I've never changed strings on an acoustic before and I was wondering what kind of acoustic strings are good. Can somebody help me out?
d'addario phosphor bronze lights are probably one of the most used strings around. seagull guitars come with them as do blueridge, and i really like 'em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
d'addario phosphor bronze lights are probably one of the most used strings around. seagull guitars come with them as do blueridge, and i really like 'em.
Add Ibanez to that list. Although, Ibanez supplies the EXP coated phosphor bronze light set. ( D'Addario Part #: EXP16)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 28, 2011,
If you don't know what gauge to get, take the guitar with you. Most any music shop should have a micrometer handy to measure the string diameter.
If you don't want to have to bother changing them often, consider some Elixer Nanowebs. They are lightly coated so they last a lot longer. Personally, I really like their sound, too.
Quote by patticake

Those are great, I use the medium guage though, just remember if you're gonna change the gauge the guitar will most likely need to be setup again
Quote by patticake

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people who use these and absolutely love them. My brother uses the Elixir nanowebs and I used the d'addario lights for as long as I had my acoustic, but damn these elixirs have great tone. I have a couple d'addarios as back ups though.

I'd go with the d'addarios since the elixirs tend to feel slick.
I had D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights on some time ago. Probably one of the best strings I ever used but they didn't last me long. At the moment I've got EXP 80/20 bronze strings. They're really nice and also quite bright. If you want a really bright tone then try out 85/15 "Hybrid" Strings.

Another word of advice, If I remember correctly, certain Elixer (and some D'Addario) strings have a HEXAGONAL core instead of round. Sometimes this can change the sound of your play completely (good or bad depends on you).
Try play with as many different types and brands of strings as you can, this will give an idea of want kind of sound you're looking for and want kind of strings suit you.
i tend to agree with halt and hobo. i use them both. i love the sound of the elixirs but the slick feeling takes some getting used to. i keep going back to the d'addario phosphor bronze.
try Ernie Ball strings I have them on my acoustic and they sound pretty good, they told me they are good but since I'm a beginner I pretty much believe on everything :P
Current Guitar:
- Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic Guitar
- Fender Squire Strat Electric Guitar
Quote by Khriz134
try Ernie Ball strings I have them on my acoustic and they sound pretty good, they told me they are good but since I'm a beginner I pretty much believe on everything :P

I highly disagree. I have a set of Ernie Ball woodwinds, and they are terrible. they lost significant tone within the first week, and felt terrible after about a week and a half.

Don't get me wrong, their electric slinkys are rad. Their woodwind/acoustics are complete shit.

go with d'addario EXP16s or Elixirs.
Quote by Halt
I highly disagree. I have a set of Ernie Ball woodwinds, and they are terrible. they lost significant tone within the first week, and felt terrible after about a week and a half.

Don't get me wrong, their electric slinkys are rad. Their woodwind/acoustics are complete shit.

go with d'addario EXP16s or Elixirs.
I have an Ibanez cutaway I bought used for $140. Unplugged its garbage, but fine for my 11 year old daughter who's just starting and very into it. However when I plug it into my Fender Blues delux 40w tube amp that tin canny sounding Ibanez turns into a bassy beast, I bring it to jams all the time. Its more the amp then anything but its sounds awesome.

Any way I wanted to get a better unplugged sound so I tried out the new Ernie Ball Slinky Titanium strings (12s). At $10 from GC it was worth a shot and I was really impressed with the brightness.

I'm going to give them a shot on some of my other guitars... They make them all guages and I love the Slinky's already for electric. Definatly impressed
he of tranquil mind
I had elixirs for my first strings and I haven't had any that were as good since, they lasted me forever and had good tone for lone time I really liked them they are a lil more expensive but they are worth it so you might want to try them
I also suggest D'Addario EXP string as mentioned before, they may be a little more expensive but the sound they produce is above the quality of other brands.

Quote by fishmike
I have an Ibanez cutaway I bought used for $140. Unplugged its garbage, but fine for my 11 year old daughter who's just starting and very into it. However when I plug it into my Fender Blues delux 40w tube amp that tin canny sounding Ibanez turns into a bassy beast, I bring it to jams all the time. Its more the amp then anything but its sounds awesome.

Any way I wanted to get a better unplugged sound so I tried out the new Ernie Ball Slinky Titanium strings (12s). At $10 from GC it was worth a shot and I was really impressed with the brightness.

I'm going to give them a shot on some of my other guitars... They make them all guages and I love the Slinky's already for electric. Definatly impressed

I started on electric, it's how i learned my first few chords, but then my interest changed to acoustic so I traded my electric straight up for an acoustic, I now play every single day. But when I had my Cort X-2 Electric, I rocked out on Ernieball Super Slinkys.

Their acoustic strings are just garbage though, I was very very disappointed. I'm now using Elixirs and nothing else for my acoustics. (I'd probably try Elixirs on electric if given the chance too :P, I think they have electric strings.)
As I've noted before, if you ask a dozen guitarists for their favorite strings you'll likely get a dozen different answers.
Fortunately, they are cheap enough to experiment with...

Remember, that although "Super deluxe hex-wound 80/20 brass/copper/titanium strings" may sound impressive, the things are awfully similar. The cores are all made of industrial music wire and are pretty much the same across all the brands.
The windings may have alloys that sound radically different, but in reality may only amount to a few percentage points more of one metal or another.
"brass" and "bronze" are so close together in most alloys that even metallurgists argue over which is which.
If you play a lot, you should be changing strings every 6 weeks or so anyway, feel free to try different brands.