally.

Mids are important but they're not the be-all end-all, especially for something like djent.

Great amps. My friend upgraded to a Vypyr 75 from his Line 6 Spider, I played it for a while and I was pretty impressed.

Yeah, I'm still new to the whole djent thing. I mean I've been listening to it since sometime last year but it's only recently that i've attempted to get that sort of tone and play it.

I have my Agile 7 in G# for Periphery, but the EMGs sound SO shitty and I'm having such a hard time EQing with them for almost anything, especially djent.

My Schecter is in C standard/drop A# though, so I'm using that as my base for getting a djent tone. I'll try that..

Quote by Eppicurt
No way am I scared by it, I love it A guys selling a 15w for $100 on my local classifieds...I'll try and get him down to $70

Definitely try! I can't recommend these enough, especially if you just want something small like the 15 watter for home practice. I'm just a "hobby" player myself, never been in a band nor am I looking for one.. So you might call my 75 a bit overkill

But it sound just fine with a low master volume.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 28, 2011,
You should have got the 60.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You should have got the 60.

HNAD

Got this in a trade

If I could have gotten the 60, I would have. But I've never seen one listed around me. There's one of CL I saw that's with the sanpera II as well, but it's several hours away. Not worth it..
Quote by TheAbsentOne

I've got 2 questions.. What kind of USB cable do I need for recording?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Speed-Device-Cable-1-8m/dp/B00005KJJ9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317197947&sr=8-1

That type, standard USB 2.0 as found on printers etc

HNAD!
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
dont be hatin the flextone man, but the vypyr kicks its ass in versatility.....not to say the flextone doesnt have enough already
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by barnesybaby

Sweet! Never seen an end like that so I had to ask..

Also, no hating on the flextone. It's still kickass, just the Vypyr is a fair bit better IMO.
HNAD sir! i can say you will enjoy it very much The Rec Red channel is probably my favorite for distorted tones, with the Plexi green with pre gain rolled down for cleans. One interesting combination is JSX green mixed with the XR Wilde effect. I've gotten a crazy amount of tones out of mine, from Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You to Van Halen to more modern metal. If you're looking for any particular tones you can't find, PM me and i'll try to help Sorry i can't help on the whole djent tone though. Not really my thing
HNAD! I love the Vypers. I actually saved a friend's ass by telling him to get a Squier Strat and a Vyper 15 for his first guitar/amp. Hell, I'd be more than happy with that rig as a practice setup.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks to everyone.

Everytime I play this thing, I find another tone I love. This has been the one single amp I've owned where I haven't been disappointed by a single thing. I mean, I got 4 or 5 passable tones on the Flextone.. But this thing is so much better and quite honestly easier to achieve a good sound.

One thing I'm stuck on.. Using the "X boost" and the "tubescreamer" stompboxes. What do you set the parameters to to use these as, literally, a boost in front of say the 6505 or the duel rec.. I can't seem to figure it out right, it either sounds crappy or it just creates MOUNDS of feedback. I want to tighten up the sound more.

Also I tried the rec for djent.. It feels too loose. It has a BOOMING low end to it, which i've found to be awesome for other metal. But for djent I can't seem to get it to swing it..
So wait, you just did the same exact thread I did.

Da fuk.

JK man, HNGD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
So wait, you just did the same exact thread I did.

Da fuk.

JK man, HNGD!

I read yours after and went "OH WHAT THE FU-"

But yours is better, the tube 60
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I read yours after and went "OH WHAT THE FU-"

But yours is better, the tube 60120

fixed

for the boosts ( I have yet to mess with the parameters yet) but generally for clean boosting for metal you want the Gain on '0' and the Level on '10'. Additionally then you should be able to control the tone somewhat in which case decrease the Bass. I prefer the XBoost myself
So you traded a full tube JCA for a Vypyr? Do you feel like the vypyr is better than the JCA even though it's a modeler? I am between a JCA 22h,a Vypyr tube 60 or a Line 6 POD HD 500...and I'm really torn as hell
^ not my thread but that would def be a hard choice

best bet is to try to play them and make a decision.

my opinions

JCA - a bit thin and one dimensional for me but it is all tube and sounds good. FX loop.

Vypyr 60 - more versatile, headphones, USB, not all tube, a bit fake sounding, no loop.

POD HD - never played, obviously even more versatile, sounds good, needs speakers.

That last part is important to me. I like the smell of tubes in the morning and the way the speaker blows air on my leg hair
311, one drawback of the Vypyr tube over the POD would definitely be heat. Hot & muggy summer days + tube amp on = uggg Nice on those chilly fall, winter and spring days, though... which get a lot of here in Atlantic Canada
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs