this?

I understand, it's a terrible picture; it's just something I did quick in paint. The black square is the bass drum, the red is the snare, the blue are the toms, and the big yellow circle is a cymbal, the smaller one being the hi-hats.

Basically, what I mean is that the toms are more just off to your right side, leaving the left/center (relative to the bass drum, so like, the left half of the bass drum) open for any cymbals that you want to have lower, and in front of you.

I've seen a couple drummers play like this, including an amazing drummer for a band I opened for, and it just seems interesting to me.

Has anyone ever tried a kit like this? If so, how was it?

Edit: The toms aren't supposed to go from lowest to highest; the sizes were random. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.
Last edited by herby190 at Oct 1, 2011,
jep, mine is set up like it! plays pretty good and creates a lot of room to your left for even an aditional tom... only thing that could be getting your ride in the best position
Drum drum drum away!
Never tried it but can't imagine I'd like it. The ride would be hard to get to for my type of playing. Not saying that it wouldn't be a good setup for some people but it wouldn't be good for me.
Not taking any online orders.
Interesting concept, although toms ascending in pitch as they go down is a bit pointless imo. Both my rides are already really close to me as it is so I don't see the need for this, although it does look cool.

The coolest "alternative" setup like this I've seen has the hi-hat in the center, directly in front of the player (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmKKa_LWY)
Quote by beverboy
jep, mine is set up like it! plays pretty good and creates a lot of room to your left for even an aditional tom... only thing that could be getting your ride in the best position
Pics? I'd kinda like to see how different people make it work.

Quote by Steve08
Interesting concept, although toms ascending in pitch as they go down is a bit pointless imo.
That wasn't intentional; like I said, it was just a quick sketch in paint.
Yeah, that's how I like mine. I've got a ride dangling above the two upper toms as well. I don't know if you meant to make it look like the lower toms are mounted on the bass though. Mine are arranged in the "typical" manner.

Quote by Steve08
The coolest "alternative" setup like this I've seen has the hi-hat in the center, directly in front of the player (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmKKa_LWY)

I used to play like this. I still like it, its a fine way to play.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Yeah, that's how I like mine. I've got a ride dangling above the two upper toms as well. I don't know if you meant to make it look like the lower toms are mounted on the bass though. Mine are arranged in the "typical" manner.
The tom sizes were just random; like I said, it was a quick sketch.

Also, like I asked someone earlier, any pictures? I'd like to see how different people make this type of set-up work.

I had my Ludwig set up like this for a while last year, and tried out a few new setups just for kicks. I later changed it to the normal two rack and two floor tom setup. But still, it was cool. x)
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Last edited by isaacmiranda7 at Oct 1, 2011,
My school drums has a similar setup! Although I use practice pads at home, my school's drum set has a similar setup!
Quote by isaacmiranda7

I had my Ludwig set up like this for a while last year, and tried out a few new setups just for kicks. I later changed it to the normal two rack and two floor tom setup. But still, it was cool. x)
You must have really long arms to be able to play that...
It was a bit of a stretch. But y'know, as long as it doesn't take you a three minute walk to hit something, it still is alright for your drums.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.