This time I decided to to Ernie Ball Extra Slinky strings (their lightest strings) on my neck-through Fender Showmaster but after restringing it, the strings buzz when I play them open. I'm thinking it must be the lack of tension on the neck. I adjusted the truss rod of my recently-purchased Ovation in a similar manner and it was fine. Should I loosen the truss rod? And if so, how far?

I'm kind of tempted to just switch back to Super Slinky (their light strings) but I'd rather try these ones.
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
Wow...nobody?
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
the thinner the string the lesser the tension, thus a greater potential of fret buzz.

i know it can be hard to get used to guitar as far as fretting notes/barre chords, but lighter strings isnt always the best answer.

i also happen to have a showmaster with 11's or 12's on it.

sorry if i falsely thought you were new to playing guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 28, 2011,
What's the best answer? I've been playing for 7 years, and very consistently for 2, and I still have problems with barre chords near the top of the fretboard. My fingers are kind of small. Many acoustic guitars I can hardly play at all, since the action tends to be higher. I guess I'll go back to light strings. I just wanted to try these to see if it made enough of a difference in playability to make up for the loss in tone. Oh well.
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
Celebrity Ovation
I use Ultra lights starting at 0.008" and have done for over 30 years.Just adjust the truss rod a bit until happy.

There's plenty of info on setting up truss-rods.

http://******.com/pmtca

HTH

PS
Personal preference but I've never liked Ernie Ball strings.I use Rotos or D'Addarios.
Last edited by Sheppola at Oct 1, 2011,
I tried heavy bottom, light top strings, and this time the back of the bridge was pulled forward out of its slot. It must have been putting a lot of strain on it, so I loosened the strings a bit. Would a truss rod adjustment help this as well?
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
Celebrity Ovation
Last edited by Exhumed91 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by Exhumed91
I tried heavy bottom, light top strings, and this time the back of the bridge was pulled forward out of its slot. It must have been putting a lot of strain on it, so I loosened the strings a bit. Would a truss rod adjustment help this as well?

i am not understanding that well.

Quote by Exhumed91
the bridge was pulled forward out of its slot. It must have been putting a lot of strain on it, so I loosened the strings a bit. Would a truss rod adjustment help this as well?

could you post a pic? do you mean the tremolo jumped the attachment points.

honestly and unfortionately unless you can post some really good pictures or a much better discription of what is going on, take it to a shop and get it done or at least ask.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/