Page 1 of 2
I have a budget of 2700 and had ESP KH-2 SE limited edition in mind (Please don't recommend other guitars) and a Fender Mustang III amplifier connected to my GT-10 with 4 cable method so i'm overpassing all the Fender's amp modellings. Now I want to know, first of all.
1. If I can connect a amplifier head to my combo and use the combo as cabinet? It's a 1x12" and has FX loop and usual input.
2. A Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, or a new guitar. I got Ibanez S7420 ( I dont want a 7 string for my new music) And I got a Fender SRV Signature for cleans and blues.
3. How loud would a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with smallest possible Mesa Cab be? (1x12")? I play in an apartment.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by omidmash at Sep 28, 2011,
just a comment about amps, tube amps in specific. Tube amps sound better at louder volumes, and the mesa is no exception to this idea. I play my marshall in my bedroom at home, (house) and my wife wants to strangle me, and i never get the volume knob above 2. You might want to reconsider, unless you are planning on playing out then the recto will suffice, but sad to say you will not be taking advantage of its full potential in an apartment setting.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yeah, that's pretty true and you need to pump the volume up for the natural sound. So what do you think? Roll with the guitar and forget about the amp?
Will you be giging with this amp? Playing in a studio? playing at home? or all 3?

I personally feel a super big, expensive amp is a waist if your just playing at home as it will never reach its full potential.

Check out the 20 watt Jet City JCA. Its a lot cheaper, but more home friendly, and you could buy a new guitar as well.

Or maybe the new mini rectifier?
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by omidmash
1. If I can connect a amplifier head to my combo and use the combo as cabinet? It's a 1x12" and has FX loop and usual input.
Not likely.
2. A Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, or a new guitar. I got Ibanez S7420 ( I dont want a 7 string for my new music) And I got a Fender SRV Signature for cleans and blues.
Are you happy with your current amp? Do you need an amp as loud as a Mesa? Are you in a band or playing gigs? All things to really consider
3. How loud would a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with smallest possible Mesa Cab be? (1x12")? I play in an apartment.
Whatever you plug it into, it will be loud. I have a Blackstar 100 watt head and when I'm playing at home I never turn the master past about 2 or 3 and I'm sure most of my neighbours can hear me. Even at band practice and gigs I rarely turn the master past 4, with most of the other volume controls down fairly low.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Butt Rayge at Sep 28, 2011,
Thanks for the advices, I play at home 95% of time but I guess I should just go with a new guitar with active pickups as the sound change is quite noticeable. And I play in small live gigs like maximum 5 times per year but I do close mic for most of time, and my fender tbh is loud as a truck. I can't raise the volume higher than 3 when nobody is home, in practice jams I play on 4 and keep up with drums and on live I rarely go higher than 7 for 250 people, and that even is reduced through my pedal and gt10, I just was unsure if the sound difference AT LOW VOLUME is worth paying well over 3000 euros.
If you like your tone, go for a guitar, even though getting a kh-2 is pretty stupid in my book. If you don't like your tone, then idk get a new amp? It all really depends on where your at, and it seems that your pretty set on getting that KH-2.
I love the tones I can get with my ibanez's humbuckers, and the clean is always good on a fender amp. What is your reason for kh/2? That it's kirks, or that it's a signature or maybe the ESP? I like the fact that only 100 of it is made so if I need to, I can sell it later for a good deal of money, the neck thru, shape and color are all I love, next to OFR and scalloped frets from 17 on.
What kind of music do you play?

Check out the Egnater Rebel 30. Two channels with a separate wattage control from 1w to 30w so you can have a nice crunch at lower power and lots of headroom for nice cleans.
The Rebel 30 also has a silent mode for recording full blast without bothering the neighbours.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Can 30 watts keep up with anything? I play Thrash metal and some Pink Floyd style rock.
And your recommendation on a EMG 81/60, Neckthru, OFR guitar which is not custom made would be?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_mii_emg_blk_nt.htm

EDIT: ok so it has an 81 in the neck, just buy a 60 and sell the 81 on ebay or something. those emgs probably have the quick-connect system, anyway (not certain, but they may do).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a new amp, but not a dual rectifier. you have plenty good guitars, but a relatively poor amp, so your tone will benefit most from getting a better amp. however, a dual rectifier is way too loud for an apartment (I play one), and it sounds rather poor at lower volume settings.

