Hey guys,

After a long time of using my amplifier's in-built distortion, I have decided to buy myself a guitar effects pedal (a distortion/overdrive pedal). These are my conditions:
1. Budget I'm looking to spend is max. $150. (including a new patch cord I'm buying)
2. I play lots of heavy metal with blues, jazz, classic rock and hard rock.
3. I want this pedal to produce both heavy distortion and soft blues at the same time.
Please give me some suggestions in which to buy! Thanks so much!

Regards,
WSONG
Kinda depends on what amp you're using. I wasn't completely happy with the distortion on my amp until I put a TS9 in front, which completely changed the character. Since I bought it I've ended up using it less for ramping up the gain than just tightening up the distorted sound, though.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Hey guys,

3. I want this pedal to produce both heavy distortion and soft blues at the same time.

I'd recommend a multi effect pedal then. Like Boss Me-70 because it also works like individual stompboxes.
if you've a tube amp i guess you couldn't go wrong with one of those green ibanez or maxon tubescreamers. They're slightly different from each other but theres plenty of comparison videos on youtube. In my experience I'd say stay away from multieffects unit distortion unless you're just jamming out at bedroom levels. They're not too bad for modulation/delay effects but the distortion can become quite shrill or digital sounding at high volumes. If you're a boutique kind of guy try the fulltone OCD or catalinbread dirty little secret
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest Left Handed
Yamaha FG720SL Acoustic
Amp(s):
Fender Blues Junior (needs new tubes )
Guitar Rig 4, if that counts
Last edited by Shadow678 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by omidmash
I'd recommend a multi effect pedal then. Like Boss Me-70 because it also works like individual stompboxes.

Boss ME-70 costs way over my spending budget; it costs $199.99 for pedal only.
Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. Would a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion be able to produce a thick, heavy distortion as a BOSS Metal Core, btw?
Zoom G1XN. Its well under $100 depending where u buy it, it has amazingly heavy distortions, really nic cleans, a very sexy sounding "wet jazz" preset. Its definitely worth checking out, i play everything from blues to deathcore and it fits everything in between. Not to mention a nice amount of cab fx and reverb/delays.
Quote by robquest
Zoom G1XN. Its well under $100 depending where u buy it, it has amazingly heavy distortions, really nic cleans, a very sexy sounding "wet jazz" preset. Its definitely worth checking out, i play everything from blues to deathcore and it fits everything in between. Not to mention a nice amount of cab fx and reverb/delays.

Would a Zoom G1U or a G2 be a better alternate?
Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Sep 29, 2011,
zoom G3
Guitars: IBANEZ RGA42FM
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb 9-42
AMP'S: Peavey Vyper
Effects: Zoom G3
Quote by Monster212
zoom G3

I don't think that would be on the market. I presume a Zoom G2 might be a good alternate, perhaps?
Are you guys seriously recommending Zoom and Boss multi-effects for some pre-amp distortion? Jesus christ...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thanks very much guys, I'll be probably buying a Zoom G2 (or a G1U) guitar effects pedal tomorrow. I really owe you guys a big thank you!
Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Sep 30, 2011,