Poll: How important is honesty to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: How important is honesty to you?
Very important
135 91%
Not important
14 9%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 2
Someone told me today that "everyone lies" and that her lies should carry no consequence because "everyone else does it". I now can clearly see what kind of person she really is because of this statement. However, I have heard similar words come from various people in my life. This is why I'm asking you what you think. By honesty, I am also referring to illegal pirating of copyrighted material.
You haven't watched House? WHAT THE HELL is wrong with you. Everyone lies.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Everyone lies. To say however that getting caught should have no consequences, is pretty stupid. Action leads to an equal and opposite reaction.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
so because everyone does it, it should be acceptable? replace lying with something else "everyone" did at any given point in history...like slavery for instance and you'll see that it's a terrible argument.

honesty is very important, i don't like it when people lie to me.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
... Duh, everyone lies. You just have to distinguish the difference between important and unimportant lies. I value honesty when it comes to important things, when it comes to unimportant stuff I can be forgiving.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by MakinLattes
What kind of person is she?

She is someone whom I used to be friends with. I always made excuses for her actions in the past, but now I am done with her.
kinda Newton's 3rd law, action = reaction...when everybody lies, everybody lies to everyone...anyway; if you remain honest towards your friends they will treat you with respect, otherwise they're no friends of you anyway (or you should re-evaluate your standards)...people should always lie, sometimes a lie is good for confidence and such, but you can't tell a friend, face to face, a lie about something important...my 2 cents
Quote by MiserySignals11
She is someone whom I used to be friends with. I always made excuses for her actions in the past, but now I am done with her.

First:

Then:
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Littles lies every now and then aren't the end all be all.

I don't lie often though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Littles lies every now and then aren't the end all be all.

I don't lie often though.

Well, how can we know that for sure?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I'm actually a very honest person. I tell people exactly what I think. Oddly, people don't like it.

Exactly. People don't often like what they get when they get what they ask for.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I haven't told a lie in 2 months and it's going well though i did manage to upset a few people. The trick is to withhold the little details or answer a question with a question.

We live in such a PC society where you can't say whats on your mind. I don't have time for two - faced twats.
I consider myself to be an honest person, I want nothing but the truth from others and live by that. I also know that without lies truth cannot exist. I'm not saying that I've never lied, because I know I have, some where necessary and some weren't. I do try to stay away from lies as much as possible, and I don't even consider it to be a last resort, but sometimes we make poor decisions. We're human, after all.
So to sum it up; I'm the average honest person.
Quote by burghUK
The trick is to withhold the little details or answer a question with a question.

ya, that's called witholding information. it's just as bad as lying, but it's making you feel better about not lying and them feel worse about not getting an answer and being basically manipulated. just lie or tell the truth, no tricks.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
ya, that's called witholding information. it's just as bad as lying, but it's making you feel better about not lying and them feel worse about not getting an answer and being basically manipulated. just lie or tell the truth, no tricks.

nah...

lets say an ugly woman who asked if she was attractive...you would say "in my opinion i don't find you attractive"
you wouldn't say "quite frankly no , where do i start , you are fat , have a huge nose , stink of shit and i gag at the thought of you naked".

You are telling the truth but your just not going overboard.
Integrity and honesty are very important to me. As a supervisor, if you lie to me, I won't soon forget it and it will affect your job. As a parent, it's equally important. Lie to me and it affects how I deal with you in the future.
What's wrong with pirating a little artwork which should be free in the first place? I try to be as honest as possible without trying to deceive the other party, which is usually often enough.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Integrity and honesty are very important to me. As a supervisor, if you lie to me, I won't soon forget it and it will affect your job. As a parent, it's equally important. Lie to me and it affects how I deal with you in the future.

This.

I think that, in some circumstances, lying may be the right choice. Maybe even just the most comfortable choice--but humans seek comfort, not always what's in the right. I agree that having integrity about the situation will allow you to make the correct choice.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by burghUK
nah...

lets say an ugly woman who asked if she was attractive...you would say "in my opinion i don't find you attractive"
you wouldn't say "quite frankly no , where do i start , you are fat , have a huge nose , stink of shit and i gag at the thought of you naked".