I would look at something like a carvin V3MC (you mentioned euro's and I don't know how much carvin's go for in Euro's, but I'm sure this falls in your budget). it can be switched down to 7 watts, which is fine for an apartment and up to 50 watts which is more than gigable. it have good high gain and more than resonable clean settings.
And what guitar would you recommend for a bit better looks that that? I'm sick of black guitars, that's why im looking at KH-2 as well. the finish is outstanding.
For amps, what would you recommend for a half stack for thrash?
Quote by krehzeekid
get a new amp, but not a dual rectifier. you have plenty good guitars, but a relatively poor amp, so your tone will benefit most from getting a better amp. however, a dual rectifier is way too loud for an apartment (I play one), and it sounds rather poor at lower volume settings.

I would look at something like a carvin V3MC (you mentioned euro's and I don't know how much carvin's go for in Euro's, but I'm sure this falls in your budget). it can be switched down to 7 watts, which is fine for an apartment and up to 50 watts which is more than gigable. it have good high gain and more than resonable clean settings.

The question should be, will the carvin v3m sound better at apt/home levels than the dual rec. 7 watts is way way too loud for an apt. Hell, a cranked 1w valve amp would be!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
TS, what kinds of sounds do you want, saying a thrash sound is not really specific. If you know the history of Kirk/James rig it has changed a lot over the years. Also, why are you looking for a half stack if you live an apartment?
Quote by omidmash
And what guitar would you recommend for a bit better looks that that? I'm sick of black guitars, that's why im looking at KH-2 as well. the finish is outstanding.
For amps, what would you recommend for a half stack for thrash?

ah right I just assumed the kh2 was black as most of them are

I mean if that's the colour you want, and that's the only guitar you can easily get in that colour, and you're ok with paying a bit more for a sig (as far as i'm aware the kh2 is based on the mii, and is almost identical), then by all means go for it. I think kirk used the mii before he got his sig model.

you're in europe, right? a laney gh 50 or 100L head combined with some form of cab with decent speakers (maybe v30s for thrash? ) would work without completely breaking the bank. doesn't have a separate clean channel, though, if that's important. the vh100r does, but it's more expensive. there's also the newer ironheart, but i haven't tried it (and the fact it's cheaper than the gh and vh makes me a bit wary that maybe it's not made as well).

Engls are very good at low volumes, and depending on where you in europe are might not be much more than the laneys. they're smoother and more refined sounding than the laneys, but they'll definitely do thrash. The blackmore is probably the head you'd want for 80s thrash, again without completely breakin the bank.

Quote by DarthV
The question should be, will the carvin v3m sound better at apt/home levels than the dual rec. 7 watts is way way too loud for an apt. Hell, a cranked 1w valve amp would be!

+1

I'm not sure the carvin will be that great value in europe, either. In the US, they're super value, in europe, not so much.

Haven't tried it either, by the way
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 29, 2011,
Hm. I came up with another amp which REALLY got me. Mesa Boogie Mark V COMBO. Can go very low on wattage and goes up to 90 watts which is a blast, and costs nearly a fortune. Any tips on that one?

I know it sounds retarded but can I get a half decent metal noise with my fender tex pups or my ibanez stock s7420 pups?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah right I just assumed the kh2 was black as most of them are

I mean if that's the colour you want, and that's the only guitar you can easily get in that colour, and you're ok with paying a bit more for a sig (as far as i'm aware the kh2 is based on the mii, and is almost identical), then by all means go for it. I think kirk used the mii before he got his sig model.

you're in europe, right? a laney gh 50 or 100L head combined with some form of cab with decent speakers (maybe v30s for thrash? ) would work without completely breaking the bank. doesn't have a separate clean channel, though, if that's important. the vh100r does, but it's more expensive. there's also the newer ironheart, but i haven't tried it (and the fact it's cheaper than the gh and vh makes me a bit wary that maybe it's not made as well).

Engls are very good at low volumes, and depending on where you in europe are might not be much more than the laneys. they're smoother and more refined sounding than the laneys, but they'll definitely do thrash. The blackmore is probably the head you'd want for 80s thrash, again without completely breakin the bank.

+1

I'm not sure the carvin will be that great value in europe, either. In the US, they're super value, in europe, not so much.

