hey UG

my band needs some quick demos for a battle of the bands coming up soon, whats the fastest and best way to go about it? live recording? one mic facing away from everything? help help help.

we have one weekend to do the demos

thanks
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Depends what you have available.

I know that my band could knock some demos out real quick cos we all have some method of recording.
We also know a cheap studio.

If you want some real real real basic stuff, I've heard one mic room recordings sound alright if you can do the post-production well, but it's still not ideal.

I'd suggest, if you can, doing some live recordings with everything miced up, if you can that is.
Then mix it and stuff, if you need you can add some overdubs to make it sound a bit tighter. I've heard that go quite well.

I think generally what you'll need to do, is, no matter what you do, listen to it as critically as possible. If it sounds muffled and unbalanced don't think "Oh well it shows how we sound it's good enough", I've heard that before, and it never pans out.
See if any local studios can do some live recordings of your band. That would sound the best and you could most likely get it done in a weekend depending on their schedule.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
I think live recordings might be the smartest option. People will think a cheap, badly produced demo will sound crap, but are more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt with something that's obviously live and completely raw.

If you have a large, nice sounding practice space, you could buy a USB condenser mic ($50ish) and take a laptop to practice. Alternatively, find a decent demo studio in the area and pay to record one or two tracks properly. Depends on your budget and seriousness, really.
Quote by ultimate-rocker
See if any local studios can do some live recordings of your band. That would sound the best and you could most likely get it done in a weekend depending on their schedule.

As you need it for a demo to get into a BOTB, this is your only option.

Recording yourself is an art which requires a lot of practice, your first attempt won't be good enough to sell yourselves as a band.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud