Sup people!

So i'm planning on getting a new guitar sometime between this winter and summer.

I'm getting a 7 string guitar, since i've gotten into very much 7 string music and my band have many ideas that probably would work out best on a 7 string.

So question is, which should i get? I was thinking about an Ibanez RG1527Z, but since i've never played one and no store close to me will have one in stock i was also thinking about an Schecter Hellraiser, since i already have a schecter hellraiser 6 string i know they are good guitars that i like.

So question is, have anyone played a Ibanez RG1527Z? Did you like it? Was it easily played? etc. Is it a good guitar for playing Djent, Progressive and melodic death metal? Since that is mainly what i will be playing on it.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
Last edited by Sickz at Sep 29, 2011,
the ibanez is a prestige right? if it is and you like normal ibanez guitars then go for that no questions
Why would Ibanez NOT be good for that? Meshuggah uses Ibanez (I think)
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

if anything the ibanez is better quality, and/or more versatile than the schecter, but at the end of the day, its an ibanez, and has the standard ibanez traits that not everyone likes
I've tried different Ibanez guitars, some i liked some i disliked.

And yes it seems like Fredrik in Meshuggah uses a similar model, my bad to not check that out.

Question though, i've heard from some people that the pickups in this guitar is great for metal and from some that they are terrible, what is the real case? The guitar uses V77 and V87 humbuckers, any advice if these are good pickups or if i should get them switched?
well im pretty sure the neck on that guitar is the 7 string equivelant to the wizard II neck which im pretty sure is the typical ibanez neck.

and yea, ibanez pickups generally arent that great. itd be best to switch them out.
2nd hand 1527 and new pups = properly professional quality guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well...Ibanez just released this .....The 1527 would be a better deal than the Schecter. In terms of quality, Ibanez>Schecter. Just my opinion.
Last edited by LostKeys at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by LostKeys
Well...Ibanez just released this .....The 1527 would be a better deal than the Schecter. In terms of quality, Ibanez>Schecter. Just my opinion.

Any idea how much that RG 927 is going to cost? Cause if it's not too much that looks bloody amazing!
1527, no freaking question. Much, much better guitars than the Schecters (which, while nice, aren't nearly on the same level as an Ibanez Prestige).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand 1527 and new pups = properly professional quality guitar.

This +100
Quote by Sickz
Any idea how much that RG 927 is going to cost? Cause if it's not too much that looks bloody amazing!

$1099 American, new. The 6string version is $899. But anyway, I believe it is already up on americanmusic and zzounds. I have the 6 string version in Liquid Inferno, and it plays amazing. The pickups aren't DiMarzio designed, they are actually made BY DiMarzio especially for Ibanez, and they sound, well, great. I probably won't even change them out. Trem is the best I have ever played on, and I couldn't be happier. I imagine the 7string to be just as good.
Kind of an unfair comparison, you're comparing the top of the mid range guitars (Schecter) to the bottom of the high end guitars (Ibanez). Even though they're somewhat similar in price, they're still in different brackets, as far as construction quality is concerned. The Ibanez is the straight up winner there.

But, as always, you should judge with your hands. Which one sits comfortably in your hands and against your body? The one that does will always be the winner, regardless of price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As it seems now, i think i will go with the RG927. Since the US dollar is low now compared to what it have bin before i could really save some money and get a kickass guitar!

Hopefully the value on the US dollar will stay this way till i can afford it, otherwise ill get the 1527.

@Offworld. It might have been unfair to compare them but the schecter i got atm is one of the best guitars ive ever played (then again, i havent played many premium guitars of companies as ibanez, just the cheap models). That´s why.
Don't buy a premium new when you can get a real prestige 2nd hand and have money left for new pups for the same cost.

It's a no brainer.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92
Kind of an unfair comparison, you're comparing the top of the mid range guitars (Schecter) to the bottom of the high end guitars (Ibanez).

The Hellraiser (and Blackjack) is Schecter's most expensive line...
Quote by Pac_man0123

Naw they are not.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Don't buy a premium new when you can get a real prestige 2nd hand and have money left for new pups for the same cost.

It's a no brainer.

Bingo!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Pac_man0123

In their US/Standard line, yeah. But regardless, it's still not in the same bracket in Ibanez Prestige. Kind of how no Agile will ever touch a real Gibson. Just because it may be their best/highest end model, doesn't mean that it is in the same bracket as another brand's models. Some companies just make higher/lower end guitars than others.

Anyway, drool on this for a while http://www.schecter.co.jp/index2.html. Those are real Schecters.

ESP also has a Japanese site with the real ESP's (compared to what we get over here).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Pac_man0123

Never seen a japanese Schecter have you?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
The Ibanez is a better guitar then the Schecter. End of story. NEXT!!
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
its probably the best 7 on the market tbf

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I want a 1527m bad right now.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Ok, so the final conclusion it that the RG 1527z is like the best quality guitar i can get at a affordable price? Since im not paying much more than 10000 sek (Swedish cash. 10000 sek = 1090 euro) for a guitar at the moment (Studying, i ain't earning any real cash atm).

What not to expensive pick ups do you recommend for this guitar then? I've heard the EMG 707 is good.

Thanks again.
Quote by Sickz
Ok, so the final conclusion it that the RG 1527z is like the best quality guitar i can get at a affordable price? Since im not paying much more than 10000 sek (Swedish cash. 10000 sek = 1090 euro) for a guitar at the moment (Studying, i ain't earning any real cash atm).

What not to expensive pick ups do you recommend for this guitar then? I've heard the EMG 707 is good.

Thanks again.

Meh, I personally don't like EMGs but others love them. Play a guitar that has them and see if you like them. I suggest DiMarzio's on any ibanez, namely a liquifire, crunchlab combo
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
Meh, I personally don't like EMGs but others love them. Play a guitar that has them and see if you like them. I suggest DiMarzio's on any ibanez, namely a liquifire, crunchlab combo

I think ill go with EMGs. I have EMGs on my schecter and seymour duncans on my jackson and i like the sound of my schecter far more.
Unfortunately, EMG 7+ string models are retarded, and won't fit in the RG1527. I believe Seymour Duncan Blackouts are normal sized though.

If those don't work, DiMarzio D-Activators will.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go for some nice passives dude.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92
In their US/Standard line, yeah. But regardless, it's still not in the same bracket in Ibanez Prestige. Kind of how no Agile will ever touch a real Gibson. Just because it may be their best/highest end model, doesn't mean that it is in the same bracket as another brand's models. Some companies just make higher/lower end guitars than others.

Anyway, drool on this for a while http://www.schecter.co.jp/index2.html. Those are real Schecters.

ESP also has a Japanese site with the real ESP's (compared to what we get over here).

http://www.schecterguitars.com/CustomShop/Default.aspx