Page 1 of 2
So i just saw x-plays top 7 most shocking moments in video game history and started thinking about not just shocking moments, but epic moments in video game history. so i made a list of both shocking and epic moments (turned out to be 8) and would be interested to hear back from the pit about all of the ones i missed lol cuz of course there are WAY too many to list.

EDIT: SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In no particular order:

Big Smoke, GTA: San Andreas - finding out that your best friend was responsible for the death of your mother and the distribution of drugs to your homies.

Jecht is Sin, Final Fantasy X - When Auron tells you the monster that embodies pain and suffering and has an entire religion that's soul purpose is to destroy it is your long lost father.

Atlas, Bioshock - "Would you kindly?" How can you say no to someone when they ask so politely? You literally can't when it's programmed into your brain that you HAVE to do whatever someone asks when they ask it with that phrase.

First Alien Encounter, Unreal - Cramped corridors, flickering lights, dead bodies, distant screams and glimpses of an alien life form... heart pounding fear on the first game to be created with the unreal engine.

Building Collapse, Uncharted 2 - As if having a gun fight isn't enough, the building starts to collapse... with you inside of it!!!

Monika VS Gaspard, Dark Cloud 2 - Finally Monika has a chance to avenge her father by murdering his murderer. An epic sword fight between two mortal enemies, cliche? perhaps... epic? definitely!

Knife Fight, Resident Evil 4 - Resident Evil 4 wasn't content with throwing hordes of parasitic infested foreigners, they wanna kill you during cut scenes! And your hands don't grip your controller harder than during the knife fight with Krauser. The short pause right after you press the displayed buttons feels like the longest second of your life as you contemplate whether you pressed them fast enough to live.

Precursor Reveal, Jak 3 - You finally get to come face to face with the precursors, the creators of the world you've come to know during the Jak and Daxter trilogy. And they're Ocelots? Didn't see that coming X.X

So there it is, thoughts?
Last edited by gunsnroses#1 at Sep 28, 2011,
Nice spoiler alert, also, gaming thread.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by genghisgandhi
Metroid Prime I/II/III - the whole ****ing thing.

Oh yeah man, totally agree!
Edit: ^I'll go ahead and second that. I honestly wasn't clear on everything until Malak explained it, and even then I was still a little unclear. Love Bioware.

Quote by UntilISleep
Oh yeah man, totally agree!

I know man, there were a bunch of doubts at first, but Nintendo transitioned Zelda to from sprites to polygons beautifully.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by zgr0826
Nice spoiler alert, also, gaming thread.

How would their NOT be spoilers in this thread?
haha the Resident Evil 4 thing made me Freak all the time, happens a couple of time during the game, you have to react fast during cinematic. Damn did that make me jump.

Or in the first 2 halos, encounters with the floods always freaked me. Especialy the dark infested place where you had to resort to flashlights.
surely in modern warfare how you shoot that bloke with a pistol in slow mo..

or when the nuclear bomb goes off.
Ill Take it all
Arrows and Guns.. Hundreds and more

Save you from one
The end of Portal 2. You know, the "did that seriously just happen?" moment.
Final Fantasy VII, Aeriths's death. Shocking in a bad way.
Not a well known game, but in The Darkness, I thought annihilating everybody in the mansion at the very end with all of your powers fully developed was incredibly badass.
And nothing feels more satisfying than using team work to beat a Left 4 Dead campaign on expert.

EDIT: Damn, beaten on Aerith.

Also, I'll add the first time in Resident Evil that a licker jumped in through a window and scared the living **** out of you.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by severed-metal
Gears 3.

Knew something was coming, didn't know what. I lost a brother that day. ಥ_ಥ

This.

Halo Reach, when all hell breaks loose and Noble team starts to die.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
This.

Halo Reach, when all hell breaks loose and Noble team starts to die.

Halo Reach when you're all alone and have to fight until you die

Just thought I'd throw this in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NAoNd4YyY

Giant Mass Effect spoilers. I know it's a given, but I love these games so much, I don't want to ruin them for anyone.

Mix this with the reveal about the Collectors in ME2, the above from KOTOR, and it's just more of why Bioware is one of the few developers I'm consistently interested in. Up to this point, the Protheans, and along with them whatever was in Shepard's visions of death and doom that killed them all, seemed to be important, but amongst the gigantic background universe they weaved, it could've just been more detail that was there to make the game breathe more, with no consequence on the story outside of Liara's backstory and characterization, and maybe a little stuff on sidequests, and I figured the visions of doom and death were some sort of vision of the future or something, especially since robots were killing everything.

