I’m taking a Theories of Popular Culture class this semester and we’ve been discussing Lacan, Freud, Althusser, and several other psychoanalytical theorists. I’m almost certain that this song was written after Frusciante either read, studied, or otherwise investigated Lacanian psychoanalytical theory. With that in mind, I’d like to offer a different reading of the song. At first glance, this appears to be a struggle with substance abuse, and the reoccurring memories and shamefulness that corresponds with it. However, when put into a psychoanalytical context, this text springs to life in an entirely different way and perhaps demonstrates even more so, the genius of John Frusciante.

“The Real” a category established by Jacques Lacan, can only be understood in connection with the categories of the symbolic and the imaginary. Defined as what escapes the symbolic or representation, “The Real” can be neither spoken no written. Thus it is related to the impossible, defined as “that which never ceases to write itself.” And because it cannot be reduced to meaning, “The Real” does not end itself any more readily to univocal imaginary representation than it does to symbolization. “The Real” situates the symbolic and the imaginary in their respective positions.

This song seems to struggle with this notion that, according to these theorists, we can never truly be ourselves. The discrepancy between “The Real” and “Human Reality” (what we perceive) can never be assuaged. I believe that John’s lyrics reflect that sentiment. There are also other allusions to the Mirror Stage theory by Lacan as well. In fact, the entire album (appropriately named “Curtains&rdquo appears to be Frusciante’s attempt to tackle this business of Lacanian theory and the fact that Human existence is bound by restraints that keep us trapped within the confines of our own existence.

Throughout the entire album there are references to disassociation, not knowing who you are, not being who you are, losing who you are, as well as thoughts of blending, bending, and warping reality and time in a vain effort to bridge this gap. The whole alum has a sense of irreparable sorrow, which one may arrive at after fully realizing the notions of some of Lacan’s theory. Laced with his beautifully crafted music and vocal tracks, that audibly “re-present” the agony of his words, I think it may be safe to say that there is definitely more to this album that perhaps many of us previously though.

Now, I’ll break down several of my favorite moments in the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FjXvr22W-0

I don't know the real from what I thought I saw. (the idea that “The Real” is a separate experience from our reality)
I can't remember where I went, where I was. (contrary the idea that this is related to substance abuse, I think Frusciante refers here to again this gap between the perceived world and our own existence)
I'm gunna move towards a point in time (literally breaching the realm of time, because time itself is an invention by those who abide by its rules)
Where you are is a state of mind (this idea that human reality is created to an extent that your position is life is directly related and bound to your own vision of yourself)

And any time I can read your thoughts
Some of them yours and some I thought up
(his idea that thoughts communicate seamlessly through space/time, yet still knowing that by partaking in this activity he fabricates part of (the whole of) reality)
There's no good reason for heartbreak
Nothing's repeating every Monday
It's no good saying you'll always be mine
(if all of life is but a blissful, meaningless existence)
These jokes life's playing they make me so tired (accepting the fact that life is one giant mirage of uncertainty)

It's already too much to always see you off (love the beautiful harmonies of these next few lines but there meanings elude me)
The sense that hours go back is enough
I like to fade when I write this line
There's every reason to paint decline

And every mile I walk is five (might as well be five because in reality he is going nowhere)
I'll get where I'm going in the next life (could express hope that there actually is something waiting on the other side)

And all the while there's a false face (I like to think this is a reference to the mirror stage where one first acknowledges his own image in the mirror but knows that that image is both him and not him at the same time, a false face. It is this fake image that the person then attempts to live up to and complete throughout their life)
This every killing is left untraced
This kind of falling saved my son
This constant longing's for what's gone
(whats gone or he never had to begin with)

Anyway, that's all. This probably won't appeal to many people but I thought it was interesting enough to share, and I'm bored at work. Cheers.
My Gear:
-Fender American 1962 Stratocaster Reissue
-1984 Marshall JCM 800 2204
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Last edited by GuitarGuy2387 at Sep 28, 2011,
It was probably just about heroin.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Those lyrics are absolutely terrible! Don't read too much into it, unless you aren't being serious about the song, and just need something to write for your essay.

To go with that, you haven't proof read your essay since it's full of mistakes, and you need to look up and learn about the comma-splice, as that is your biggest pitfall in this essay.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Sep 28, 2011,
I dunno, I think there may be more to them than first glance..
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
I dunno, I think there may be more to them than first glance..

That's only because you like the song. I've never heard this one before so I'm looking at the lyrics from an unbiased view, and to me they're a bit bland and they don't say much.

But that's just opinion, and I have a very bad taste in music so I'm not going to criticise: just instead say that you really oughtn't read TOO much into lyrics like these.

Also sage

sage
sage
sage
sage
sage
sage

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by SmarterChild
Have you considered the fact that anything written by Lacan is a load of bollocks?

+fucking one

Lacan literally made shit up, then filled hundreds of pages with tautologies about the shit he had just made up. His theories are simply a modernization of Freud, who hasn't been taken seriously as a practical psychoanalyst since the early 20th century. There's a reason that any competent psychoanalyst will laugh you out of the room if you think Lacan has any practical value.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
Lacan literally made shit up, then filled hundreds of pages with tautologies about the shit he had just made up. His theories are simply a modernization of Freud, who hasn't been taken seriously as a practical psychoanalyst since the early 20th century. There's a reason that any competent psychoanalyst will laugh you out of the room if you think Lacan has any practical value.

