so im stating a new band that is a blues rock duo like white stipes. My drummer and i are only freshmen and live in a small town that has like 8 venues, most bars and one is a real venue, which is the goal. My personal goal is to play a lot live and get a good local following. The problem is of the 8 bars. They are pretty much all 18+/21+ and the real deal. Its a college town so i imagine a lot of 19 year olds. The problem is my friend and I are 15! Do you think we have a chance of headlining these places?
Tell the people that own the clubs if they don't let your band play, you're going to cut their balls off. It's worked for me before. Serious.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Tell the people that own the clubs if they don't let your band play, you're going to cut their balls off. It's worked for me before. Serious.[/QUOTE
if we get a bad apple, then they will pass the word and no one will let us play.
Quote by FicticiousCacti
Tell the people that own the clubs if they don't let your band play, you're going to cut their balls off. It's worked for me before. Serious.

You're a dick.
A chance? Yes.

How much? Very slim.

Depending on where you live, you may not even be able to play in bars. As for playing the real venue, you have to be really tight as a band and entertaining so that the venue can get people into the bar. Your age is definitely a factor, since a lot of people wouldn't give two fifteen year olds a second look. You have to be mature, professional and willing to put a lot of work in.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
That's true. Serious answer: just ask the owners if it's cool if you can just walk in, play and leave. I have friends who have done that. You just wait outside until it's time to play, you play, then you get the hell out. That usually works.
I'm personally very mature, and when it comes to music I'm not ****ing around. my age is a problem, every band I've been in wanted to do rush covers and shit. I think that its time to start a legit band, that will tour when i get my license.
A rush cover band is not a legit band?
When you have to call yourself mature, chances are you're not.
PM me for newts
the points that I'm mature enough to play at places like that. I've been to like 50 shows in denver at the filmore, until they started id ing...the marquee, the bluebird, the ogden, house of blues SD, the bar house. ect.
You probably won't get to headline or even play in them until you're old enough to play them anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well as much as it sucks, you're not gonna be headlining any worthwhile venues at 15. Just keep practicing and try to play some house shows. Once you're 16-17 you'll be able to play most bars, but be sure to ask beforehand if they allow -21 people inside.

Edit: And get out of Durango asap. I live in Colorado Springs and even here it's a musical hellhole.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by superquin
the points that I'm mature enough to play at places like that. I've been to like 50 shows in denver at the filmore, until they started id ing...the marquee, the bluebird, the ogden, house of blues SD, the bar house. ect.

Wait, how is going to a show indicate how mature you are?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Ask the owners if you can play during the day, since no one is ever at a bar during the day, it shouldn't be too hard to embarass yourself in front of tons of people... Have you and your buddy performed in front of a crowd before?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by superquin
a cover band is not a legit band. its a dead end

This shows you have no clue. Where do you think youre going to make most of your money performing? When you sell out Madison Square Garden with your little duo of originals let me know.
Quote by PogBoy
This shows you have no clue. Where do you think youre going to make most of your money performing? When you sell out Madison Square Garden with your little duo of originals let me know.

I think what he means is that it's the easy route, and not as credible (to many people; just an opinion of some and not a true/false fact) or rewarding as playing originals to a crowd of people wanting to hear them.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I think what he means is that it's the easy route, and not as credible (to many people; just an opinion of some and not a true/false fact) or rewarding as playing originals to a crowd of people wanting to hear them.

What he means is that for his purposes, being a covers band is a dead end. He wants to play his own music for people who want to hear it, as you said. But for other people with different goals, a cover band is nowhere near a dead end.
But making a blanket statement like that and saying that they are not a legit band does not speak to his maturity.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Watch "Rock Star" with Mark Whalberg and tell me a cover band is a dead end. He got the job, man! In the actual band!
Quote by FicticiousCacti
Watch "Rock Star" with Mark Whalberg and tell me a cover band is a dead end. He got the job, man! In the actual band!

What an incredibly likely scenario!
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan

I like to think it's possible. I can keep hope! You bonerkiller
Quote by StewieSwan

It has happened at least once.
The current Journey singer was found on youtube doing covering Journey songs.
Quote by CodeMonk
It has happened at least once.
The current Journey singer was found on youtube doing covering Journey songs.

Actually, that movie was inspired by the story of Tim "Ripper" Owens, the singer in a Judas Priest cover band who replace Rob Halford when he left.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by PogBoy

Stop being a used tampon, you douche.

Anyway, you probably won't be able to play any real shows until you're 16-17, but start off with school talent shows etc., to get some experience and attention.
woah woah woah that is bs guys cover bands play songs other bands wrote and that is against the reason i personally enjoy music which is writing, playing, and having my OWN music. So for my scenario it is def. a ****ing dead end, in the genre i enjoy. Maybe a dj or some shit could pass, they do everyday! BUT AAM I A DJ!??!?!?!?!? and ps i know durango is like the shitiest shit for a band. the small scene is all ska and bluegrass lol.
and what does maturity have anything to do with this? besides acting mature to get gigs, which is not hard to bs. Maybe songwriting but i think a certain amount of maturity is bad. Was blink mature? Look at them now
Don't ever say 'ps' again when typing on the internet. It makes you look retarded.
PM me for newts
Listen man, I got in an argument with a bassist I was going to try out for my band over this cover/original band thing. I told him to learn a few tunes for his audition and he said "Sorry, don't do covers because I take music seriously." I said "Really, do you now? Tell me who is going to want to see or book your band then? People want to hear songs they know, and then you gradually mix in your own songs throughout the set." I told him we always add our own twist into songs that we cover as well, to make them our own at the same time as staying true to the original.

Basically, if you aren't going to do any covers, good luck getting booked and getting a following. Obviously you need originals too, but when you start out, it's best to learn a few tunes that people will know instead of having them sit through 10 of you own songs that they've never heard before.

And as far as being able to play the bars, a couple years ago when I was 14 I played some local bars at night with my band then. You might not be headlining, but you will most likely be able to play. They just stamp your hand that you're a minor or something.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Last edited by shredibanez24 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by shredibanez24
Listen man, I got in an argument with a bassist I was going to try out for my band over this cover/original band thing. I told him to learn a few tunes for his audition and he said "Sorry, don't do covers because I take music seriously." I said "Really, do you now? Tell me who is going to want to see or book your band then? People want to hear songs they know, and then you gradually mix in your own songs throughout the set." I told him we always add our own twist into songs that we cover as well, to make them our own at the same time as staying true to the original.

Basically, if you aren't going to do any covers, good luck getting booked and getting a following. Obviously you need originals too, but when you start out, it's best to learn a few tunes that people will know instead of having them sit through 10 of you own songs that they've never heard before.

And as far as being able to play the bars, a couple years ago when I was 14 I played some local bars at night with my band then. You might not be headlining, but you will most likely be able to play. They just stamp your hand that you're a minor or something.

All very true. However, there is a difference between a cover band + a few originals and an original band + a few covers. TS was a full-blown cover band.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Your long term goal should be to headline yes, but your short term goals should be to write songs, practice, practice, practice, and get gigs. Everything else will follow
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Just practice until you're old enough. That way, not only will you have three more years experience in playing your songs, but you're gunna be tighter than a Nun's chuff.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Sep 29, 2011,
i agree with that one guy. playing the game with covers is key. I'm in 2 other band that only plays covers and if i have to play smells like teen spirit of handlebars again I'm shooting myself
I've been to gigs in 18+ venues where the band members are underage, they just got given stamps or wristbands or something. If the owner doesn't ask your age don't mention it, if they do, just ask them. The worst they can do is say you can't play.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.