Page 1 of 3
Hello,
I don't know how popular this thread will be, but lets give it a try...

Maybe this just goes to show how much of a "lifeless loser" I am, but I personally love watching documentaries. I find huge amounts of useful and interesting information from a lot of them, and since I love useful and interesting information, it is logical that I love documentaries. So, I thought I'd start a kind of "documentary thread" on UG. Anything that has to do with documentaries is fair game for posting, whether you want to suggest a documentary, review a document, or debate over an issue or opinion proposed by a documentary. So, if you share my love for documentaries, post!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get this thread started, I will now recommend the last two documentaries I saw, and thoroughly enjoyed:

1. The Yes Men Fix the World
Troublemaking duo Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, posing as their industrious alter-egos, expose the people profiting from Hurricane Katrina, the faces behind the environmental disaster in Bhopal, and other shocking events.

Saw this one a while ago; informative, and also had some comedic element to it. Also, The Yes Men actually released an extended version on The Pirate Bay (therefore, you're not really pirating it). I recommend it.

2. GasLand
It is happening all across America-rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called "fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower.

Saw this one just a couple days ago. If you're not the type to watch documentaries, because they are "boring", or whatever you "cool kids" call it, you should still watch it, solely for the fact to see people who have water that is so contaminated with gas, they can light it on fire straight out of the tap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I have a gut feeling that this thread will get trolled to hell, but let's give it a try anyways...

TL;DR DOCUMENTARIES: DISCUSS!

SUGGESTIONS BY OTHER PEOPLE:
The Most Hated Family in America
Indoctrinate U
"kinda" Bowling for Columbine
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
Journey to the Edge of the Universe
The Human Ape
It Might Get Loud
Restrepo
The Union
Gonzo
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Conan O'Brien: Can't Stop
Man on Wire
Air Guitar Nation
The Wild and Wonderful Whites
I Like Killing Flies
Bulletproof Salesman
Monster Camp
Confessions of a Superhero
Bigger. Stronger. Faster.
Super High Me
Dark Days
Armadillo
Under Our Skin
The Philosopher Kings
The 'F' Word
The Town That Was
Slasher
American Juggalo
The King of Kong
The Century of the Self
The Trap
The Power of Nightmares
Who Killed the Electric Car?
Religulous
Cropsey
The Horror of Unit 731
DMT - The Spirit Molecule
Inside Job
Murder on a Sunday Morning
Before The Music Dies
Heavy Metal in Baghdad
The Strangest Village In Britain
Up Syndrome
Harlan County, USA
Guns, Germs, and Steel
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High
If... Drugs Were Legal
The American Dream
Under Occupation: Toronto G20 Exposed
Waiting for Superman
Off the Grid
Secrets Of The Penis
Knuckle
Catfish
Cowboy's in India

NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT PENISES OR THE DOCUMENTARIES SURROUNDING THEM?
PowerOfGlove is our resident expert
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Last edited by CPDmusic at Sep 30, 2011,
Add Louis Theroux's The Most Hated Family in America to the OP.

And make a rule banning Michael Moore's fat ass.

Except for Bowling for Columbine. I kinda liked that one.
Last edited by blake1221 at Sep 28, 2011,
The Last two documentaries I watched were "Yes Men Fix the World," which was very good, if not a tad overboard at times, and "Indoctrinate U," which I really liked. "Indoctrinate U" is about how universities in the United States are pushing a leftist belief system on students and unfairly targeting right-of-centre thinkers.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by blake1221
Add Louis Theroux's The Most Hated Family in America to the OP.

Ah, yes, the WBC. I have nothing to say.

I haven't gotten around to seeing that one yet, just a few clips, but I'll put a suggestions list in the OP, and also thank you for reminding me of its existence.

Quote by genghisgandhi
I just saw one about Steve Bartman. It was great, as 30 for 30s usually are.

And I love Michael Moore. Come towards me.

I am content with Michael Moore. For some reason, I always remember him for The Sodomobile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4

About the adverse effects of Wal-mart on the economic conditions for small business owners, consumers, and workers alike. Definitely worth watching.
Quote by genghisgandhi
And I love Michael Moore. Come towards me.

Same, even though he's pretty gimmicky.
Quote by due 07

About the adverse effects of Wal-mart on the economic conditions for small business owners, consumers, and workers alike. Definitely worth watching.

Same, even though he's pretty gimmicky.

I think I might have seen that one in 9th grade (two years ago). Maybe... I know I watched some documentary on how much Wal-Mart sucks ass in 9th grade... If we're both thinking of the some film, then I agree, it is worth watching.

Quote by CPDmusic
I think I might have seen that one in 9th grade (two years ago). Maybe... I know I watched some documentary on how much Wal-Mart sucks ass in 9th grade... If we're both thinking of the some film, then I agree, it is worth watching.

Sounds like it.
Quote by due 07
Sounds like it.

