Hi guys,

I am just wanting some advice.

For some one just getting into using effects, do you recommend buying one multi effect unit, like the Vox Tonelab, or just buying the effects I think I will use individually over time?

I don't listen to a lot of music with effects on, but a delay, chorus, flanger a harmoniser could certainly find their place in my music.

I plan to buy a wah pedal to.

Also, don't so buy a new amp, because I will do that first any way.
What's your budget?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Yeah, what's your budget, music style and so on? That's a pretty general question. If you play lots of styles, live as well and need the versatility, a multieffects pedal may be the way to go for now. Or you could also buy the individual effects and swap them in and out as you wish.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by kutless999
What's your budget?

Good question. I had not really thought about that.

I guess I'll just say £300, but if I was buying pedals separately I would not buy them all at the same time.

As for style, I actually meat to put that, and must have forgotten.

I mostly play rock, metal and blues. I am a big fan of, and loving playing in the style of guys like Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Page and Jason Becker (not big effects guys I know). But I do play a wide range, like the odd bit of muse of RHCP's.

I am also looking into teaching and maybe session work, which may make a difference.

Some multi effects brand recommendations could be good to, if you feel that is the way to go.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 28, 2011,
I used to buy pedals in order of what song I needed one for. But a good multi-fx is always a good start. Digitech RP series is a killer.

But I just bought a delay for the hell of it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If you're new to effects and stuff but don't know what to buy, then a mfx unit would be a good place to start. And +1 on the digitech rp series. Great value for the money.
I've satisfied all my tonal needs with the Line 6 Hd500, and i play very effects laden stuff. Perhaps you should check out the HD300 or HD400, which may be more suited to your needs?
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Line 6 HD's are very cool. Snag one of those if you can.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
after you get your next amp i'd see if an overdrive is needed. next i'd start with a delay and wah. these are the most basic and most likely to be used fx.
Multi FX are a good way to go as you can experiment with them more than if you just buy one specific pedal.

I have a Boss ME-50 and it does more than I've ever needed it to, I'd recommend looking at Boss's products. Digitech are also generally highly rated. A lot of Boss & Digitech units have the advantage that they can be used as separate effects pedals as well as having the capability to programme patches to group effects.

Lot of people here also recommend Line 6's products, these focus more on patches & amp simulations rather than acting as separate effects (although I believe they can be programmed to do this).

Most decent multi FX units include an expression pedal which can be used for wahwah.

From what you've said, I'd recommend going with Boss or Digitech as it sounds like you'd prefer to experiment with the separate effects rather than entering the potentially complicated world of patch programming that you'd be getting into with a Line 6.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
For effects alone, I suggest a used Boss GT 10 or a Line 6 M5/9/13.

If you also want amp modelling, RP 355/500/1000, Line 6 HD series, Vox Tonelab.

And !Gary: ALL MFX units allow patch programming. Even the ME50 lets you programme patches. All MFX units also allow you to use it as a pedalboard rather than a patch based system.
Quote by GaryBillington
From what you've said, I'd recommend going with Boss or Digitech as it sounds like you'd prefer to experiment with the separate effects rather than entering the potentially complicated world of patch programming that you'd be getting into with a Line 6.
You got it backwards between Digitech and Line 6. Line 6 has the M series which is based on the separate pedal layout. Digitech doesn't have any multifx that follow the pedal paradigm.

Also the Zoom G3 multifx is based on the pedal paradigm, although you can make one of the pedals an amp model.
Also, the reverb and choruses aren't out of this world on the HD. I really had to tweak.
Quote by fly135
You got it backwards between Digitech and Line 6. Line 6 has the M series which is based on the separate pedal layout. Digitech doesn't have any multifx that follow the pedal paradigm.

Also the Zoom G3 multifx is based on the pedal paradigm, although you can make one of the pedals an amp model.

You really like your g3, huh?
Quote by kutless999
You really like your g3, huh?
I've gotten some really good songs out of it (IMO ). And you can't argue with success. Bottom line is that it fits my style of playing. May not be the same for everyone else.
For you it's probably great because of the ease of use, portability, and that it has synced drums with the looper.
Quote by kutless999
For you it's probably great because of the ease of use, portability, and that it has synced drums with the looper.
That's why I initially bought it. But was pleasantly surprised to find that the quality of tone was very good. And it will easily fit in with individual pedals for those who are afraid to commit to just a multifx.
If you like it that's not a problem.
personally i prefer individual pedals over multi effects. probably because i don't really use a lot of effects and i like the few effects i do use to sound as good as i can afford lol but if you plan on using a lot of different sounds and experimenting multi effects is probably the way to go for you. i've heard a lot of good things about digitech rp but i don't really know a whole lot about multieffect units to be honest.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull.

I am pretty sure the amp I get will be a Jet City JCA, which will need a boost, for which I am thinking a tube screamer or GT-OD. I then want a decent wah, so will probably get a cry baby.

After that other effects come in. I dont think I'll use amp models unless I use them for recording straight into my computer, which when I think about it, is very likely.

Any way, thanks guys!!
Quote by jkielq91
Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull.

I am pretty sure the amp I get will be a Jet City JCA, which will need a boost, for which I am thinking a tube screamer or GT-OD. I then want a decent wah, so will probably get a cry baby.

After that other effects come in. I dont think I'll use amp models unless I use them for recording straight into my computer, which when I think about it, is very likely.

Any way, thanks guys!!

definitely try a green rhino, definitely my favorite overdrive pedal, hell its my favorite pedal period.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby