Just a quick quetsion, hopefully someone can help.

When I put my ISP decimator in my Traynor YVC50 FX loop, and crank the preamp volume above 3 o'clock (with the boost on) I get a really farty rumbly distortion on my chugga chugga palm mutes.

When I take the decimator out the loop the rumbly noise stops (or put it up front although this really isn't an option because it is there to take out the preamp noise), and it also stops if I take off the amps boost or reduce the preamp volume back to 2 o'clock. This happens if the ISP decimator is on or off, but only when playing really balsey palm mutes. Anyone experience anything similar? Does it sound like the decimators buffer?
actually its made to take out feedback and other unwanted noises coming from your guitar

so it should be placed before the input of the amp but last in line if you use more pedals.
Noise gates come before distortion.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
It isn't a noise gate, a gate shuts off when the signal doesn't reach the threshold, where as the decimator is vector based and elimates what it deems as noise from the signal, aka noise reducer.

It is compatible with a series effects loop - "You can also insert the pedal in a series effects loop" direct from their website http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=264&Itemid=99
Last edited by ragingben at Sep 29, 2011,
Then I retract my earlier statement.

No idea sorry.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by ragingben
It isn't a noise gate, a gate shuts off hen the signal doesn't reach the threshold, where as the decimator is vector based and elimates what it deems as noise from the signal, aka noise reducer.

It is compatible with a series effects loop - "You can also insert the pedal in a series effects loop" direct from their website http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=264&Itemid=99

It's still a noise gate, by definition, with the only noticeable difference being in the gate's threshold detection/attack, and the release curve of the gate being designed to try and reduce unwanted loss of sustain.

Also, I always had the impression that you run it stronger in front of the amp, to cut feedback, or you put it in the loop at a lower setting to reduce preamp/valve hiss... putting it in the effects loop will be much less effective at cutting feedback, if that's what you want, and is probably why you're getting the strange results.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I reimburse my statement.

Front of yo amp.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Jim #4
the isp decimator is a noisegate!

Noise reduction and noise gate are distinctly different things, and the decimator is defiently a noise reducer... but whatever.

I'm not using it to kill feedback, I'm using it to remove unwanted noise from the preamp, which it does really well, but I'm just getting the strange noise when the preamp is pushed, regarless of the decimator being on or not.

@DisarmGoliath - yeah it is capable of both, I have used it both ways, and from a quick look on the net a lot of other people seem to use it in the loop. Have you tried one yourself? I actually find that I have to use it at a higher threshold to reduce the preamp hiss, crazy
Quote by ragingben
Noise reduction and noise gate are distinctly different things, and the decimator is defiently a noise reducer... but whatever.

I'm not using it to kill feedback, I'm using it to remove unwanted noise from the preamp, which it does really well, but I'm just getting the strange noise when the preamp is pushed, regarless of the decimator being on or not.

@DisarmGoliath - yeah it is capable of both, I have used it both ways, and from a quick look on the net a lot of other people seem to use it in the loop. Have you tried one yourself? I actually find that I have to use it at a higher threshold to reduce the preamp hiss, crazy

Assuming you own the pedal version, a quick look at my sig would tell you I also have one

But anyway, arguing over the differences between noise reduction and noise gating aside (ISP claiming it isn't a form of gate is just their advertising spiel - it is a form of noise gate, unless they want to claim that all modern software gates in DAW's are not noise gates lol), I did try it in the effects loop of my switchblade for a while but had very strange results (particularly with the pedals at the front of the amp like my Wah) so I now run it first in my signal chain.

I now rarely use the pedals in my sig. aside from the Decimator, and usually the Crybaby, but I find to get my Decimator set right for high-ish gain metal with staccato chugging, the threshold has to be higher than I ideally want it (probably because of playing on cramped stages close to the amp, and from having EMG's in my main axe) so whenever I want feedback or to do a whammy harmonic I kick the gate off for a bit... got quite good at turning it on and off like a normal pedal so I don't get any feedback when I need it!

Really though, the main benefits of the technology are when you get the G-String or the Pro Rack G and can have a channel to cut feedback, and a separate one to cut preamp noise, as you can then set the feedback-killing channel a bit lower and keep a bit more dynamic control without feeling like you're on a knife edge.

I haven't put it in the preamp in a while though, so it may have been high there, but it depends on your amp I suppose - my Switchblade has a relatively quiet preamp and only two EL34's so it doesn't get too bad at a typical stage level.

Edit: Also, the noise issues you're having could well be a result of some form of buffer on the Decimator, as I'm sure the 'Time Vector Processing' analysis has at least some impact on the signal passing through it but I can't imagine why it would affect the sound when bypassed... it isn't a true bypass pedal, though it would probably be a simple mod if people have had success with that, but tbh my only issues with it in the preamp were more to do with using modulation effects in front of the amp and having the gate after that and the distortion.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 29, 2011,
+1 that is a great answer, thanks for taking the time to go into detail!

Yeah, it is weird that is still effects the amp when it is off. Thats what is throwing me mainly. My preamp is dity channel is really quiet until I engage the boost function and then it gets pretty noisey. It just sounds a load better to my ear using the boost, but that is what is causing the problem.

In a live situation where everything is cranked the boost is less noticable than at bedroom levels, so I mainly use the boost to give me some more beans for solos or what not (I'm using a bad monkey to push the amp anyway), and in that situation I'm really not worried about preamp noise as it is unnoticable when playing. But just jamming at low levels with people the amp really needs the boost to be used to make it ballsy, and the hum does your head in when your trying to chat through ideas aswell. Sod it, I'm gunna pull it up front again, saves the hassle!
Quote by ragingben

just set it up to 12 o clock and let a note sustain...then you can hear the tone dissappear as soon as your guitarsignal becomes weaker.
thats the gate closing. dont look in a book for definitions...use your godgiven ears
It is a noise gate. You can test this by setting a really high gain distortion and using it after and before the distortion.

It will clean your feedback much better without affecting your tone if you place it right after the guitar.

I know because I had an isp decimator for a while to calm feedback, and later got a isp decimator g string to both calm feedback and stop white noise the preamp stage. Been working with them for years