You are telling the truth but your just not going overboard.

if i asked you 'how're you doing', and you said 'well, i'm not happy' except you're actually suicidally depressed, you're giving me the impression that you're just not happy instead of telling the truth and telling me you're suicidal. it doesn't matter about the literary form of language and the the way the question's asked, you know exactly what the question's inferring, and what you imply is entirely up to you. sugar coating the truth is telling the truth, but it's not being truthful. there's a difference.

questions aren't computer simulations, they all ask a certain thing and expect a certain thing. when somebody says 'are you okay', 'yes' or 'no' would be technically truthful, but humans aren't robots, so the truthful answer would be 'no, i'm actually _____' or 'yes, i've been extremely ____'.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
If someone lies to me about big things, it severely damages my relationship with them. If they lie about little things, I will most likely just lose a little respect for them. I hate being lied to bar extremely unimportant ones. I consider it the ultimate disrespect

Quote by C3g6m4
What's wrong with pirating a little artwork which should be free in the first place?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Honestly?

Honesty is one of the most important things to me in the world. If someone lies to me, I automatically avoid talking to them, because in my mind, if they tell one lie, everything they say is a lie.
In fact, my facebook status yesterday was about honesty: "Honesty is so hard to come by in people these days." And it's true.

I think with technology today, Facebook being a great example, it's gotten a lot easier to lie and deceive. Facebook has so many devices to privatize parts of your life that were previously in the open. It's allowing people to lie easier, and because it's human nature to do what you want and completely disregard other people, people lie more often.

That's just my cynical view and opinion of people today.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I don't lie very often, but I withhold information on a regular basis. People have no right to know anything about me, so if I don't want to tell them, I don't.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by SGstriker
Honestly?

Honesty is one of the most important things to me in the world. If someone lies to me, I automatically avoid talking to them, because in my mind, if they tell one lie, everything they say is a lie.
In fact, my facebook status yesterday was about honesty: "Honesty is so hard to come by in people these days." And it's true.

I think with technology today, Facebook being a great example, it's gotten a lot easier to lie and deceive. Facebook has so many devices to privatize parts of your life that were previously in the open. It's allowing people to lie easier, and because it's human nature to do what you want and completely disregard other people, people lie more often.

That's just my cynical view and opinion of people today.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who still values honesty.

Quote by The_Sophist
I don't lie very often, but I withhold information on a regular basis. People have no right to know anything about me, so if I don't want to tell them, I don't.

I disagree with you there. I automatically treat everyone as a friend unless they give me a good reason not to.
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Sep 28, 2011,
Does it matter what I answer? You'll never know for sure.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Everybody tells little white lies on a regular basis but honesty is very important.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Sep 28, 2011,
Everything I say is a lie.

/mindfuck
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Everyone lies a bit about trivial stuff and often their emotions (or we often wear a mask, but that's only hurting ourselves really). I think people should try to be genuine people and not go around bullshitting to everyone, because they'll often end up hurting people in the process, that's fairly obvious.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Everyone lies a bit about trivial stuff and often their emotions (or we often wear a mask, but that's only hurting ourselves really). I think people should try to be genuine people and not go around bullshitting to everyone, because they'll often end up hurting people in the process, that's fairly obvious.

I understand bullshit when it's used for trivialities, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere between what is bullshit and what is just plain unacceptable. The lies that this girl told me were very big ones. Practically everything she had ever told me was a lie. When I tried to speak to her about it, she tried acting all tough and made it seem like lying is just a casual part of life and that I'm weak for getting my feelings hurt about it.
Quote by the bartender
Everything I say is a lie.

/mindfuck

I already did the circular logic but nobody paid any attention
Quote by MiserySignals11
I automatically treat everyone as a friend unless they give me a good reason not to.

Good luck with that.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I don't like when people lie, I try not to do it. Likewise I hate when you tell someone a secret and they go and tell other people, even if it's just one person. If one of my friends says/does something that I know they don't want other people to know, I don't say anything.
sunbather is shit
There is a difference between not being honest and lying.

Lying to me is willingly and therefore with a purpose not telling the truth or withholding information for one's own benefit.
Not being honest is more subtle.
If I talk to a person who I find very unattractive, do I have to tell her?
If my wife asks if she looks good when we go out, do I have to say 'nah, not so good as on that specific occasion'?
If my daughter is singing and asks what I think of it, do I have to say she never will be a good singer or even more direct and just say 'you suck'?

Everybody lies to a certain point and especially when one wants to spare the feelings of others.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Page 1 of 2