Reebok International Ltd has agreed to pay $25 million to settle charges that it made unsupported claims that its "toning shoes" help wearers get fit faster, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Wednesday.

The money will go toward consumer refunds.

Reebok advertisements said the shoes strengthened hamstrings and calves by up to 11 percent more than regular sneakers, and toned the buttocks up to 28 percent more, the FTC said.

"To its credit, Reebok pulled these ads sometime in the middle of our investigation," David Vladeck, head of the FTC's Consumer Protection Bureau.

Toning shoes are designed to be slightly unstable. Manufacturers say the instability requires the wearer to work harder, thus strengthening muscles.

"We did get consumer complaints. We watch TV. We read the newspapers," said Vladeck. "There is no such thing as a no-work, no-sweat way to a fit and healthy body."

Adidas, which owns Reebok, said it disagreed with the FTC and stood behind the shoes.

More
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
so they thought people would just lose weight by the actual exercise they were doing and buy their shoes as almost motivation to exercise, but the shoes didnt actually help and the lazy fat americans sue back
lololololol
The only way to get fit is to train hard and eat well. I understand having a good pair of shoes is essential but i think people will just use this as an excuse to believe they are training harder than they are. And just moan and demand there money back when they arent getting the results they thought they would get.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Quote by Spoonman69
The only way to get fit is to train hard and eat well. I understand having a good pair of shoes is essential but i think people will just use this as an excuse to believe they are training harder than they are. And just moan and demand there money back when they arent getting the results they thought they would get.

I think it's fair enough to demand your money back when the advertising directly lies to you.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
So you're telling me that a company distorted the truth to sell a product to a bunch of morons who ate it up? No way.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
So you're telling me that a company distorted the truth to sell a product to a bunch of morons who ate it up? No way.

Its preposterous isn't it. Ah well, thats how life goes, and life goes on.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
all advertisement does is lie to us/deceive us in order to convince us to buy stuff we don't need. is cynicism really worth it?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
The shoes were always going to be bollocks. A shoe can't tone you. Fair play to the people suing them, I wish I'd thought of it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I think it's fair enough to demand your money back when the advertising directly lies to you.

Thats what i was getting at lol.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Quote by StewieSwan

You mean they totally breached consumer protection law?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
There is so much fake stuff out there, I wonder why the picked Toning Shoes over Power Balance, HCG Diet, Ion Bracelets, or Shake Weight.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll
There is so much fake stuff out there, I wonder why the picked Toning Shoes over Power Balance, HCG Diet, Ion Bracelets, or Shake Weight.

They said that they will go after the others, it's simply best practise to start with the biggest player.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by CrunchyRoll

When regulators start a crack-down they normally start by targeting a market leader.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
That's crazy. But if you think that's bad, they ran an ad here a few weeks ago selling gums they claimed could either make you more beautiful, smart or stronger. Needless to say they got in trouble for it... I don't even know if they were serious or just trying to be funny, the ads were neither.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CrunchyRoll

ACTUALLY!! If you follow the diet hcg can work phenomenally. A good friend of mine lost about 20 lbs a month doing it. It worked so well that i seriously condidered doing it. But i didnt like the idea of altering my body chemistry in that way so now i do cardio twice daily
Quote by z4twenny
ACTUALLY!! If you follow the diet hcg can work phenomenally. A good friend of mine lost about 20 lbs a month doing it. It worked so well that i seriously condidered doing it. But i didnt like the idea of altering my body chemistry in that way so now i do cardio twice daily

If Crunchyroll says the HCG diet is bullshit he's probably right, if only by the way it's marketed.
Quote by Vornik
Good luck stopping people false claims about exercise products. They'll only have to shut down most fitness and sportswear companies, men's magazines, every single women's magazine, all newspapers and pretty much everything else related to exercise before they're finished.
Quote by SmarterChild
Good luck stopping people false claims about exercise products. They'll only have to shut down most fitness and sportswear companies, men's magazines, every single women's magazine, all newspapers and pretty much everything else related to exercise before they're finished.

I hope they succeed

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I hope they succeed

+1
Quote by Vornik
Every person who has experienced a 15-20 pound shift in weight due to poor diet and exercise will know that the only way to lose weight back to normalcy is to go hungry (not starve, duh, but go a little hungrier than you normally do), and the only way to get fit is to put in the work and sweat. Everything else is a sham.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Adidas owns Reebok? My entire perception of the sportswear industry has collapsed.

Quote by SteveHouse
I hope they succeed

+2
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by z4twenny

I'm talking about HCG Diet supplements over the counter, which we sell at CVS, not the prescribed HCG, which I don't know much about (but assume is silly).

I was taken aback when I saw it because I know HCG is a controled substance. I looked at the ingredients and it was NANOGRAMS of amino acids which they claim "are the same amino acids in HCG" as if the amino acids would rearrange themselves to form HCG in the body. It was ~$50 too... for NANOGRAMS of amino acids.

The FDA right now has the burden of proof to show supplements are ineffective or harmful before they are able to pull them off the shelves, which you can imagine is a nightmare to actually do. Prescription drugs use to be like that as well and a lot of Bulsh!t drugs were marketed and people didn't get better or got worse. Now you must prove a drug is effective before FDA will approve it.

I hope the supplement market will soon go this route as well so we can finally get some regulation on supplements.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Last edited by CrunchyRoll at Sep 29, 2011,