BOOM, Lacan just got taken doown
Quote by Das_Skittles
+fucking one

I wrote a Psychoanalysis paper at university about Freud's and Lacan's work. Whatever elitist ideas you have in your own bizarre mind, you can't escape that their work is the most influential and most pertinent in this area, so you can't just discount their work...

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
I wrote a Psychoanalysis paper at university about Freud's and Lacan's work. Whatever elitist ideas you have in your own bizarre mind, you can't escape that their work is the most influential and most pertinent in this area, so you can't just discount their work...

BL

I can and I will
Quote by dann_blood
It was probably just about heroin.

Amen.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by BlackLuster

BL

Pro-tip: Psychoanalysis is bullshit. There's a reason that philosophy students read Lacan and Freud more often than psychology students. The theories are interesting, but they have no value outside of being intellectually stimulating. I can certainly discount their work, since it's almost completely bullshit.

You writing a paper for uni=/=useful information. I wrote a 20 page research paper comparing Foucault and Lacan last semester. Whoopdy fucking doo. I can also write a paper for uni describing the merits of putting toilet paper on the seat in public restrooms. That doesn't make it any less full of shit.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Pro-tip: Psychoanalysis is bullshit. There's a reason that philosophy students read Lacan and Freud more often than psychology students. The theories are interesting, but they have no value outside of being intellectually stimulating. I can certainly discount their work, since it's almost completely bullshit.

You writing a paper for uni=/=useful information. I wrote a 20 page research paper comparing Foucault and Lacan last semester. Whoopdy fucking doo. I can also write a paper for uni describing the merits of putting toilet paper on the seat in public restrooms. That doesn't make it any less full of shit.

Couldn't have put it better myself. English professors also cream themselves over Lacan because it sounds good when you base a paper on him. Also, no-one can make any sense of it so no-one can prove you wrong using things such as facts, which in any case are the tool of a patriachal scientific elite to silence the rebellious voice of literature.
the only connection between frusciante and Lacan is that they where both stoned a fuck when they wrote what they wrote.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Das_Skittles

I don't do philosophy: never have. Their theories are very interesting and intellectually stimulating, and they have uses in my work.

What qualifies bullshit? Tell me, because you've repeated it now without any description.
By writing the paper I was showing that I'm not someone who has never studied them, that's all: I'm not making myself out to be some amazing philosopher like Plato.

Whether you like them or not, you have to give them credit for what they did and the implications their work has had and still has, and will STILL have for years and years and years. It would be like saying: "The Beatles were fucking shit and all their music was shit and nothing good came from them and everything they wrote was bullshit, and their music has no merit and has no basis for music these days."

And if you don't understand... well we all have hope for you.

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

And all the while there's a false face (I like to think this is a reference to the mirror stage where one first acknowledges his own image in the mirror but knows that that image is both him and not him at the same time, a false face. It is this fake image that the person then attempts to live up to and complete throughout their life)

I liked that. I don't know why but I liked that.
Quote by BlackLuster
I don't do philosophy: never have. Their theories are very interesting and intellectually stimulating, and they have uses in my work.

What qualifies bullshit? Tell me, because you've repeated it now without any description.
By writing the paper I was showing that I'm not someone who has never studied them, that's all: I'm not making myself out to be some amazing philosopher like Plato.

Whether you like them or not, you have to give them credit for what they did and the implications their work has had and still has, and will STILL have for years and years and years. It would be like saying: "The Beatles were fucking shit and all their music was shit and nothing good came from them and everything they wrote was bullshit, and their music has no merit and has no basis for music these days."

And if you don't understand... well we all have hope for you.

BL

My studies focus almost exclusively on history; I've never found much use for Lacan's theories beyond "Well yeah, Lacan wrote things, and they were interesting, and pretty important in postmodern thinking."

To be clear, calling Lacan's work bullshit means bullshit in the academic sense. He says a lot of things that mean nothing, and buried in that nothing is a little bit of very interesting substance. I don't think anyone who has ever read Lacan has failed to notice that much of what he says is either nonsense with no basis in reality, or is a tautology. I don't mean to single him out for this; many of his contemporaries pull the same thing.

It's funny you mention the Beatles, because I feel similarly about their music. It's very influential, but at the same time I find it trite and am disappointed that so many people take something so moronic seriously. This doesn't mean I don't recognize and respect that influence.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Like to see I got the discussion going, lol this is what this thread was meant to be. loved it.
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Way to ruin a great song with over analytical, psychobabble bullshit.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
Like to see I got the discussion going, lol this is what this thread was meant to be. loved it.

A couple of moody queens throwing a semi-tantrum?

The Pit is a great place to be.... sometimes

BL

Quote by Dreadnought
Way to ruin a great song with over analytical, psychobabble bullshit.

Wow, I didn't know you were still around. When did you hang up your Mod gloves?

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by BlackLuster
A couple of moody queens throwing a semi-tantrum?

The Pit is a great place to be.... sometimes

BL

Wow, I didn't know you were still around. When did you hang up your Mod gloves?

I'm not sure, probably about a couple of years ago?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Why are you signing off your posts when you have a signature..

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?

Think about it....

In all seriousness, there was an old Moderator who used to do exactly the same thing, and I was reading over some old messages and it just sort of went from there. Call it a homage.

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
^ Are you talking about courtney taylor? That guy was terrible
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Then I'll call you an attention seeking fag.

Go suck on a hockey puck.

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Althusser wasn't a psychoanalyst. He was a Marxist thinker who applied Lacan's ideas to Marxism.

Also, you're thinking way too hard about this.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 29, 2011,