my rig is a 5150 block letter with a marshall cab with v30's

i love it and all but it feels like its missing....something

i have my ns-2 set up in the x pattern, i have a MXR ZW OD for the extra oomph, but i feel there is something more i could have to make my amp really growl

any opinions out there? compressor? eq? wah? i have no idea

you tell me
Noise Suppressor. Overdrive with a bass cut tonality.

I use(d) a compressor with my 5150, and I love it. I love compressors. But a lot of people don't use them. Try one and see what you think. I also use(d) an EQ in the loop. Extremely useful pedal. Really allows you to shape your tone way above and beyond what the limited 3 band EQ on an amp can do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You need a reverb pedal.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You need no less than four delay pedals set to randomly selected intervals, some with modulation and some without, all in a row, to be used in random combinations selected for absolutely no reason.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer Tube Screamer
He already has an od.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You shouldn't really count on other people to tell you what to add to your tone. It should be an experiment to find what works for you, and information and suggestion can be given, but don't buy a pedal just for the sake of buying a pedal (to some extent). If you want to make your 5150 growl more (is that possible?) look into clean boost pedals, those really add a lot of umph to your sound.
At least a distortion (duh), maybe a wah if you're into that. Some chorus can be good for cleans, but you can also get Randy Rhoads-esque lead tones using both chorus and distortion.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
At least a distortion (duh), maybe a wah if you're into that. Some chorus can be good for cleans, but you can also get Randy Rhoads-esque lead tones using both chorus and distortion.

With a 5150 Block Face why would you have a Distortion pedal.

That's dumb.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
maybe a sonic stomp?

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
megan fox

boss dd20

morley bad horsie2

ibanez ts-808

keeley 4 knob compressor

megan fox

line 6 verbzilla

isp decimator g string

mxr 10 band eq

tc electronic polytune

boss ce3

mxr micro amp

thats pretty much it imo
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at Sep 29, 2011,
for compressors, you would want an optical compressor. most are good, some just have different knobs for different things.

ditch the zw od, and get a tubescreamer reissue?
Id get a chorus, most high gain amps have pretty gay cleans, 5150 is no exception, a little chorus will add some body and sparkle.

A noise supressor and OD is pretty much the only real neccesity, if pedals are a neccesity to you.

Get some wah if you wanna kirk hammet.

Maybe the mxr 6 band if you wanna tweak.

Compressors are nice, but they raise the noise floor with everything else, so make sure your amp is quiet.
Quote by technoguyx
At least a distortion (duh),

I don't think you're really missing anything there. Some people prefer the decimator for a noise gate, and a more tubescreamery od pedal might be preferable to some people (though the zw itself isn't a million miles away either afaia), but yeah. Nothing too obvious missing there. Delay and chorus, maybe, and maybe a wah. but they're more for embellishing rather than creating your core metal tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2011,
how come nobody mentions attenuator?? that one piece of equipment will make your amp and pedals SOOOO much better, at least it has for mine rig. BUT if you want another pedal, get an EQ, I have mine on all the time
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
^I find that an attenuation wouldn't as help much with the 5150 as most of the gain already comes from the pre amp
Quote by Ghold125
^I find that an attenuation wouldn't as help much with the 5150 as most of the gain already comes from the pre amp

has nothing to do with gain. IT will help
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
thank you all so much for your imput!

i would go out and experiment with pedals at a shop and such, but alas, the nearest guitar shop is around 50 miles away.

the ZW OD isnt that bad, but it does seem to have WAY to much gain for an od pedal, if i have the gain anywhere past 0, it makes my amp unhappy

as for eq pedals, i would have no idea where to begin with adjusting it
you could try a TS9. I tried a few ODs before I bought one. The TS9 sounded the best to me when used as a boost with my 5150 II.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
heres my list (and i own a 6534+ so it should be along the same lines)

OD
tuner
Noisegate
Reverb
chorus
EQ and/or a sonic maximizer
delay for solos
possibly a compressor

oh btw, what are some good optical compressors out there?
Quote by beckyjc
Id get a chorus, most high gain amps have pretty gay cleans, 5150 is no exception, a little chorus will add some body and sparkle.

A noise supressor and OD is pretty much the only real neccesity, if pedals are a neccesity to you.

Get some wah if you wanna kirk hammet.

Maybe the mxr 6 band if you wanna tweak.

