I'm about to buy a usb soundcard for audio recording. Now the question is : I have to buy a DI BOX as well to plug my electric guitar into the soundcard ? I heard that the ''line in'' of a soundcard it's not meant to work directly with a guitar due to impedance issues or something like that.
So do you think is it recommendable to buy a DI BOX even if the soundcard has got the ''hi-z'' feature ?
You can use the line-in but it will sound pretty bad. Get the Line 6 Toneport or something. I have it and it makes some killer sounds if you spend time getting some good tones out of it.

Here is a video i recorded a while back using it. It cost me £50 when i bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKAsCb_rjlE
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
If it's designed for recording, then it'll be fine, you don't need a DI box. DI boxes are mainly used with PA's anyways. I use my stock sound cards line in for recording, it's alright, it's starting to make a little noise, but it still works perfectly fine.
If it has the "Hi-Z" feature, you will not need a DI.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Yeah like others have said, if it has hi-z you won't have to buy a DI box, it won't make a huge difference anyway. When you start getting into the 400$ price range and beyond you might want to look into a DI box to squeeze that last drop of clarity out of your guitar (and wallet). But for cheaper interfaces don't bother, it's probably going to cost you more than the actual interface, anything < 100$ generally sucks.
You wont need it if you are getting an audio interface. I think you can use a DI box to reamp though so it might be useful if you plan on doing that.

This thread.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by maggot9779
You wont need it if you are getting an audio interface. I think you can use a DI box to reamp though so it might be useful if you plan on doing that.

No, don't do this, ever. Get a real reamp box if you're actually going to bother with reamping.
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by Ascendant
No, don't do this, ever. Get a real reamp box if you're actually going to bother with reamping.

So long as it's a passive DI box, I dispute the 'ever' part of that statement - it's perfectly fine to use a passive DI box in reverse as a re-amp box. The problems mainly arise when you want high gain stuff, or very dynamic playing, as it tends to lose the finer nuances of the clean DI.

That being said, yeah a re-amp box is the proper way to go and will get the best results in a studio situation.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.