I’m at Grade 2 Music Theory and all is well; although I would like to speed up my learning the notes on the neck. I am using a method that is OK & I will get there, but I am after software or an app that hears what I am playing in real time, and tells me whether or not I have hit the correct note.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
go to http://www.musictheory.net/

exercises tab. then fret board identification. make sure u go into options and check the option that unlocks the whole fret board so its not just the first 6.

set personal goals based on time and accuracy.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
I have come across plenty of those. this is entering on a keyboard which note it is. I'm after something that hears what I play on the guitar and tells if if it's correct or not.
Quote by Zanon
6th fret A string ?

Don't cheat

D#/Eb

Doesn't really help, funny though.
Quote by Sean0913
It's called a chromatic tuner.

Best,

Sean

I well aware of what a chromatic tuner is and what it does. Althoughh it's not what I'm after - can see where you are going with it though.

I might take this questions to another forum elsewhere. Maybe there isn't anything out there that does what I'm after.

Thanks anyway.
Why not just listen yourself? Stick a Snark tuner on your headstock to check that you are right?
You shouldn't need gadgets to tell you whether you've hit the right note or not. Just listen. Internalize the sound of a note, then find the same note all over the fretboard. Do it in context as well so you can hear how it relates to a chord.
Quote by NorthernPaul
Why not just listen yourself? Stick a Snark tuner on your headstock to check that you are right?

yep i do listen myself, i have a method that is slowly working. was just curious to know if there is anything out there that gives real time feedback - other than my guitar teacher. only problem with tuners for this type of thing is if the intonation is out just a little bit you get a false reading on the tuner.
Quote by mdc
You shouldn't need gadgets to tell you whether you've hit the right note or not. Just listen. Internalize the sound of a note, then find the same note all over the fretboard. Do it in context as well so you can hear how it relates to a chord.

it's not about needing gadgets, just more efficient ways of learning. people shouldn't 'need' to go to a website to learn a song, but hey ultimate-guitar looks to be a popular.
I use a software called FretPro. It features an interactive game which helps you learn the notes. It also has a scale and chord display to boot!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Quote by peppercorn
it's not about needing gadgets, just more efficient ways of learning. people shouldn't 'need' to go to a website to learn a song, but hey ultimate-guitar looks to be a popular.

Just go and buy one of those guitars where the fretboard lights up with the notes of a scale. This thread is a fucking joke. People are getting lazier and lazier these days.
Quote by mdc
Just go and buy one of those guitars where the fretboard lights up with the notes of a scale. This thread is a fucking joke. People are getting lazier and lazier these days.

Doesn't the new XBox Guitar for Guitar Hero do what this guy needs?
sorry op i dont know what you want. if u are trying to learn notes by ear then just close your eyes and play a random note on the piano then look what it is. lol i dont know what you are asking for.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by mdc

what are you talking about? I'm lazy? all I asked about was about a piece of software that may or may not be available. i still practice 3 hours per day, study harmony etc...

people & comments like you remind me why I stay away from any sort of forum. never know whether you'll get a rational response or some 16 year old kid.
Quote by furiousrichie
Doesn't the new XBox Guitar for Guitar Hero do what this guy needs?

wouldn't be much help as i have never used guitar hero & i don't own an x box. always left gaming for the people who are scared of the outdoors.
Quote by peppercorn
what are you talking about? I'm lazy? all I asked about was about a piece of software that may or may not be available. i still practice 3 hours per day, study harmony etc...

people & comments like you remind me why I stay away from any sort of forum. never know whether you'll get a rational response or some 16 year old kid.

Rational? Delve deeper in to MT and GT and you'll discover my posts are just that. Here's your third rational response in addition to post 9 and 13 (http://www.fretlight.com/concept/).

Do you include reading studies in your practice? You'll sure as hell know the correct notes that way.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Rational? Delve deeper in to MT and GT and you'll discover my posts are just that. Here's your third rational response in addition to post 9 and 13 (http://www.fretlight.com/concept/).

Do you include reading studies in your practice? You'll sure as hell know the correct notes that way.

learn to cut & paste, moron.
learn to cut & paste, moron.

Learn to read the thread. I mean, it's your thread.
Quote by JL_Shredder
I use a software called FretPro. It features an interactive game which helps you learn the notes. It also has a scale and chord display to boot!
Quote by mdc
Learn to read the thread. I mean, it's your thread.

yes pal, i read it, had a look at the site and it's not what i was after. pretty sure i mentioned that somewhere.

any chance you can go waste someone else's time?
Quote by peppercorn
yes pal, i read it, had a look at the site and it's not what i was after. pretty sure i mentioned that somewhere.

any chance you can go waste someone else's time?

If I'm wasting your time then I apologize unreservedly for that. That's the last thing I intend do on these forums, as we're all in the same boat as musicians and that never ending journey of mastering said instrument. You never finish studying music.

