Alright I had my nj series warlock for a while now and was thinking of upgrading the pickups. However i hear there's no point if it's made of cheap material. So I was wondering if any of you had any advice to figuring this out, I tried google but it says it's made of basswood mahogany and some chesswood crap.

It was made in 1992
Even if the wood is bad, changing pickups will change the noises it makes.
If it's neck through, it's solid wood. That particular model is now made with nato, but I don't know what it was made with in 92. Nato is pretty much indistinguishable from mahogany, but it's a little cheaper.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
It'll be NATO, the common import version of mahogany. Not a great wood by any stretch but servicable. If you play high-gain styles then it's good enough. Just don't put any super-responsive handmade pickups in it or anything intended for jazz or country playing.
Its bolt on.
And I doubt its plywood.

The bottom has some chips on it (last owner must have set it down too hard) which shows the wood being a bit tanish color.

Quote by grohl1987
It'll be NATO, the common import version of mahogany. Not a great wood by any stretch but servicable. If you play high-gain styles then it's good enough. Just don't put any super-responsive handmade pickups in it or anything intended for jazz or country playing.

I'll look into NJ series warlock and NATO, you're most likely right though. Also I was just thinking of putting seymour duncans, or EMGs in. I just didn't want to waste the pickup on something that it wouldn't really be good with.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Sep 28, 2011,
EMGs will sound alright. I assume you'd be using them for hard rock or metal. It's not true what some people say about EMGs sounding the same in every guitar but when you play with both powerful pickups AND high gain then things do start to sound similar and the wood your guitar is made of matters less. If you go for passives then Seymour Duncans won't be a waste on the guitar, just make sure you pick out a set of pickups that suits what you need. Pickups like the SD Seth Lover and Jazz and Pearly Gates or Phat Cats would sound really bad with cheap wood, whether it's NATO or poplar or sawdust held together with spit. Things like JBs, Customs, Alternative 8s, that sort of passive will sound okay with almost anything.

You're not going to turn that guitar into a pro axe any time soon but a pickup change would help and they wouldn't be wasted on that guitar.
I might get blackouts for the neck and 85s for the bridge, although I'm debating with myself whether to reverse that or not.