My drummer had a Gibson Kalamazoo bass, serial number 101197. According to this, it's either from 1963 or 1967, and this Wikipedia article stating that they started making them in 1965, I'm guessing it has to be from '67.

Anyway, that's kind of irrelevant. It's in pretty rough shape- it's got a nice relic'ing job to say the least. The hardware is kind of rusty, and well... the main problem, the neck joint completely snapped off, and it's MDF. My drummer said I could have it, if I wanted to try to repair it.

So, I have the neck joint still, and used some heavy-duty vinyl caulk to reattach the neck joint to the body. I couldn't find my wood glue, and figured this would hold better anyways. I did that last night, and took the clamps off when I woke up this morning and it appears strong enough to hold the neck now. But, the caulk requires 3 days to fully cure, so I'm waiting for that.

The electronics appear to be fine, the pickup is responsive. Which is fortunate, because all the screws holding the pick guard in are either stripped or too rusted away to be removed...

Not sure how well it's going to turn out, it's pretty far gone, but if I can get it strung up I think it'll be a nice novelty to have around.

Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
That is not a Gibson, the headstock alone gives that away. And Gibson never used MDF in their guitars ever as far as I know.

Caulk will not work, get some titebond wood glue.

EDIT: I stand corrected, but caulk will not work reguardless.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 28, 2011,
It's held up pretty well so far. There was a little bit of play in the joint if you bent it the opposite way the strings would be pulling, on day two, but by the time the caulk fully cured on day three it was solid. I'm also going to be making a neckplate that extends a little more than the regular one, to give it some extra support just in case.

Right now I'm working on making a new tailpiece for it, made out of a 3u rack ear that I chopped up. It'll be something along the lines of a Fender-style bridge, but will mount like a wraparound rather than bolting directly on to the wood.
Quote by Steve46

any play at all is a bad thing when dealing with a neck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know, but that was prior to it being fully dry. It's all set now, like I said.
Quote by Steve46