All the cables I've ever had have broken on me, specifically at the ends. I ended up duct taping the last one I bought the day I got it, but that didn't work either - it died today.

So I don't really know what to do, I don't want to keep buying the same cables only to have them break after a few months.

Does anyone know of any heavy-duty cables? Or maybe coiled cables are the way to go?

I don't want anything too expensive, I'm just a bedroom player. I just want a cable that'll last me a bit longer than regular cables.
i have no idea what you mean by the ends are breaking. regardless if you a bedroom player or not buy a planet waves, monster, or live wire. spend the extra money for something that has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. think about it, what easier, to keep buying cheep cables or buy one more cable for the rest of your life. monetarily it should be a no brainer
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I hadn't thought of the lifetime warranty thing, the problem is I'd like to have a cable that will last for ages, not one that I can send back when it breaks - I'd be left cable-less for days.

I've had more expensive cables in the past and noticed no difference in quality, and little difference in tone due to my cheap equipment.
Are you sure it's the ends? Are you allowing foot traffic on your cables?
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
If a cable has a lifetime warranty, you can go to the store that you bought it from, and they should give you a replacement. You could also just pick up 2 cables....
do you use cables with 2 straight ends? and play sitting down, because if your bending the cable at the ends (near the metal covers) then it will quickly break the copper wires in it due it bending everytime you sit down and play. I had the same problem i literally went through 3 cables in three weeks and i eventually noticed the ones that kept breaking were one with 2 straight ends, so i got one with a striaght end and a L shaped end. Plug the L shaped end into your guitar and the other in the amp and you'll fine.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Good point WtrPlyr, thanks

Quote by zeek7pc
Are you sure it's the ends? Are you allowing foot traffic on your cables?

Completely sure, when they start to break I can get a few more days out of them by twiddling the jack parts a bit.

I try to take good care of my cables, I rarely fold/roll them, never twist them and never put anything on them.

Quote by OurRequiem
do you use cables with 2 straight ends? and play sitting down, because if your bending the cable at the ends (near the metal covers) then it will quickly break the copper wires in it due it bending everytime you sit down and play. I had the same problem i literally went through 3 cables in three weeks and i eventually noticed the ones that kept breaking were one with 2 straight ends, so i got one with a striaght end and a L shaped end. Plug the L shaped end into your guitar and the other in the amp and you'll fine.

I usually play a V sitting down, I use angled jacks so I don't bend them.
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Sep 28, 2011,
I really am baffled as to how you manage to break so many cables. My leads get thrown in and out of bags, soaked in beer on stage floors and generally abused every weekend when I'm gigging and I cannot remember the last time I had one break, it's been so long.
In fact, the leads I use (Peavey solderless) I don't think you can even buy them any more, it's been that long since I bought a lead haha. I think I payed around £25 for a 30ft lead back when I got them, I bought about half a dozen in one go and they all still work perfectly.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
I really am baffled as to how you manage to break so many cables. My leads get thrown in and out of bags, soaked in beer on stage floors and generally abused every weekend when I'm gigging and I cannot remember the last time I had one break, it's been so long.
In fact, the leads I use (Peavey solderless) I don't think you can even buy them any more, it's been that long since I bought a lead haha. I think I payed around £25 for a 30ft lead back when I got them, I bought about half a dozen in one go and they all still work perfectly.

Damn... I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong... could the conditions in which they are stored make any difference?
Monster cables are pretty tough, I try not to step on mine but they take quite the beating one way or another thus lasting longer.

The best part of monster cables for me is, that the second one breaks or I suspect it's about to break, I walk into my guitar shop and grab one off the wall In out within 5 minutes with a new cable for free. You don't have to wait for days on end unless they are waiting for shipments from monster to come in and are out of stock, the most the guys at my shop ask me is how it broke (which is more for quality control then anything else).

In the words of the guy who convinced me to go with monster "You can walk your dog with these things and let him chew it to hell, walk in and get a new cable guaranteed anywhere in the world.

FYI higher quality cables won't directly effect your tone, but you should hear less interference(noise/crosstalk) due to more shielding. The main reason to get them is life time warranty's and that they hold together in some pretty nasty situations.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Damn... I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong... could the conditions in which they are stored make any difference?

Well, how are you storing them? I'm forever getting told off by my drummer (who owns a recording studio) because I whip the leads around my arm to wind them up, but as I said I've had no issues with leads breaking even wrapping them 'incorrectly' in this manner.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
The only cable I've ever had not break at the end like that was a Monster. Even Live Wire and Mogami had that problem. I usually just open them up and fix the solder joint.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Well, how are you storing them? I'm forever getting told off by my drummer (who owns a recording studio) because I whip the leads around my arm to wind them up, but as I said I've had no issues with leads breaking even wrapping them 'incorrectly' in this manner.

They pretty much never leave the house, I don't roll them up or anything, I just leave them lying on the couch...
yeah im baffled too at how your breaking so many cables so fast, i thought for sure it would be cause you were bending straight jacks. Well im out of advice, maybe you just have shit luck lately and have been getting bunk cables. whatever the reason good luck.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w