My memory is a bit hazy, but the film I saw was basically about Wal-Mart's importing from China in order to keep their prices low, and for some reason, I remember them using the example of a microwave. I don't know why I remember that detail, but I do.

Restrepo is a good one. Really gives you a look into the lives of soldiers on the frontline in Afghanistan. It Might Get Loud is another solid one. For me, Jack White made it for me. He's pretty rad. The Union is a good one for stoners like me.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
some of all-time favorites:

Gonzo
Restrepo
Man on Wire
Air Guitar Nation
I Like Killing Flies
Bulletproof Salesman
Monster Camp

Everyone needs to watch Gonzo. Hunter Thompson was an amazing and weird son of a bitch.
Last edited by happytimeharry at Sep 28, 2011,
Super High Me

A comedian who smokes weed regularly stops completely for 30 days and takes physical and mental tests. Then he smokes constantly for 30 days and retakes the tests.

Really good documentary if you're interested in drugs at all. It's also streaming on Netflix.

Quote by genghisgandhi

I missed that one, was meaning to catch it (lol). I loved the 30 for 30 series as well.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by happytimeharry
some of all-time favorites:

Gonzo
Restrepo
Man on Wire
Air Guitar Nation
I Like Killing Flies
Bulletproof Salesman
Monster Camp

I got Air Guitar Nation from a clearance bin at Blockbuster. It was entertaining

Quote by CPDmusic
I got Air Guitar Nation from a clearance bin at Blockbuster. It was entertaining

C-Diddy for life.
Quote by genghisgandhi

This dude has the right idea. I remember seeing a cool one back in the day about homeless folk who live in the abandon subway systems of NYC and the whole soundtrack is DJ Shadow. If I remember correctly it was called Dark Days.
Quote by K Reyn
This dude has the right idea. I remember seeing a cool one back in the day about homeless folk who live in the abandon subway systems of NYC and the whole soundtrack is DJ Shadow. If I remember correctly it was called Dark Days.

Haven't heard of it until now, but Google search gave me this. Seems really interesting, I might see if I can find this one somewhere.

The Blair Witch Project.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
The Blair Witch Project.

While we're at it, let's put Paranormal Activity there too. The thing that pissed me off was that they tried to play the whole "actual footage" angle, while the DVD version had an alternate ending. Self-contradiction fail.

If you liked Restrepo, you should check out Armadillo.

Currently downloading Capitalism: A Love Story.
Quote by Gyroscope

Currently downloading Capitalism: A Love Story.

I quite liked it when i saw it.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
a wonderful site: http://www.snagfilms.com/
Some I would recommend:
-Under Our Skin is a great doc about Lyme Disease
-The Philosopher Kings- follows a handful of janitors at American universities around and gets their views on life.
-The 'F' Word- A talk show host gets kicked off the air for racking up too many fines, he goes into the streets of NY during the republican convention in 2004 getting the thoughts and feelings of everyday people.
-The Town That Was- a doc about Centralia, Pa that has a fire that has been burning under the ground since 1962.
-Slasher- I saw this on IFC once and haven't seen or heard about it since. Its about a third party car salesman who comes in and offers slasher sales to boost struggling dealerships sales. I believe it takes place in Memphis for the doc, and it shows the dark underbelly of car salesmen.
Quote by jiminizzle
i present the juggalo documentary....
http://vimeo.com/29589320

Ha, I just watched that last night and it was just ... sad.

Pregnant woman: I'm gonna raise ma baby right! In the family!
*is smoking and drinking while heavily preggers*

Quote by ironman1478
add
"The King of Kong"
its a really good competitive video game story/underdog story

I can sum that up in five words.

Billy Mitchell is a dick.
Man on Wire is probably the best documentary i've ever seen.

But King of Kong is absolutely the most entertaining and fun.

Everybody needs to see it, and the guy on the left is one of the biggest douchebags in movie history.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Man on Wire is probably the best documentary i've ever seen.

I wish I could have as much passion about something as that man did.
Quote by happytimeharry
I wish I could have as much passion about something as that man did.

The shit he had to do to get up there is amazing.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
The shit he had to do to get up there is amazing.

That, and I'm sure the massive size of his balls made for good counterweights.
I liked Who Killed the Electric Car?

But I haven't watched a lot documentaries, so I dunno.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by bradulator
Everybody needs to see it, and the guy on the left is one of the biggest douchebags in movie history.

+1
Religulous -Bill Maher

An Atheist/Agnostic piece portraying the flaws of modern organized religion. If you do not find it informative then at least you will get a couple of good laughs. E.g. cutting the grass around the giant space penis
Religulous was nothing but Maher being a complete asshole. It wasn't informative at all, it was just him preaching to the choir of atheists.
Cropsy
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by blake1221
Religulous was nothing but Maher being a complete asshole. It wasn't informative at all, it was just him preaching to the choir of atheists.

His adorable arrogance is half the experience anyway.
Man on Wire
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 3