Hello UG, I've been recently considering another delay pedal (I already have a Boss DD7 and SpaceEcho), and in my quest to get something similar to the Edge's sound (shimmering rhythmic analogue delay), a DMM seems to be the direction to go in (I know the Edge also uses a Korg rackmounted delay, but I'll settle for the DMM).

I was just wondering if there are any significant audible differences between the older Classics DMM and the newer DMM XO; I've noticed the XO has an added "Depth" pot. Price-wise, they're only about 75 cents apart, but I'm wondering if one has more hiss or sounds brighter than the other, or any other factors to consider...

XO: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Deluxe-Memory-Man-XO-Analog-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105479489-i1454363.gc

Classics: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Classics-Deluxe-Memory-Man-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-153306-i1759855.gc

Also, I like to mess around with component switching and mods; do both of these have normal-sized components inside? I bought a Nano small stone and was disappointed to find that the circuit uses really small resistors and caps on a double sided PCB, which makes modding really difficult.

THANK YOU
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Sep 28, 2011,
They don't make the older (classic) ones anymore and I doubt you can get one new. They are the same circuit. People say they sound different but meh, I couldn't hear more difference between a big box and an XO than between two big boxes.

Also, you DON'T want to mess with the components inside unless you really know what you're doing. DO NOT turn the trimpots when you get one. I know it's tempting, there are about 8 inside. Do not turn them.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Sep 28, 2011,
yeah I'm aware they don't make the older one, but EHX has a "Classics" version of the DMM which I think is just a reissue of the older DMM?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
I think EHX calls the DMM model based off the older DMM the "classics" series, like a reissue of the older one; the Guitar Center website still sells this Classics DMM (the link I posted) and I doubt it's the original, unless the GC site hasn't been updated recently (which happens all the time)...

Anyways, it's good to know that there isn't any real difference in sound; as for the modding, the only mods I've found online are for replacing the original ICs with TL072 (which is supposed to make it more quiet and organic) and to make the pedal true bypass, both of which I think are pretty straight forward and could be done on either the normal or "nano" style circuits, but I'd still prefer the normal circuit. I might swap out some of the input and output caps too if the pedal doesn't play nice with my amp and other pedals, but that would probably be it. Thanks for the heads up on the trimpots... the temptation to mod is soooo big; half the time I don't even use the mods... modding for the sake of modding haha
i heard somewhere that the supply of bucket brigade chips used in the classic DMM dried up and so they had to start using a different chip. That being said it may not make a huge difference.
ah thanks... ok so I did a little bit of research regarding the "mini" components I was talking about in the Nano pedals; it's call a surface-mounted circuit, and it seems to be used in most (if not all?) of EHX's Nano and XO pedals. Could anyone verify this for the DMM XO? If so, that alone would probably be enough to convince me to have to hunt for a used older DMM (plus it'd be nice to have the original chip even if there isn't an audible difference) =/
The DMM XO is primarily SMD. The only exceptions are the MN300X chips (Panasonic/Matsushita did stop making them but EHX has several hundred thousand) and a couple other parts. And not to be that guy but changing the input and output caps isn't going to do much to the DMM. It's not a Fuzz Face or Rangemaster. The only worthwhile mods are changing the JRC4558s to something that isn't a piece of crap (OP275, OPA2134 or OPA2604 are preferable though the TL072 isn't bad) and rebuilding the delay chip mini board to add two more (or one more, depending on the BBDs used in the pedal you have) for double delay time.

EDIT: BTW, you can do any of the mods you can do with full size components with SMD. It just takes a bit more skill and you need something for magnification.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 29, 2011,
eww tl072s.

matt mod me a stable one with opa627s or dexas.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by cheeekens
I think EHX calls the DMM model based off the older DMM the "classics" series, like a reissue of the older one; the Guitar Center website still sells this Classics DMM (the link I posted) and I doubt it's the original, unless the GC site hasn't been updated recently (which happens all the time)...

Yeah I call the classic the 'older' because they don't make them anymore. The XO is the only one in production right now.

Quote by cheeekens
Anyways, it's good to know that there isn't any real difference in sound; as for the modding, the only mods I've found online are for replacing the original ICs with TL072 (which is supposed to make it more quiet and organic) and to make the pedal true bypass, both of which I think are pretty straight forward and could be done on either the normal or "nano" style circuits, but I'd still prefer the normal circuit. I might swap out some of the input and output caps too if the pedal doesn't play nice with my amp and other pedals, but that would probably be it. Thanks for the heads up on the trimpots... the temptation to mod is soooo big; half the time I don't even use the mods... modding for the sake of modding haha

The XO is already true bypass.
ok cool I didn't know the XO was already true bypass (I've should've read the description more carefully); I had my heart set on the classic one (vintage mojo? it's all in my head but ya..), but I like the depth knob and the true bypass, and if it sounds the same, XO it is! Going shopping tomorrow (yay weekend!) Thanks everyone for the insight and advice