so, to put it simply, i have yet to find a tone that I just really love. If I make a very heavy tone, it seems too muddy where I can't really articulate anything. Any advice out there? is there any websites out there that can help someone understand amps/recording/settings and such? my interface is a Line 6 UX1 if that makes any difference.
If you don't already have it, get the metal shop pack if you want useful metal tones out of pod farm. If you for whatever reason can't spare 20$ then look elsewhere for good digital tones (eg free sims).

Ok to be fair the Soldano model actually isn't half bad, but there are more options in the metal shop pack and I think the good models in that one are as good as pod farm is going to sound.
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 28, 2011,
The Metal Shop pack is essential to good heavy tones in POD Farm, however... I own POD Farm Platinum and ReValver MK III and the new TSE X50 beta is so good, I haven't used either one since I downloaded it.

Oh, and it's free.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I prefer the Anvil as of lately, there's just something about the x50 that's just too.... x50, guess I've been using it too much since the first beta. I've really started liking LePous Hybrit and Slo-100 sims lately, if you know how to tweak those two right then you're set.
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by Ascendant
I prefer the Anvil as of lately, there's just something about the x50 that's just too.... x50, guess I've been using it too much since the first beta. I've really started liking LePous Hybrit and Slo-100 sims lately, if you know how to tweak those two right then you're set.

You know, I downloaded Anvil a long time ago, but I never ended up trying it out, might have to load it up tomorrow and see how it sounds. TBH, the X50 is almost indistinguishable from a real 5150, though. The ReValver simulation is probably a bit more accurate to the real thing, but X50 has a more aggressive characteristic to it that I dig.

LePou's stuff is another decent one to look into. I use LeCab 2 which I really like, but I've honestly never been a fan of his amp models at all. For some reason, I just can't get them to sound at all usable in my mixes

Honestly, I didn't even like TSE's X30 at all either. X50 has just blown me away though. For a free sim, it's far more realistic than POD Farm could ever hope to be, and it saddens me that I spend $200 on the software, when this free sim does it better
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah the x50 is good alright, no doubt. It gives you the 5150 sound, bit it's not going to do a Mesa or Marshall tone, I'm more into the two latter lately, and Soldano (although it's not that far from a 5150, I prefer lepous slo for some reason over x50).
What sort of tone are you going for?

For metal tone I pretty much always use the same set up (sometimes with a few modifications but this is a great place to start)

- Tube Screamer: Gain 75% Drive 25% Tone to taste
- Cali Diamond Plate: Gain 50-70% EQ: Subtle
- Treadplate Cab: Room 0% Condenser Mic

Pretty solid metal tone. Sometimes I replace the Cali (Mesa Boogie) with the Criminal (Peavey 6505)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!