Hey guys,
I;ve been playing for a while now and I noticed that as I keepl playing, my right hand uses not only the wrist, but thumb and index finger holding the pick aswell!
How do I stop it?
I've been trying to disable it in order to play only using my wrist but this is teribly difficult at the moment .
Do you have any advices, solutions to this issue?
It like 70% of the job is done by the wrist, but 30% is made using fingers which are innacuarate and they make my hand tired after a few longer runs.
How do I immobilize my thumb and index finger to force the wrist to do the whole job???
Greetings
Gettin' better ^_^
--{matt}-- This guy is using his thumb. Just look the way he's using it to pick strings...

jkielq91 While playing from the wrist, the wrist is the only part that should be moving whereas in my case the thumb and index finger of right hand are picking the strings aswell, almost independently to the wrist.
This should not happen
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Shadowy
--{matt}-- This guy is using his thumb. Just look the way he's using it to pick strings...

jkielq91 While playing from the wrist, the wrist is the only part that should be moving whereas in my case the thumb and index finger of right hand are picking the strings aswell, almost independently to the wrist.
This should not happen

You mean while your wrist flexes as the picking motion your thumb and index finger that hold the pick are also providing their own picking action also? I'm not certain but I'm interpreting what youre doing as almost like a pseudo sarod pick?
Last edited by Phoenix V at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by Phoenix V
You mean while your wrist flexes as the picking motion your thumb and index finger that hold the pick are also providing their own picking action also? I'm not certain but I'm interpreting what youre doing as almost like a pseudo sarod pick?

I beleive he means that while his wrist is perofrming the picking motion. The resistance of the strings is causing his thumb/index finger joint to move also. The way to fix this is to close the gap between your index finger and middle finger.
Quote by mrbabo91
I beleive he means that while his wrist is perofrming the picking motion. The resistance of the strings is causing his thumb/index finger joint to move also. The way to fix this is to close the gap between your index finger and middle finger.

Yes. But it is not only the resistance of strings that make my thumb move- it['s the thumb itself trying to help the wrist to pick.
So they move sort of together: the wrist is picking and the thumb is moving aswell to help it pick.
It sounds veery dirty (pick's scratching noise) and I cant play comfortably because fingers get tired fast.
My accuracy also isnt as good as it would be if I was playing using only my wrist.
Gettin' better ^_^
You don't "immobilise" the thumb and forefinger. They should be fairly relaxed. You may be holding the pick in an odd way, check against this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

What you do to fix this (if you feel it's an issue) is simply start picking without using them. Might have to do it really slowly at first, but then you'll get the hang of it.
I am holding it relaxed, but its veeery difficult atm not to use these fingers! surprisingly difficult.
In fact I am curently playing at 70bpm and my moves are as subtle as hammer hits.
They're big. Way to big. In fact I could make a vid to show you and apply some feedback. Want me to post it?
Gettin' better ^_^
It's a bit better now but there's new issue - as I keep playing my fingers (index one in right hand) is muting the string as the wrist makes picking motion.
It looks like this: my wrist is making the picking motion and the index finger and thumb which remain still are sometimes muting the noes they play. mostly on downstrokes.
Gettin' better ^_^