Okay, so for many years I've been using Ernie Ball strings of different gauges for different tunings, and they sound great... for like, two days. After about 1 week, they already begin to sound dead and lifeless. Also, I .have two guitars with FR bridges, so changing strings every week is really annoying, so I need too look into a new brand.

Oh, and I already know what the first reply is going to be: "Try Di'addario, they keep their tone for months". Well, every time I've used Di'addario, I was dissatisfied from the second I put them on. Sure, they may last, but from my experiences, they really don't sound good, and they don't bend well or attack like Ernie Balls do. So they are off my list. Same goes for Elixers, they sounded like shit when I tried those, too (they were so bad I took them off immediately).

So what other string brands should I have a look at? I mean, it seems that all people give a shit about are either Di'addario or Ernie Ball, and there are like 40 or 50 string brands out there. I want some strings that sound great and have a decent lifespan, i.e. perfect balance. I'm not a broke n00b who needs a set of strings that last for 3 years.

Or to just make this whole thing easier: what strings does Charvel put on their newer models when they ship them out? Fender brand strings maybe?

Reason I ask is because I've had that guitar since June, and the stock strings surprisingly still sound fairly new (although they are harshly worn).
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Sep 28, 2011,
Ha, Ernie Ball/D'Addario/Elixir are the three brands I use! Never had a problem myself.

How about Rotosound?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Go with DR strings. I was an Ernie Ball guy for a long time and got turned onto the DRs when I got a new guitar and havent looked back since.
Lol, did the buy the elixirs that were in a purple package?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
i was an ernie ball guy forever too. i was always told to try D'Addario and finally decided to pick up one pack of each. the D'Addario's blow ernie ball out of the water tone wise and they last longer. just try em out and see how you like em. chances are you wont go back to ernie's.
you can try SIT strings. They last for quite awhile but they're kinda like the D'iaddario strings in the sense that they never sound as open as the Ernie Balls. I've heard good things about Dean Markley strings but I haven't tried them myself
Try DR. They are completely different than the brands you mentioned. Hand made, round core instead of hex core. Would be worth the experiment at least once.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
I'll give DR a look. I do like that they have a line of 10-56, perfect for drop B. I've never considered them because I always saw their ads with the neon-glowing strings and thought they were just a "looks" brand. But seeing that people like them I'll give them a shot.

Quote by Kyleisthename
Lol, did the buy the elixirs that were in a purple package?
Yes. Why, are those ones I'm supposed to stay away from?
Lol, they sounded like shit cause you bought ACOUSTIC strings ya big ol' dummy.

Electric guitar Elixirs come in a blue package
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Yeah man, purple package elixirs are their acoustic strings. You need to get the blue packets.

I elixirs personally, prefer not to use anything else. And I share your opinion on ernie ball. Sound/play great for about 2 days and then they start dying. Now, in my experience, elixirs are the exact opposite. When you first put them on the feel a bit sterile cause of the coating, but after you have played them for at least a few hours or so you will wear them in and from there they sound/play brilliant for months.

My 2c...
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Personally I'm a D'addario guy, but since you don't like them, get DR's.
Elixirs are alright if you don't mind your strings to be slippery for a couple of days. I've used them twice and both times, it felt like my strings were covered in snot. Sometimes the strings would slip away from my fingers while bending.
Quote by 1010011010
Elixirs are alright if you don't mind your strings to be slippery for a couple of days. I've used them twice and both times, it felt like my strings were covered in snot. Sometimes the strings would slip away from my fingers while bending.
In that case, I think I'll fully pass on Elixirs. I use a ton of bending in my lead playing, and having them slip away from my fingers is the last thing I need. Regular strings already slip away enough as it is from my sweaty-ass palms.

I may go ahead and order myself a set of DR's. Seems like my best bet, also being that a lot of metal players seem to prefer them for some reason.
IMExp

Ernie balls go dead too quick.
Diaddario, good, consistant strings, I really like the sound of their 11-49s on my 87/88 PRS custom but they were a tad to tight and slowede me down. Still sounded the best.
DM Blue Steels were great but i got sick of paying more.
GHS Nickel Rockers, best clean tone but felt a little sticky.
GHS Boomers the 10-46s were the best all round. Sound almost as good clean as nickle Rockers but were nice and slick. Sounded almost as good destorted and clean as diaddario 11-49s but were not as tight and the D and G strings are the same as in a pack of 10-46s. plus like GHS 10-46s they lasted the longest before having to change.
Cheaper than Blue Steels.
I have GHS Boomer 10s-46s on my 25.5 scaleSamick Malibu (Malicaster!) but will be putting 10 and a half -48s on my 25 scale Carvin CT324M when it gets here between the 27th and 31st.
It's all subjective to a point but I know alot of guys that have had bad exp. with Ernie Balls in breaking alot and going dead to quick.
DRs were cool but they felt alittle slack and I noticed if I put a different brand of the same gauge on the intonation was a fractin off.
Dean Markley Blue Steel, I swear by them. Used to be an Ernie Ball guy, went to my local music shop, they were out of Ernie Ball so they gave me a free set of Blue Steels. Loved it on my Jackson, threw a set on my acoustic, never looked back since. Little more expensive, but not much, and in my experience they last a long time. Great, bright, full tone. Love 'em.

Like with all strings though, be sure to wipe them down after a sweaty session and that will help them last a lot longer.
Quote by broc5k
Dean Markley Blue Steel, I swear by them. Used to be an Ernie Ball guy, went to my local music shop, they were out of Ernie Ball so they gave me a free set of Blue Steels. Loved it on my Jackson, threw a set on my acoustic, never looked back since. Little more expensive, but not much, and in my experience they last a long time. Great, bright, full tone. Love 'em.

Like with all strings though, be sure to wipe them down after a sweaty session and that will help them last a lot longer.

I do like Blue Steels, but I find Ernie Ball to fit my needs better. However, Blue Steel is a good alternative.
Quote by RoadsToFreedom
I do like Blue Steels, but I find Ernie Ball to fit my needs better. However, Blue Steel is a good alternative.

Honestly if I couldn't easily find a set of Steels, I'd have no problem stringing up a set of Ernie Balls. They're not bad by any means, and served me well for years. I really think, no-name garbage strings aside, that it all comes down to personal preference. Play what feels and sounds best to you.

Also, get in contact with the companies, many will be happy to send you out a free set to try.
Hm. You can try GHS. I hate them, and love D'Addarios, so since you hate D'Addarios, you may love GHS?

lol.

Just try as many different brands as you can. Just get a pack from like 3 different brands next time you buy strings. The more guitars you have, the faster you can go through them. Luckily, I found D'Addario right away. Hopefully you'll find the brand for you soon.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by mydian
Try DR. They are completely different than the brands you mentioned. Hand made, round core instead of hex core. Would be worth the experiment at least once.

And that means what exactly, that a person presses the start and stop buttons on the machine instead of a sensor?

I'll tell you right now, there isn't someone hand winding the guitar string or anything, just like there isn't someone hand winding bare knuckle pickups(I'm pretty tired of hearing that one so I threw it in).
Went D'Addario to Ernie Balls to DR back to Ernie. Ended up using the Power Slinkys and after getting a Gibson I ended up with ( shocking ) Gibson Strings ; they do the job for me.