Hey!

So I've got an old guitar from the 90's and the volume pot makes some nasty noise when I turn it. So I'm just wondering, whats the fix? I know I can just replace it, but alternatives?

My guitar teacher told me there was this kind of a metal or electronic conditioner spray that you just spray on it and voilá. Kind of like CRC but it must NOT have any greace in it. I just can't remember the name for it. Any experiences/knowledge of this?

Also, how much would simply a new pot cost?

So what to do?
Depending on the pot, it should be more then a few bucks. And yes cleaning the pots also works most of the time.
Quote by Ghold125
Depending on the pot, it should be more then a few bucks. And yes cleaning the pots also works most of the time.

Cleaning how?
Get a can of DeOxIt and spray it into the back of the pot. Unsealed pots will usually have a little axle on the back where you can see the center shaft rotating, which is a good place to force cleaner into. The sides are often open as well, which will let you get the little straw in there to give it a good blast. If you have sealed pots, you're out of luck, unless you feel like cracking them open to clean them.

If you really want to give it a complete reworking, you can do this:
http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/fixingscratchypots.html
Keep in mind that with the cheap pots that tend to come in guitars, disassembling and reassembling a pot is just as likely to break it as it is to clean it out.