is there anything that will help me at all im getting quite frustrated frankly. i get the fingering right, my index finger bends, i get the index finger down good, cant reach the finger positions.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
quit strumming completely dedicate a half hour every day to working on the following:

make the chord and squeeze it tight. tighter then it needs to be.

release the chord but hover your fingers in positions over where they need to be.

repeat.

it builds muscle memory.

after you do about 15 mins of this ^ do the same thing but remove hand completely then remake chord.

see how many times u can do this in a min. set goals, remember your record.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by Cloudkicker
is there anything that will help me at all im getting quite frustrated frankly. i get the fingering right, my index finger bends, i get the index finger down good, cant reach the finger positions.

Try lowering your thumb behind the neck. Line it up with the 1st finger, and lower it to a point where you can stretch enough to play the chord.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Cloudkicker

Try putting the other fingers on first, then the barre last. Start higher up the neck where the frets are smaller. Also, you may want to take a step back and get used to how partial barre chords feel. F and Fm.

-
and

-
You could play that "baseball grip" style, but for the sake of getting used to barre chords, play it with the thumb behind the neck. Experience these shapes up and down the neck, it'll get you used to shifting positions whilst maintaing the finger positions.

The Fm chord will be a better exercise as the index finger is responsible for barre-ing more strings.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 29, 2011,