so i keep running into the F barre chord in songs so i said, well i guess its time to buck up and learn it. Does anyone have any tips on how to make it a little easier as far as holding the your index finger down. when i go to lay it down it makes my finger stretching so much harder and i keep bending the joint and cant lay it flat.'
Please help i know practice is the best but it just is not working.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
try to keep it straight all the way down to the knuckle. use the outside part of your index to squeeze. also, try different lengths of your finger to barre with. i prefer the bottom of my finger on the high e and b strings, so the tip of my finger is over the top of the neck. maybe try doing the barre chord on a higher fret where the frets are closer together first, so its not such a big stretch..

Keep tryin'! don't give up!
Practice is always the answer.

It took me ages to get barre chords right. From what I've seen on other threads, pretty much everyone goes through this.

Be patient & persistent, it will happen eventually.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Bar chords are the first "hard" thing guitarists have to learn. It will take a while to play them properly, but then they will be easy. Just practice and make sure you are not using extremely thick strings.
one big problem for me is, when im barred and i go to stretch for the chord my index finger bends up and it wont go down
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
drop your wrist down more so its beneath the neck. that'll help keep your index finger straight.
you dont really have to keep your barre straight, though it will help with the harder chords like dom7 and min7 if you can, but dont waste energy trying to barre strings that are being fretted by you other fingers. For an F concentrate on strings 1,2 1nd 6.