I've been wanting to write my own song for a long time but I can never write anything that I like or doesn't already sound like something I know.

So how do you guys go about writing songs on the guitar? I seem to never be able to find a good melody or rhythm I should say.

Any advice?

EDIT:

I know alittle theory and know how to harmonize scales and play in key but I don't usually say "Hey, I'm gonna try and write a song, I'll try in the key of D" or what ever, I just mess around for a bit and see if I like anything I play.
Last edited by schism8 at Sep 29, 2011,
Find a chord progression you like. That's the first step if you're new to song writing. Structure it evenly and let it flow into the chorus of your choosing. After that, you pretty much just need to fiddle around with it to make it sound the way you'd like. When I write, I sit down to record something and write riff by riff for upwards of 3 hours, so you need to be patient. It'll happen. You just have to keep trying and realize that your first song won't be great, but you can build upon it. Some experience is better than none at all.
Quote by rtdgamefan
Find a chord progression you like. That's the first step if you're new to song writing. Structure it evenly and let it flow into the chorus of your choosing. After that, you pretty much just need to fiddle around with it to make it sound the way you'd like. When I write, I sit down to record something and write riff by riff for upwards of 3 hours, so you need to be patient. It'll happen. You just have to keep trying and realize that your first song won't be great, but you can build upon it. Some experience is better than none at all.

What do you mean structure it evenly?
I know a good chunk of theory, but I don't really use it when I write a song. Whenever I write, I just find a good solid riff that I like, and build around it. Just play and write as many riffs and phrases and licks as you can then try to see if you can write a different riff that fits with the first one you wrote for that song. It all starts with one riff, for me at least.
Write a whole load of riffs (e.g. 100) and record them. They're much easier than chord progressions, so if you're into rock and metal it's great.

Then go through each one, giving it a descriptive title and a mark out of ten.

Throw away any below 7 out of 10.

Experiment with which ones together. Write linking sections for them.

You then have the backbone of a song.
Quote by schism8
I can never write anything that I like or doesn't already sound like something I know.

I seem to never be able to find a good melody or rhythm I should say.

I just mess around for a bit and see if I like anything I play.

Look at what you just wrote.

You keep doing the same thing.

When do you think that doing the same thing is going to bring you different results?

Number one cause of your problem as I see it, is yourself. Change your thinking, and your prejudices, because obviously you don't know what you are doing...and humble yourself to learn. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is called insanity.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Look at what you just wrote.

You keep doing the same thing.

When do you think that doing the same thing is going to bring you different results?

Number one cause of your problem as I see it, is yourself. Change your thinking, and your prejudices, because obviously you don't know what you are doing...and humble yourself to learn. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is called insanity.

Best,

Sean

Pretty much what Sean said. You need to change how you do things to provide a better understanding or way of seeing things. You might also find a way of writing you like that you would've never thought of if you just "mess around". Messing around is like a conversation that goes nowhere. Nobody knows what's being talked about. Nobody has anything really to say. Nobody has a statement they want to express. It's pointless and albeit insane.

So here's some ideas: You need to have a sense of direction and idea of where you want to go. Lay out a rough sketch like verse-chorus, a chord progression, or write out a story of some experience that has impacted you.

Then, record yourself humming melodies that come to mind and play them on guitar. Want to experiment with rhythms? Just tap to yourself, notate it, and then fill it in with notes that you think sound best. Start with quarter notes if you have to and fill them in with a cadence. That cadence can develop into a nice melody or motif for your song. Or write out a chord progression with those quarter notes and then turn them into full measures. Then fill in spaces if you want.

Who cares if it sounds like someone else. It's not that you're unoriginal, it's that you're taking a little something you like and making it into your own. I like black and wear black all the time. I find others wearing black a lot too. Does that make me unoriginal? Not really. My point isn't to be original. It's to be myself.

Look at yourself and ask you if you want to be yourself.

Good luck.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by schism8
I've been wanting to write my own song for a long time but I can never write anything that I like or doesn't already sound like something I know.

Well, there's your first problem. What is it with kids today being so hell-bent on creating something that no one's ever heard before, given the thousands of years of music you're already building on? Fact is, if you listen to music at all, it's influenced you. So at that point, you're already too late.

Stop trying to be "original". Just write.