Here's my brand new guitar:

It's an Ibanez Darkstone DN500. Typical Ibanez guitars are lightweight and have very thin necks, but this one is totally different! The body and the neck are made with sapele, a very heavy African wood similar to mahogany which is sometimes used on acoustic guitars because of his resonance. Needless to say, the Darksone is extremely heavy, even heavier than my old Gibson Explorer.

The neck is rather fat (not like a Les Paul, but definitely thicker than the average Ibanez) and has 22 medium frets (not jumbo) on a rosewood fretboard. It's a set neck so the sustain is amazing. It's also verys smooth and comfortable and the upper frets can be reached easily.

Now, the pickups. Although they are stock Ibanez pickups (built exclusively for this guitar), they are very well made and have a lot of power, clarity and sustain. The tone knob has a coil-tap so you can go from a Stratocaster sound to a Les Paul sound. The Darkstone is labeled as rock/metal guitar, but you can actually play anything.

I think it's one of the best guitars for the price. I paid only 485€ and got a great instrument played by many professional metal bands (Epica, Deathstars, Sabaton, etc). It's more similar to a Les Paul than a typical Ibanez, and this is a good thing for me.

PROS:

- Balanced and comfortable to play
- The neck is not too thin and not too thick
- High quality stock pickups
- Thick, full, fat and rich sound, just like a Gibson
- Endless sustain
- Extremely versatile

CONS:

- Very heavy (it's a pro for me, but some people prefer lightweight guitars)
- Medium frets (I prefer jumbo)
- The input jack is a little tight and it's kinda difficult to remove the cable

Highly recommended! 8/10
I have literally never seen one of those before. Good looking guitar, but I don't think the headstock goes well with it. A Schecter or Hagstrom shaped head would go better I think.

HNGD
I'm iffy on the body but those damn headstocks are ugly as hell. They only fit their artcore semihollows.

Nonetheless HNGD, dude
Very cool

HNGD!

I have to be honest I love some of the new guitars Ibanez are doing. I cant wait for the FR100 now.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah guys, I agree, the headstock is ugly and doesn't fit the rest of the guitar.

Anyway, I just put some new Elixir strings, did a good setup and now my Darkstone plays like a dream. The action is really low but there are no fret buzzes or muted notes, not even on the highest frets. Extremely easy to play.
Last edited by Poglia at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by Poglia
Yeah guys, I agree, the headstock is ugly and doesn't fit the rest of the guitar.

Anyway, I just put some new Elixir strings, did a good setup and now my Darkstone plays like a dream. The action is really low but there are no fret buzzes or muted notes, not even on the highest frets. Extremely easy to play.

The headstock is my favorite part about the guitar(aesthetically of course)
Used in Sabaton? That's like a million pros. One for each note and chord in each song.
HNGD!

Not a huge fan of the shape personally, but I really like some of the newer guitars Ibanez are putting out, a nice change from the RG/S series.
I'm looking at buying one of these or an ARZ. The only thing I'm not really liking on this guitar is the medium frets. However I haven't played it yet. I'm a sucky guitar player and from what I understand jumbo frets are easier to play.
Quote by Bowhunt
I'm looking at buying one of these or an ARZ. The only thing I'm not really liking on this guitar is the medium frets. However I haven't played it yet. I'm a sucky guitar player and from what I understand jumbo frets are easier to play.

Not really.

It's probably the last thing most people think about in terms of playability. Try one out and see what you think. I have guitars with jumbo and medium frets and I've never actually noticed any difference in playability that I could attribute to the height of the frets.
i'm wondering it this is a neck through model.

hngd!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ibanez website says set necks..

HNGD
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Well. . . it was used in Sabaton, until they changed basically their whole lineup.
Come back, Rikard!
To Mr. Rikard Sundén,

Please come back - Sabaton needs you!
Alright you got me. When you said "Not your typical Ibanez," I was expecting a HSH superstrat with a Floyd Rose in a color besides Red, White or Black, like maybe a Fluorescent Yellow RG1XXV.

HNGD! Anyways.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Necro'd or not, that's a nice guitar!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Necro'd or not, that's a nice guitar!

YOU AND YOUR LOGIC SHUT UP!!!

But I agree
I think that this might be my next guitar. I want to get the mirror finish though, since it already comes with p90's.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
HNGD! Would you say the neck is PRS-like, or Fender Stratocaster-Like?

Its definitely more of an epiphone lp like carve only wide nut spacing. Sounded a bit like an lp too. So more Prs like for sure. I had the dn400 until a few weeks ago. Great sounding guitar, but god damn is sapele heavy.