We are an engineering team that is trying to create a better something. We are focusing our ideas on guitars. We want to create something that will help people learn faster or play easier. What are some problems you have had? Any problems you have had while learning or just playing will be welcomed. Thank you for your support if you post. Please describe the problem in detail if you can, so we can make the best solution possible.
Hello there, you reached deep to my heart on this one. I taught myself to play guitar and have been playing for 3 years. I learned mostly on jamplay.com and other sites. To start, I learned chords and played 'til my fingers bled'. There's a first issue: you need to build up callouses on your fretting hand fingers. It still hurts and I've done a slight bit of damage through bad habits. That's a pitfall of self-learning that you might not hear much about. Speed comes with confidence, I've found but with speed can sometimes cause awkward hand/wrist positions. I find with heavy barre chord pieces that chords played closer to the nut start to hurt my wrist. Probably a bad habit again but after a few hours of playing I do have pain for the rest of the day. Another thing you might hear about is the volume of information. There's so much out there and often two sources may give conflicting advice. I just use my own judgement, as with anything else, but it's tempting to believe sources too quickly. Anyhow, not sure if that will help at all but if it does, great. Cheers (have to say that or they kick me out of the country )
Kevin
Can you be a bit more specific about where you're going with this thread please - is this a school project, a business venture or what?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Can you be a bit more specific about where you're going with this thread please - is this a school project, a business venture or what?

Judging by the profile - born in 1994 & occupation listed as student, seems like it's going to be a school project.

If it leads somewhere, good luck to him. Maybe he'll carve himself a unique niche in the industry....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd say the only problems I faced when learning was barre chords...

I was lucky in the sense that the guitar came VERY natural to me. My picking/strumming technique is pretty bob on, and was from the start, so never struggled with that.

I should probably do more streching exercises to strengthen my left hand, but I'm dead lazy haha.

So yeah, most probably jumpIng from open to barre chords (when I first started)
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I wanted to play guitar, but the "guitar" I bought had 4 strings!
I recall three early hurdles I overcame within the first year or so. (and that was a long time ago, around 1976)
First, fretting an open "G" chord with my pinkie on the high "E" string rather than my ring finger. I realized right off this was a superior way to do it, and it made changing chords in "C" or "G" much easier, but my pinkie would not cooperate!
Finally it just started working.
Second was the dreaded barre chord. I knew nothing about guitar setup or action adjustment back then, but when my local repair guy offered to set up my little Yamaha it made everything much easier.
Finally, (since I was studying bluegrass) it was getting that bluegrass/country "boom-chicka-boom" strumming pattern down reliably and cleanly.
Seemed like I flailed away for a month. Good for a couple of measures, then it would go South...
Finally, one day, it just "clicked" and I was off.
Past those initial problems, I learned everything else in a pretty linear manner.
engineering focused on hardware or software?
you guys are suggesting a guitar that frets the chords by itself with those posts
id say a guitar that shows me the notes of the fretboard and gives me input with the computer..
would have helped tons and tons at the beginning.. you could also ave software that interacts with the guitar to teach you
Quote by Slashiepie
you guys are suggesting a guitar that frets the chords by itself with those posts
id say a guitar that shows me the notes of the fretboard and gives me input with the computer..
would have helped tons and tons at the beginning.. you could also ave software that interacts with the guitar to teach you

You mean like LEDs in the fretboard to show you the notes in a chosen scale? I'm fairly sure I've seen guitars on ebay with that functionality. I've also wondered how useful it would be as you wouldn't really see the fretboard if you're holding the guitar in front of you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Slashiepie

A guitar like that has already been featured on the UG front page. http://www.fretlight.com/
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Muscle memory. Took a lot of time to get the muscle memory down, but I don't see how this can be remedied.
Yes this is a school project yet it will be done on a professional level. We have access to professionals and will be competing for patents and scholarships. Please give us more problems. Also, How much trouble do you have with pinky coordination?
Quote by Slashiepie

We'd be mostly focusing on the hardware aspect of it.
Quote by Knowing
Yes this is a school project yet it will be done on a professional level. We have access to professionals and will be competing for patents and scholarships. Please give us more problems. Also, How much trouble do you have with pinky coordination?

In that case I'll let it stay open - I was just wary of having a repeat of the Sample Tremolo incident...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458994&highlight=sample+tremolo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Flibo
A guitar like that has already been featured on the UG front page. http://www.fretlight.com/

hhh thanks for the link!
interesting stuff!! i dont see a use for it right now.. however i cant help but to feel curiouos as to what effect would it have on beginners.. im sure one learsn the patterns quickly.. but wether taking that pressure of your mind is a good or bad thing on the long run.. thats the question..
Quote by Knowing

a little more detail would be cool..
are you thinkin of adding features on guitars like eddie van halens wolfgang that lets him change tuning with one pull ? or make a new invent altogether ? some new floyd rose ?

As for the list of beginner problems:

lack of motivation
overwhelmed by how much stuff there is to learn..
weak fingers..
weak concentration skills..
wrong technique..
wrong habits..
not sticking to learing one thing at a time and moving on..
not mastering anything before moving on the other things..
not learning the fretboard..
not learning music notation..
not learning good posture..
etc..

its hard to tackel those problems at the hardware level , but i guess thats where your creativity and the pros will come in
Those fretlights have been around since I started learning
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by MickAlmighty
I'd say the only problems I faced when learning was barre chords...

I was lucky in the sense that the guitar came VERY natural to me. My picking/strumming technique is pretty bob on, and was from the start, so never struggled with that.

I should probably do more streching exercises to strengthen my left hand, but I'm dead lazy haha.

So yeah, most probably jumpIng from open to barre chords (when I first started)

Pretty much exactly this.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Learning theory. I still haven't learned it.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
precision and memory in the beginning. Which finger goes where, and accurately, while doing changes quickly.
Precision. I used to make a lot of mistakes while playing (e.g. being slightly off time, not muting strings properly, muting too much, etc), but now my playing is a lot cleaner.

Other problems: legato and tapping. I'm a rhythm player though so I don't need them much. I just never took the time to practice them properly.
Last edited by Poglia at Sep 30, 2011,