Compressors are nice, but they raise the noise floor with everything else, so make sure your amp is quiet.

if you run your supressor last, with the eq right before that, i noticed that i pretty much never get noise from anything.
Quote by Seanthesheep
heres my list (and i own a 6534+ so it should be along the same lines)

TUNER
overdrive.
Noisegate
Reverb
chorus
EQ and/or a sonic maximizer
delay for solos
possibly a compressor

oh btw, what are some good optical compressors out there?

tuner is most important. - korg pb02, polytune - pitchblack, peterson
overdrive - lots of dif. kinds. mxr and tubescreamer are most used i think
noisegate - isp decimator
reverb - verbzilla, strymon bluesky, eventide space (all VERY diverse
chorus - no boss. at least thats my opinion.
eq - mxr ten band
delay - dl4, timefactor, nova, malleko lofi 616
compressor - keeley compressor. or philosphers tone (thats analog though, which is squishy.

go onto proguitarshops youtube channel, and search all those parameters. you'll find stuff you like.
I tried a TS-9, Fulltone Fulldrive, and ZW OD at once at the ZW was my least favorite. Wasn't exactly terrible just not great as a boost. I ended up going with the Fulldrive with my Single Rectifier. It works ok with my 5150 but I like the Maxon OD-808 better there.

I would say maybe a new boost, then an EQ, then compressor. An attenuator might help but it depends how loud you are already able to play. If you can play with the post gain at about 3 it will help, but if you are only able to play at 1 it's just not worth it. I don't bother hooking up my attenuator when I can't turn up the volume much.
ts-9 and a noise suppressor, preferably the g-string and your good you already got the 5150 aka 6505 same thing.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
An OD and a noise suppressor (only if your amp is noisy), that's pretty much it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
For metal: TS, Wah, EQ, and NS. A delay never hurts anything either. Maybe chorus for some cleans.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
some sort of overdrive. i prefer the green rhino over any tubescreamer but theres so many out there you just have to try them for yourself. but if you already have an od maybe try an eq so you can fine tune your tone. oh and megan fox
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
some sort of overdrive. i prefer the green rhino over any tubescreamer but theres so many out there you just have to try them for yourself. but if you already have an od maybe try an eq so you can fine tune your tone. oh and megan fox

I'm not sure what Megan Fox has to do with metal guitar... but I approve of this statement
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well metal players just need a high gain amp really.

If you were to add anything, it would be an overdrive/tube screamer, MAYBE a noise gate, but live you don't really turn your gain up nearly as high, and if you're in your bedroom, you don't really get a whole lot of feed back unless you crank it so it's really not a big deal at all. You sure as hell don't need reverb for metal, or delay unless you play like, Doom metal.

You don't need a flanger (why would someone say metal players need one, hardly ANY metal players use one :S) You don't need a chorus unless you like it on cleans, Most don't use Wah's either. MAYBE an EQ pedal (MXR 10-band EQ would be perfect), A fuzz MAYBE if you're into like, stoner/sludge doom metal (Think Electric Wizard/Bongripper, etc)

So yeah, I'd say an overdrive would be the top priority, then maybe an EQ, then either a wah (even though few use one, or a harmonizer (just to add something onto some leads.) I'd put a harmonizer before the Wah though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc

well let me explain. i find that using the attenuator on the 5150 or similiar greatly helps smooth it out, compresses it and generally improves dynamics, sustain and HELPS the overdrive/distortion. now if you havent used an attenuator, it will make your pedals that you already own BETTER by being able to add some volume and therefore getting your tubes involved more. now, if you dont agree, fine, everyone has different tastes, just giving some options for TS to think about
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
How does something compress and improve dynamics at the same time?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
How does something compress and improve dynamics at the same time?

This
Compressors don't improve dyanmics, that's the whole point of them, they make light hits sound louder, and hard hits on the strings remain the same volume basically but the attack is sitll there, it just evens them out.
Plug into a tube amp, distortion, lightly strum a powerchord, now hit it really hard. It will change.
Turn on compressor, do the same, they will sound more similar, the hard hit just has more attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGq5umdgaM (I know it's ****ing expert village, but it shows the point)
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Sep 29, 2011,
I really wouldn't use a compressor. The only thing I use compressor on are
a) cleans - ie funk or knopfler style
b) sustaining [some] notes in solos [but this is through a fuzz and for prog rock]

The amps overdrive will naturally add compression, and you really don't need to add to that IMO.

For metal you really don't need a compressor.

Quote by MatrixClaw
An OD and a noise suppressor (only if your amp is noisy), that's pretty much it.

This. After that it comes down to the individual.
RIP Gooze

cats