Use a metal file/sand paper on a pickup magnet?
I'm going to be doing a modification and I'll have to round off the edges of a ceramic bar magnet... just wondering if that would mess with the polarities or anything.
Cusp of Magic
why would you possibly need to do this?
and i think you shouldnt, it will effect the sound quality
also not sure why you'd need to but i imagine all the bits you'd be filing off would just stick the the magnet and it would just end up being a bit of a messy job
I've already started. It hasn't affected the magnetism of it.
I need to do it because I plan on taking out the pole pieces in a pickup, routing out one open rectangular space, and rounding off the edges so it fits into it perfectly.
Cusp of Magic
Well, I've finished it.
Rounded the edges and smoothed it out, and it's still magnetic.
Now I have to CAREFULLY route out the plastic in between the pole piece holes and hopefully have a hotter pickup.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Why do you post asking if its ok, if you just ignore everybody anyway?

Because I'm impatient.
Maybe I want someone to come along and share a similar experience... or maybe I just like throwing my unique ideas out there.
Why do people buy Squiers and put them on a pedestal?
Why are you taking offense to my post?
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Why do people buy Squiers and put them on a pedestal?
Why are you taking offense to my post?

Why do you put irrelevant questions at the end of your post to attempt to make a point?

Generally messing with the magnet isn't the best idea, but, if you want to showcase you idea, make a thread doing so, post pictures of the process, it'll get a much better reaction than "Hey guys is it bad to file a magnet?" "Hey guys I just totally filed a magnet."

Also Squiers on a pedestal?
Squiers get tons of bad press man. Despite them being quite good (save for the standards and arguably affinities).
I plan to post a picture of the final product. I already posted a picture of the stacked humbucker I made from a normal bridge humbucker. This is a further modification to it, to achieve more output.
Because for some reason, I just cannot get a balanced middle pickup to go with my GFS pickups in the neck and bridge on my guitar.
Cusp of Magic