The pictures suck and the amp itself isn't quite as exciting as a Fryette or a Soldano, but I actually like her just as much, if not more, than my old Hot Rod Avenger 50 that I sold a month or so ago. Here is why:

It sounds huge. That's pretty it. It's also more versatile... but really it just sounds huge. The Depth knob that Dan Gower added to the circuit is an indispensable control. It not only brings back the low-end that is often lost from such a low powered power section, but it also brings in additional low-mids to help attain body and cut through at the same time.

The three-position tone switch on the back also helps control specific frequencies within the midrange, while the treble is tuned to be more subtle in the 'up' position (vintage 1), eliminating any unwanted 'hiss' or harsh frequencies that the Matamp 2x12 with Vintage 30's produces. The other two selections, Vintage 2 and Modern, are tighter, more aggressive and more distorted.

This, along with the Saturation switch on the front panel, similar to the one Dave Friedman offers for the 20H, allows for a massive array of high gain tones. It doesn't improve the clean tones in any way - Dan's redesign of the preamp stage helps in that area - but it offers both modern high gain, capable of copping any of the more djentlemanly styles of music around now, and vintage high gain tones, something I am personally playing these days.

The low gain tones are sweet, bold and percussive. The medium gain tones are balanced and bright. And the high gain tones are spiky, nasally and aggressive. That may sound bad but it's really not. It's an almost exact description of my old Soldano, which is a testament to Dan's work.

Speaking of Dan, Mr. Gower is an amp technician based in the greater London area. He helped design the 'Cali Mod' with Mike Fortin of Fortin Amplification, a very high-spec boutique company from Canada that charge exorbitant prices for what is widely known as the best modded Marshall tone around today.

Dan works from his Facebook page at the moment. If you want to get in contact with him, use that. His website is under construction at the moment, although it does have his email address if you want to email him. His work is quite diverse and isn't segregated to Marshall amplifiers. He had never worked on a Jet City before I contacted him, but he was very pleased with the outcome, so he'd be more than happy to do the same thing to your Jet City amps, or any amp for that matter.

The modification cost around £350, which isn't what you'd expect - it's a lot of money. But I honestly think it's worth it. The noise of the original (unmodified) 20H is mostly gone but still isn't quite as quiet as my Fryette or Soldano. That is, of course, to be expected. Although Dan completely rewired the preamp, and along with the custom features I specifically requested, it still is ever so slightly noisy. Honestly, though, you won't mind at all. I don't.

Go look him up. He's really nice to deal with, quick to respond, intelligent and does good work. Now, here are the lame pictures. We all know what a Jet City looks like, but still.

I also bought two new pedals, a Catalinbread WIIO V2 from a user here (thanks again, Claude) and a Univox Unidrive clone from the only pedal builder in Ireland, Jimmy Behan. Another nice guy who can and will build you almost any vintage pedal design. My one has the original NOS transistors from when the pedal was still in production. It's just a massive, burly boost pedal. It emphasises the low-mids and has a great low-end structure.

It's the light gold pedal with no decals or graphics:

The Catalinbread WIIO is awesome. It's a Hiwatt in a box and offers a wonderful Stoner Rock tone. It also happens to be an awesome boost pedal to push an already highly distorted tone into massive Doom territory. There are enough people out there to offer more detailed thoughts on it. All you need to know is that I really like it.

Here is my current pedalboard:
Looks great.

HNAD
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
hnad
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
nice to see ya back Dan, HNAD!
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I missed you.

Awesome stuff Fish

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
cool beans!
You certainly have a very interesting looking pedal board there.

HNAD
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
big knob?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
big knob?

no. absent mod.

where the **** have you been?

j/k

congrats on the modified jet city! very cool.

the modifications you've had done make it strikingly similar to a certain peters amp i hold dear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
no i mean big knob might be the company which made the dls clone he was talking about
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks sweet.
<coolstorybro>I recently just a got a stock jet city 20 watt combo for 199 off ebay recently myself</coolstorybro>
Quote by Dave_Mc
no i mean big knob might be the company which made the dls clone he was talking about

obscure vague post was obscure and vague david.

carry on with epic cool mod'd mod got a new amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ahahaha yeah, sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by greeny23
where the **** have you been?!

gutsgutsgutsguts

I could take gutshots tomorrow. I tried taking her apart when it arrived and I couldn't access to one of the screws. I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just haven't found it yet.

I've been busy recently. Thanks for asking, though!

Quote by WtrPlyr
Nice one Dan!

HNAD but you know I care more about the pedals. Jimmy's stuff is great isn't it?

hehe Yeah, I knew you'd be all over dat shit! Jimmy does do some solid work. He's holding up the fort for 7 million hommies.

Thanks everyone!
Quote by korinaflyingv
Awesome, hnad! So jealous of that WIIO. Just need to wait for someone to clone it... My housemate bought a Catalinbread DLS clone for £42 off ebay and it's ****ing phenomenal.

it has already been reversed. My WIIO was the one used to reverse the circuit, and I now use a dual channel WIIO

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

hnad! please post clips! i havent heard any since they started doing these mods
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I really liked the Hot Rod 50 so this is an interesting story. The JCA20 I played seemd kinda thin so it sounds like this mod fixes a lot of that. Did you buy this used as is, it looks familiar?

HNAD and good to see you again
Quote by korinaflyingv
indeed!

awesome. how much did that cost you?

no clue. it was with forsaknazrael from this forum. we barter a bunch of trades and such for his awesome builds so its hard to tell what I actually paid for it.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by korinaflyingv
indeed!

thanks Good to know they're good, I've been keeping an eye on those pedals for a while. Unfortunately, the prices have been going up, and I only noticed them more recently. Some of the older prices i saw them going for were crazy. Like £25 in some instances.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I really liked the Hot Rod 50 so this is an interesting story. The JCA20 I played seemd kinda thin so it sounds like this mod fixes a lot of that. Did you buy this used as is, it looks familiar?

HNAD and good to see you again
Thanks, mate. Good to see you too!

No, I bought this brand-new. Dan Gower has never worked on a Jet City before. This one was the first. I bought the stock 20H from eBay. A retailer in the UK was selling off unwanted stock at half the price. Min kept telling everyone about it a few months back.

It definitely fixes the "thinness" of the original. Though I suspect my Matamp cabinet also helps with that, as well as potentially something within the preamp, other than the Depth knob, that adds dimension and depth.

Quote by Linqua5150
hnad! please post clips! i havent heard any since they started doing these mods
I can't unfortunately, sorry. I don't have anything to record with.

I've wanted a recording set-up for years now, but buying recording stuff is nowhere near as fun as buying a guitar, pedal or amplifier, so I've not been diligent enough to pick up even a basic recording set-up.

I'll try and do so soon, though, if I can, and I'll update the OP.

Quote by lbj273
it has already been reversed. My WIIO was the one used to reverse the circuit, and I now use a dual channel WIIO

That's actually a badass idea, now that I think about it. I don't know how many times I've had to change the settings on the pedal so that I could use it firstly as a high gain boost with decreased bass and increased treble, and secondly as a standalone low-medium gain overdrive with on opposite frequency response (bass high/treble low).
Well the way we have it set up Dan it only changes between the two sets of volume/gain controls. In order to switch the tone controls too you would need to use relays, two separate circuits, or a stomp switch that probably doesn't exist or if it does is ridiculously expensive
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020