Then, this. Saren's not the puppetmaster, he's just the fanciest puppet, the Protheans weren't killed by some freak accident, they were killed by something a hare's breath away from killing you and the rest of civilization. It turns out what you thought was some fancy Geth warship is actually space-cthulu, and is getting ready to summon an entire army of space cthulus to kill everything. What seemed like a steady fight against invasions and taking outposts scattered around the galaxy to keep them back until you could amass a force to fight back just turned into a frantic race to figure out how to stop Sovereign.

Yes, I do love Bioware, why do you ask?

Quote by Kevin19

That too. the piano is so fitting as well.

*Huge Mass Effect post*

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Cejis33
KOTOR... Revan

This. This was like such an amazing game, i and I never would have seen that coming.
Monitor in original Halo... also, when you first discover The Flood *shudder* annoying zombified bass tards In fact, a lot of Halo 1 - like finding out the real purpose of the planet etc.

Edit: Also Revan in Knights Of The Old Republic, goes without saying.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Monitor in original Halo... also, when you first discover The Flood *shudder* annoying zombified bass tards In fact, a lot of Halo 1 - like finding out the real purpose of the planet etc.

One of the reasons I love Halo and don't care for much of the other Halos
Quote by genghisgandhi
Kratos would make any one of the characters in whatever the hell that is look like a bitch harpy.

is being totally clueless required by New Jersey state law? sometimes it seems that way.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by FireHawk
One of the reasons I love Halo and don't care for much of the other Halos

it really did have the best storyline (and Assault On The Control Room is my favourite of all the Halo campaign missions/levels out of the first three games... I haven't played Reach or ODST though).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
inb4 Aeris.

/doesn'tplayFinalFantasy
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by Minkaro
"Yeah, Mass Effect 2, I just beat you. What now, bitch?"

*Reaper armada*

"OK "

Yeah, pretty much this. I want to finally finish off those god damned Reapers once and for all!!!

edit: GEARS 3 SPOILERS

When Dom died. I was crushed. It just made the scene that much worse when "Mad World" started to play. Shocking and depressing.
Last edited by happytimeharry at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi

God Of War type games are to games as The Ahnald's movies are to film.

They vary in quality, and the good ones are a blast for just kicking back and having fun with it. There's no denying that. Action, badassness, it's all there.

But it's not exactly what you'd call something with a strong artistic statement, and for the most part it relies heavily on glorification of excessive violence instead of the characters or the plot. It's about as deep and meaningful as a "u mad" macro.

Quote by Kevin19

The entire game of Halo Reach.

I was shocked at how different it was to the other Halos. But not in a good way.
Well, that list is incomplete. Where is Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII on that list? That was pretty shocking. I don't think anybody saw that coming.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by devourke
The entire game of Halo Reach.

I was shocked at how different it was to the other Halos. But not in a good way.

Oh, that actually reminds me.

They were fun, but when I played through it, as much as I know people are going to get mad for me saying this, I'd rent the core Halo games rather than buy if they weren't so cheap nowadays.

But I remember really liking what I heard about Reach - squad gameplay, you're not a supersoldier and actually have to think about cover, positioning, numbers, and all that, and much more plot-heavy, if I remember the reviews properly.

How was it, and what would it be comparable to other than its predecessors?

Red dead redemption. I did not see that coming

And halo reach. Was it just me or was the whole campaign depressing? I mean it was fantastic and I played through it three or four times. But you knew what was coming the whole time. When your fighting by yourself at the end. Wow. What an ending.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Kutless Rocker
Well, that list is incomplete. Where is Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII on that list? That was pretty shocking. I don't think anybody saw that coming.

Two people have mentioned it. And it's okay. You don't need to avoid spoilers on a 14 year old game.
Totally agree with the bioshock would you kindly thing, that was totally a no effing way moment.
I think in the black ops campaign when you find out the russian guy, forgot his name, aws all in your head and everything you thought he did with you was you the entire time, i was totally mind blown.
Quote by edgeyyz
It's like everyone's getting laid and I'm the only virgin...

Quote by Nunwhxre 666
I now dub thee, Fapking.

Bow down to the Fapking!

Shoop Group!
Postal 2 is pretty epic.

PS: Kratos shits over all other game characters.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
whatever the hell the russian guy's name was in Black Ops actually being a figment of your imagination for most of the game. I was like
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Page 1 of 2