Hello all! as I mentioned before, I stripped my old Hondo strat copy to give it a natural finish, I think it's looking o.k. for a first attempt, apart from a deep black stain on the top horn which gets darker with each application of french polish. I was thinking maybe I could cut the top horn off, making the body sort of tele-ish, anyone done this before? would be cool to see some pics if poss before I get the saw out
i was hoping for so much more out of that title

it probably has been done before by someone, most things have
That was one of the ideas I had for my samick copy. I just set the body on a big piece of paper and traced it then cut the horn off, so try that first, mine looked funny like that so I turned it into a jazzmaster type one instead
@ RockRoots42 Thanks mate I''ll make a template out of mdf first, if that looks shit i'll just have to put up with the black horn . on a serious note it looks kinda aged,worn, so it's all good
this whole conversation is a giant innuendo

but seriously, either repaint it or put up with it
I knocked the horns off an old Ibanez AX and replaced them with hollow metal triangle things once.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
it doesnt look as good as it appears in your mind. click on my build 1 in my sig, the green burst one. it was a strat body i cut the horns down a bit and reshaped the whole thing, they end up pretty small, not quite the look i wanted
The name escapes me, but I remember reading about someone back in the day cutting off the bottom horn of a Tele, I believe in an attempt to make it look more like a Vox; needless to say, it looked like shit.

Unless you either a.) really don't give a shit what it looks like, or b.) really do some serious planning, it's probably not going to come out how you want it to.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by xadioriderx
it doesnt look as good as it appears toin your mind. click on my build 1 in my sig, the green burst one. it was a strat body i cut the horns down a bit and reshaped the whole thing, they end up pretty small, not quite the look i wanted

Dude I love that build one of yours. I may have to do that to my red special tribute strat! It'll look quite nice! Do you have a template of sorts?
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by xadioriderx
it doesnt look as good as it appears in your mind. click on my build 1 in my sig, the green burst one. it was a strat body i cut the horns down a bit and reshaped the whole thing, they end up pretty small, not quite the look i wanted

Looks pretty good to me.
The plan for the guitar I'm gonna build cuts off the bottom horn to match a tele deluxe bottom horn on the pickguard.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to leave it as it is, as I add more of the finish it's looking quite cool, sort of old, aged and worn but shiney
Attachments:
IMAG0135 (377 x 500).jpg
Hey Adio! that's exactly what I was wanting but after seeing your pic I noticed the waist on mine is way higher up and doesn't leave enough body to achieve that look, thanks again and let me know if you ever get that done
I had a similar issue, so here's what I did.

But judging from that picture, I'm not sure if you could get away with cutting that much off without it looking awkward. You should just leave it as it is, it looks cool
Thanks guys! I'm going to leave it as is, a few more polishing sessions, new nut (white), white pearl pickguard, pups and controls are white, rosewood fretboard. whole refurb costing under £50, will post a pic when I'm done
Quote by JetPackBlues
I had a similar issue, so here's what I did.

(Invalid img)

That's pretty groovy. Gives of a really retro sort of surf rock vibe. I like it.
Thank's for the kind words, can of pre-mixed french polish and a lot of advice from the G B&C paint/finishing thread, I didn't know what I was going to find under the factory paint, but bingo! no plywood, I have no idea what type of wood it is,but the grain is cool, anyone got any clues? Big plus on this for an old Hondo is the neck, it's a beauty