Alright so I'm a bassist in a 3 piece band: guitar, bass, drums, and no other instruments in the mix (the guitarist and I do vocals). I went halfsies on an Axe-Fx Standard with my band's guitarist, and I'm wondering what the best way to run it straight to the FOH is, such that all 3 of us can hear him well on stage. We'd like to avoid lugging his poweramp+cab to our gigs, and he has a couple of powered monitors, so we were thinking of going that route. Are powered monitors even a good idea? I run my head's cab simulated direct out straight to the board instead of micing my cab and can hear myself just fine through the stage monitors at most venues in my area. With that said, could the guitarist run the Axe-Fx straight without needing powered monitors? If he did use the powered monitors, then would the drummer and I need some as well to hear him or does he just need them to hear himself? Sorry if this sounds amateurish, I'm still learning.
You have to run it through the monitors. How the monitors can be adjusted per muso is totally down to the configuration of the PA. There is no one answer, you have to take it on a case by case basis - that's why most of us refuse to rely on foldback totally for our monitoring and lug around big guitar amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Would we all need our own powered monitors then, or just the guitarist? Would the venue's foldback system most likely serve well enough for the drummer and I or would we not be able to hear the guitar well enough?
they usually provide monitors for all band members
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
No, sorry I meant that there ARE stage monitors for each of us. I'm asking does the guitarist need to bring some sort of powered speaker setup (i.e. active monitor wedges) running directly from the Axe-Fx in order to hear himself live, and do the rest of us need a similar powered speaker setup to hear him as well?
I get that the guitarist will need to either use powered FRFR speakers or a poweramp+cabinet setup. If he uses a poweramp+cab then it's simple, it works like a normal head/amp rig with the ability to run a cabinet simulated direct out to the FOH as well. What I'm asking is will the rest of the band need to have a powered FRFR setup that is contiguous with the guitarist's powered FRFR setup to hear the guitar on stage if the guitarist chooses that option, or will the venue's own stage monitor system allow us to hear him clearly?
It's honestly up to him and how he wants to hear his sound. The monitor will really only be for the band, since you'd be running the Axe directly into the board, so if he feels he needs better monitoring of his sound, or other band members need it, then go for it, if not, don't bother spending the cash.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you like you can go axe fx ---> mixer and just have your sound through the in house monitors. It will probably work fine but if you're like me and is used to having an amp roaring in your back you can have a fx-loop out routing in the patch and plug it in to the loop of any amp. My live setup tonight for instance:

Axe Fx2 XLR out ---> FOH
+
Axe Fx 2 loop out into Dual Rectifier on stage for stage sound.
Many thanks to both of you! We'll try out running straight to the mixer and if it doesn't work out we may just use your suggestion Ola. Quick question, when you ran the Axe-Fx 2 into the Dual Rec, did you set up the loop out to bypass the cab sim? If you did, then how did you do that without disabling the cab sim on the XLR out?
Quote by The Knife
Many thanks to both of you! We'll try out running straight to the mixer and if it doesn't work out we may just use your suggestion Ola. Quick question, when you ran the Axe-Fx 2 into the Dual Rec, did you set up the loop out to bypass the cab sim? If you did, then how did you do that without disabling the cab sim on the XLR out?

Just after the amp sim do a shunt to a separate signal chain that leads to the fx loop out.
So the amp sim has shunts that goes to that and then to the cab sim. Pretty easy but here's a picture:

Quote by Ola Englund
Just after the amp sim do a shunt to a separate signal chain that leads to the fx loop out.
So the amp sim has shunts that goes to that and then to the cab sim. Pretty easy but here's a picture:

+1

That's what I do.

FX loop to poweramp/cab and the cab sim straight to the mixer.
/rig
Quote by Ola Englund

Great, that's really simple! Thanks for all the help!