So my friend let me fix her Squier Strat and was wondering if we could fix it up and make it sound good, would anyone know where to start? its an Indonesian Squier i personally don't like the pickups and the tone knobs seem to be of no use it sounds more like its a toggle switch in the way that the tone changes are so sudden its ridiculous, would it be worth it to fix any of that or would she just be better off getting a new guitar?

our band plays alternative rock if anyone would have suggestions for pickups

Thanks in advance for any advice
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
if she likes the way the guitar plays it's always worth upgrading, sounds like redoing the electrics would be a great help for starters.

What is a routing like for the pickups?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
if she likes the way the guitar plays it's always worth upgrading, sounds like redoing the electrics would be a great help for starters.

What is a routing like for the pickups?

I second this. It's not hard to gut and re-wire a strat - everything is on the pickguard. Get some good quality potentiometers (CTS or similar), output jack and 5-way switch (Switchcraft), and a set of pickups. I would say that at a minimum for a guitar upgrade.
You can help tone and sustain by upgrading the tuning machines, nut and bridge. That is going to cost a little bit more.
As far as pickups are concerned, I personally like the Texas Specials. I have those in my strat and i like the way they sound. The only way to be sure is to try them out for yourself (or herself). Head to guitar shop and try to find strats with different pickups installed.
If the quality of the wood, neck and frets are good, I say keep it and upgrade. There is a little more sense of accomplishment and personalization when upgrading rather than getting a new guitar. If the frets aren't even or the neck is twisted, then just go get a new guitar.
Go to Guitarfetish.com they have a good selection of pickups and electronics to do the upgrades with. Also if it is a tremilo bridge then I suggest getting a set of there locking tuners to help in tuning stability.

You could rewire, put new locking tuners on it and new pickups for @$125.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When you replace the tone knobs, make sure you get linear taper knobs. From your description, it sounds like there's audio taper knobs in right now, which is a bit unusual, but changing to linear taper should fix the issue.
For alt rock I'd see if the pickup rout will take HSH and put those in or at least HSS,

If the routing is compatible then you only need a new pickguard to go on
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
if it's an SSS i have always heard good things about the david gilmour EMGs loaded pickguard.
I would put one in if i had a strat style guitar to put it in. I've played them and they are nice.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!