As you've discovered, I'm someone who can swallow their pride fairly easily and apologize, no big deal.

If you can't find anything out there, then the best tips I can give you is to focus on ear training and reading. They're of equal importance.

Good luck.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by mdc
If I'm wasting your time then I apologize unreservedly for that. That's the last thing I intend do on these forums, as we're all in the same boat as musicians and that never ending journey of mastering said instrument. You never finish studying music.

As you've discovered, I'm someone who can swallow their pride fairly easily and apologize, no big deal.

If you can't find anything out there, then the best tips I can give you is to focus on ear training and reading. They're of equal importance.

Good luck.

i had the same conversation with my teacher tonight & he is all about reading & ear training too. that is a skill i will work hard to develop over time. in the mean time though i wanted to speed up my movement over the fretboard.

anyway, i too apologise and am about to go spend the next couple of hours hitting some scales.

thanks for you input.

paul
Quote by peppercorn

Yeah besides from calling you lazy they can´t even bother to read and understand your message:

Im also using Fretboard Trainer Pro and wished it could give you feedback when you are doing the play the given note on your instrument.. but so far i guess the only way would be a synthaxe or having some programming skills to tell my guitar rig tuner to transform the cycles in bytes.. have not found such a programm yet.. but i bet there is something somewhere.. if you happen to find it please ignore the douches and post it here
Quote by Slashiepie
Yeah besides from calling you lazy they can´t even bother to read and understand your message:

Im also using Fretboard Trainer Pro and wished it could give you feedback when you are doing the play the given note on your instrument.. but so far i guess the only way would be a synthaxe or having some programming skills to tell my guitar rig tuner to transform the cycles in bytes.. have not found such a programm yet.. but i bet there is something somewhere.. if you happen to find it please ignore the douches and post it here

Thanks man, glad we're on the same page. I'll keep trawling apps and the web to see if anyone has something out there. Sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising young developer.

In the meantime it's back to the routine...
Quote by peppercorn
I’m at Grade 2 Music Theory and all is well; although I would like to speed up my learning the notes on the neck. I am using a method that is OK & I will get there, but I am after software or an app that hears what I am playing in real time, and tells me whether or not I have hit the correct note.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

To truly know the fretboard in a way that is useful to a musician takes time.

These "apps" will actually help you:

- sight reading music in various positions
- studying theory and applying it to your instrument

I won't suggest software for this, because it's your mind you should be working on, and the best way to do that is to actually use it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 3, 2011,
Ok here's an exercise I found very useful.

There is one (sometimes two) of each note on each string up to the twelfth fret.

The objective is to find where all the E's are on each string.
Play the E's on the guitar until it is second nature and memorized.

The E's are:
6th string: Open (and twelfth)
5th string: 7th fret
4th string: 2nd fret
3rd string: 9th fret
2nd string: 5th fret
1st string: Open (and twelfth)

The next day you find all the F's, the next day all the G's the day after that all the A's etc. Then learn all the sharp/flat notes after you've learned all the natural notes. Just take 10-15 minutes each day doing this.
Then in total it will take you 12 days to learn all the notes on the neck.
Last edited by dogmax at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by dogmax
Ok here's an exercise I found very useful.

There is one (sometimes two) of each note on each string up to the twelfth fret.

The objective is to find where all the E's are on each string.
Play the E's on the guitar until it is second nature and memorized.

The E's are:
6th string: Open (and twelfth)
5th string: 7th fret
4th string: 2nd fret
3rd string: 9th fret
2nd string: 5th fret
1st string: Open (and twelfth)

The next day you find all the F's, the next day all the G's the day after that all the A's etc. Then learn all the sharp/flat notes after you've learned all the natural notes. Just take 10-15 minutes each day doing this.
Then in total it will take you 12 days to learn all the notes on the neck.

Thanks for unknowingly backing me up.
Quote by mdc
Quote by peppercorn
Thanks man, glad we're on the same page. I'll keep trawling apps and the web to see if anyone has something out there. Sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising young developer.

In the meantime it's back to the routine...

Np man, I was also thinking that some young programmer could surely make some money if he offers a quality programm.

I recently bought Synthesia to tackle the sightreading problem, altough im aware it will only teach me to sightread on the piano and it might not necesarily translate to guitar, i hope that when i can instantly differentiate all the notes on the treble cleff, it might make the process smoother.

An alternative i dont like but that could work is, getting a midi guitar and using it as a controller for synthesia (dont know if it would work right away) and you have to burn money for something you might never use again :P or maybe you will:

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/-/art-PCM0010036-000?campaign=GBase

Good luck
I would suggest to learn how to play by slowing down music at your convenience. There are slow down music software out there for FREE or purchase one that has quality sound output once it is slowed down to 50%. Just enjoy playing and time will come you will feel music more while playing.