Hello, I am new to the whole recording deal, and I would like to know what you need to start off. I am trying to keep a budget of under 300. So if you could please list the items I would need, and examples. i also would like to know if there is any free drum software that is good, and can produce sounds for metal like Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. Also what kind of software I would need.
Thank you.
There are 2 initial choices - software or multitracker.

With software, there are free options (primarily Reaper) and you'll need an interface to hook up to your PC. You'll also need a fairly high spec PC if you want to do more than just basic recordings. There is also drum programming software out there.

With multitrackers, you get everything the software can do in a single unit, purpose built for the job so you aren't relying on your PC for anything. Some even have drum machines built in so you wouldn't need separate equipment for this. You can get some extremely high spec kit on the used market for less than 300 if you're talking British Pounds, I don't know how this compares with currency & prices in other countries.

Multitrackers are the easiest option to get started with, but it's down to preference between them and software really. You'd have to look at both to see which suits you best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 28, 2011,
Do a search on ebay for multitrackers made by companies like Zoom, Tascam, Fostex, Boss & Korg. In the advanced search options you can select completed listings, so you'll be able to see how much they've been selling for and judge what sort of kit you can afford.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by slipknotfan168
any free drum software that is good, and can produce sounds for metal like Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

Not really, only option is to find some metal drum kit samples and put them into a free drum machine.

It'll sound pants though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by slipknotfan168
Hello, I am new to the whole recording deal, and I would like to know what you need to start off. I am trying to keep a budget of under 300. So if you could please list the items I would need, and examples. i also would like to know if there is any free drum software that is good, and can produce sounds for metal like Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. Also what kind of software I would need.
Thank you.
If you have a decent computer already, I would recommend getting a basic one or two input interface for about $100 or so. Hell, Tascam makes one for $70.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/648495-REG/Tascam_US_100_US_100_USB_2_0_Computer.html

This way, you will have enough money left over to buy a couple of different microphones to learn with -- a condenser and a large-diaphragm condenser, for instance.

As far as free drum software goes, I don't know of any. Sorry.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by ChemicalFire
Not really, only option is to find some metal drum kit samples and put them into a free drum machine.

It'll sound pants though.

You don't hear the software. You hear the samples and the quality of the programming.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by GaryBillington
With software, there are free options (primarily Reaper) .

Just to mention - REAPER isn't free. If you use it after the free trial runs out, you are just as much of a pirate as someone using a cracked Cubase.

If you want truly free, try LMMS or Ardour.
Quote by kyle62
Just to mention - REAPER isn't free. If you use it after the free trial runs out, you are just as much of a pirate as someone using a cracked Cubase.

If you want truly free, try LMMS or Ardour.

There's a difference. A cracked Cubase is stolen. Using Reaper for free is merely taking advantage of the company's stupidity. If they want to charge for it, limited the free period isn't complicated to develop. By allowing it to run on with no consequences, they're basically asking for donations but leaving it optional.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
There's a difference. A cracked Cubase is stolen. Using Reaper for free is merely taking advantage of the company's stupidity. If they want to charge for it, limited the free period isn't complicated to develop. By allowing it to run on with no consequences, they're basically asking for donations but leaving it optional.

If someone leaves their windows and doors wide open when they go on holiday, does that make it right to pop in and help yourself to their stuff?*

I completely understand your point, and I'm not saying everyone should run out and grab a copy of REAPER.

But we should definitely support any company that turns its back on the overbearing use of DRM. For gods' sake, users of Cubase have to have a special USB dongle physically plugged into their PC at all times!
What's funny is that the pirates easily cracked the dongle protection, meaning the paying customers suffer an extra layer of inconvenience while the pirated version is actually a superior product.

I'm certainly not anti-piracy, but I am pro-companies who don't f*ck over their paying customers.

* I understand this is not a 100% accurate anology, since when you steal software you don't physically remove anything from another person's ownership. You get the point though
Last edited by kyle62 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by Cavalcade
Hear hear. If you know you're going to get some use out of Reaper, not paying for it would be like listening to a busker play a full set (let's pretend he doesn't suck for this case), then just walking away.

Quote by kyle62

What's funny is that the pirates easily cracked the dongle protection, meaning the paying customers suffer an extra layer of inconvenience while the pirated version is actually a superior product.

In Oxygen's own words, I think it was when they cracked SX3, they said it took something like 1500 man hours to crack, and if future releases were similarly protected that they probably wouldn't even bother.

The pirated versions are not a superior product. I was around when the Cubase forums were chock full of people with pirated versions. As soon as it went to "registered users only" on the forum, the number of people complaining about bugs and stability issues, etc. decreased *dramatically.*

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by kyle62
If someone leaves their windows and doors wide open when they go on holiday, does that make it right to pop in and help yourself to their stuff?*

I completely understand your point, and I'm not saying everyone should run out and grab a copy of REAPER.

But we should definitely support any company that turns its back on the overbearing use of DRM. For gods' sake, users of Cubase have to have a special USB dongle physically plugged into their PC at all times!

I'm certainly not anti-piracy, but I am pro-companies who don't f*ck over their paying customers.

* I understand this is not a 100% accurate anology, since when you steal software you don't physically remove anything from another person's ownership. You get the point though

Yes, I get your point, and I don't actually disagree. But hopefully you get my point too. It's kind of like a shop giving stuff out for free to their customers & asking them to voluntarily come back & pay for it if they're happy without actually chasing them for the payment. If they leave it up to you to decide whether to pay or not, they're telling you it's OK to keep it for free.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Except they tell you it's not okay, with a nag screen. To use your analogy, it'd be like a shop giving you something and asking you to pay for it eventually, and the product having a speaker inside that says "Have you paid for me yet?" every once in a while until you do.
I agree that if you're not going to get much use out of Reaper (ie maybe recording a few quick-and-dirty demos before upgrading to a mixer or something), you shouldn't have to pay as much for it as someone who'll use it every day (ie a producer), but that's what the trial period is for. For example, I bought FL Studio ($150!) because I thought I'd be using it for a while, and well over a year later, I'm using it more than ever.