hey guys I am building a guitar. The problem is that I have not got a clue what pickups I should use everything I have listened to sound kinda bland. I play jazz so I want a really warm even sounding neck pickup. As far as the bridge I play metal so I want something that is thick, warm with nice mids, and if possible decent treble. (I don't want a overly bright metallic sounding pickup). Also does anyone know a wood or combination of woods that wood be really versatile. Also in a solid body guitar does the wood matter when plugged in. Also does any know about scale lengths.

Thanks for any help you give.
What do you need to know about scale lengths? It all depends on your fretboard. The distance from the start of the fretboard (the end of the nut) to the 12th fret gives you half of the scale length. The bridge needs to be placed this length away from the nut. For example, a Les Paul has a 24.75" scale, so the bridge is 24 3/4" away from the nut on the high e string.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Well what I am wanting to know is how the scale length sound compared to one another I just don't know wether I want 25 25 1/2 or 24.75
The sound shouldn't be different. It all depends on the style of guitar you want.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by adam L(guitar)
hey guys I am building a guitar. The problem is that I have not got a clue what pickups I should use everything I have listened to sound kinda bland. I play jazz so I want a really warm even sounding neck pickup. As far as the bridge I play metal so I want something that is thick, warm with nice mids, and if possible decent treble. (I don't want a overly bright metallic sounding pickup). Also does anyone know a wood or combination of woods that wood be really versatile. Also in a solid body guitar does the wood matter when plugged in. Also does any know about scale lengths.

Thanks for any help you give.

For pickups the "warmest" sounding pickups iv ever heard are usually P90s. But for metal id recommed EMGs. Also if you were to go with EMGs i believe that the you could put a EMG 60 in the neck for your warmer cleans and then like a 85 for the bridge. That being said they do make active P90s as well but i dont have any expierience with them so couldnt say one way or another how they sound. As for warm sounding/versitile wood for the body i prefer mahonany. Its sounds a little less twangy and more open/deep to me. As for wether on not the wood matters when plugged in id say yes but im sure everybody has there own opinion. If its really distorted when ur playing metal i cant imagine you'll hear much differences in wood but you definetly will when you'r playing blues/clean parts. For scale it just depends on what feels better to you/is easy to play.
How big are your hands and fingers? A short scale length is good for those srange jazz chords, but long fingers might feel better with a longer scale length.
Also, what neck profile and fretboard radius fits your hand and grip best? Fat frets or not? A Gibson's ES-135's chunky neck with a flat fretboard and fat frets has a different feel than say a ES-175's jazz scale length, flat frets on an arched fretboard, and thinner neck profile, Fender necks feel different too.
There's more than one question about the neck that needs to be answered before you build or buy parts.
Good luck
thanks you guitbuilder and broken flyer. Yea see I know most of this stuff but I have guitars with stuff in them that I love and stuff I hate I am just try to make a guitar that I can gig with and have everything I need (or close enough that I do not care ) I am just wanting opinions. as for if I can build one yes I can. i have done it before I am building it with parts from warmoth. I am just wanting ideas so that I know that I have everything covered I don't want to build something and six months down the road find something I like better. the main question I guess is should I go with mahogany, alder, or ash. And for the fretboard should I go rosewood, ebony, or maple. I know that I like my paul reed smith se singlecut with seymour duncan jb and jazz pickups, But I love the feel of my strat.

Also I played a fender american standard ash and maple tele today which sounded perfect other then it was too thin which makes me wonder if maybe I should go with ash and maple with humbuckers. but it makes me wonder if that would be to bright and tinny. where as also mahogany and rosewood is kinda to warm. I just wonder if it is impossible to get nice defined lows with glassy highs.

thanks everyone
Last edited by adam L(guitar) at Sep 30, 2011,