Haven't tried it either, by the way

Thanks for epic reply. I'll check them all out!
yeah i imagine a mark V would work. I've never tried the mark series, but i think they're meant to get pretty high gain. stock ibby pickups should do metal ok (though an upgrade would improve the tone), the tex mex pickups... if the amp can get high gain they'll work, but humbuckers would be better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mean, are they worth 2800 euros compared to ESP KH-2?
It's technically, upgrading Ibanez S7420 to ESP KH-2
or
upgrading Fender Mustang III to Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo?
Quote by omidmash
Hm. I came up with another amp which REALLY got me. Mesa Boogie Mark V COMBO. Can go very low on wattage and goes up to 90 watts which is a blast, and costs nearly a fortune. Any tips on that one?

I know it sounds retarded but can I get a half decent metal noise with my fender tex pups or my ibanez stock s7420 pups?

your ibanez will be fine.

the mesa sounds okay at louder home volumes (stuff that hopefully wont piss of your neighbours). but, it is definitely a big, loud amp, so you'll still have to be very careful about turning it up. it sounds pretty good at lower volumes though (much better than a dual rec- my brother has a mark v and I have a dual rec, both at home)
Quote by krehzeekid
your ibanez will be fine.

the mesa sounds okay at louder home volumes (stuff that hopefully wont piss of your neighbours). but, it is definitely a big, loud amp, so you'll still have to be very careful about turning it up. it sounds pretty good at lower volumes though (much better than a dual rec- my brother has a mark v and I have a dual rec, both at home)

So you will recommend the amp over guitar, right?
Quote by omidmash
So you will recommend the amp over guitar, right?

yup.

i would suggest, though, that you go to a shop and try as many different amps as you can AT THE VOLUME YOU'LL PLAY AT!!!! some tube amps do sound okay at lower volumes, but most tend to be quite thin until you turn them up. its best that you try out a bunch and see which sounds best for your uses before you commit to plunking any cash on an amp
Quote by omidmash
I mean, are they worth 2800 euros compared to ESP KH-2?
It's technically, upgrading Ibanez S7420 to ESP KH-2
or
upgrading Fender Mustang III to Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo?

i'd go with the amp, but at the same time there's no need to go for either extreme. going with the esp mii (yeah, i know it's black, but still... there's an urban camo version for a couple of hundred euro more, if you're interested) for ~1500 euro and then a laney gh (around the £500 mark here in the UK) or blackmore (around the 1000 euro mark) coupled with a decent 2x12 cab might be the best of both worlds.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would rather get the best thing right now than spending a lot more upgrading what I have to what I want. The next chance I get i'll upgrade the guitar then. You know what I mean?
Quote by omidmash
Quick question. Can the V combo be connected to a cab?

yes. it should have 8 and 4 ohm outputs, though it will work with a 19 ohm cabinet as well. the details of what will and will not work are very well explained in the owners manual on the mesa website.

also, mesa has very recently released a mini-rectifier. basically, a 2 channel 25 watt (switchable to 10) dual rec.
Quote by omidmash
I would rather get the best thing right now than spending a lot more upgrading what I have to what I want. The next chance I get i'll upgrade the guitar then. You know what I mean?

oh that's an admirable plan as long as it doesn't take you another 10 years to save up for the amp, lol. But if you can save up for the amp and it won't take you too long, then by all means go for the best. It does save money in the long run (assuming you don't like the cheaper stuff as much, and with the caveat that not everything which is dearer is better).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yeah, that'd be fine anything less than a year (depending on how quickly you need it, of course- if you have a big gig coming up at the weekend things are more urgent ) is normally worth waiting for, in my opinion, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thank you, so i'm pretty much set on Mark V. Anyone has experience with it? how'd you like and rate it? I know its wrong forums but let's hear it here too
Quote by omidmash
thank you, so i'm pretty much set on Mark V. Anyone has experience with it? how'd you like and rate it? I know its wrong forums but let's hear it here too

You'll never want to play another amp again.
Quote by omidmash

wonderful amp. takes a while to really understand its full potential, but that potential is truly great. wonderful tones and excellent feel. the only reason I got a roadster instead was because I didn't need the graphic eq
Sounds good by since you guys know, how loud should it be for proper sound? Let's say, on 10 watt setting comparing it to shouting of human being cause I have no other ideas.
Page 1 of 2