For a school project we need to identify a problem and create a prototype to solve it. We've both been playing guitar for a few years. So far we have come up with the problem of pinky placement, a guitar that better suits beginners, and cables become tangled. What other problems do you face?
Last edited by Knowing at Sep 30, 2011,
I am constantly losing Picks.......

So any good solution to that would be good. (I know there are some out there like pick holders and stuff but I continue to lose them)

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
The angle of the headstock on a Gibson Les Paul. Extremely common break and obvious design flaw.
swapping pickups and soldering; maybe come up with a solder-less design (preferably one that is simpler and costs less than the duncan one...)

guitars going out of tune/ loosing their set-up during a cold car ride- design an insulated (maybe even slightly heated) guitar case... I would buy one.

lead popping out of the jack socket- maybe a locking unit, a strap mounted cable holder or a guitar mounted cable guide. I don't like running my cable between the strap and the body because heavier gauge cables won't fit
Quote by ranga97
As well as there body and neck angle. The body tilts backward.

Their body and neck angle is like that on purpose to accommodate the TOM bridge that sits higher off the body, requiring the neck to be angled back. The only way to solve this "problem" is to either recess the Tune-O-Matic bridge or utilize and Fender style bridge or a Floyd style floating option. It's not a design flaw, it's a product of the TOM's usage. Any guitar with a Tune-O-Matic has its neck angled towards the user...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Fret buzzes and muted notes while bending. Can be easily fixed with a good setup, but they are still time-wasting problems.
Back on topic though, there should be a universal system for changing pickups (such as EMG's solderless design). There's nothing more annoying than having to re-solder wires and cables to install a new pickup. If there was an effective and universal way to allow pickups to be connected and removed efficiently and easily, that'd be great.

More simple little issues though, are ones like notes going out of pitch on bends with a tremolo equipped guitar. Ibanez kinda helped this with their ZPS system, but some kind of ratchet locking system that could be switched on an off on the fly to switch the bridge from locked to full floating would be great! I'd buy it =P
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by sean1784
I am constantly losing Picks.......

So any good solution to that would be good. (I know there are some out there like pick holders and stuff but I continue to lose them)

Same problem here i buy a pack of 8 and a few weeks later I'm covetting the last two.
I've always thought of somehow attaching a pick holder to the guitar itself.
Quote by robquest
Same problem here i buy a pack of 8 and a few weeks later I'm covetting the last two.

Put one in a guitar. Like a pez dispenser.

Maybe a string damper thats not gigantic and bulky like MAB's.
one thing that continually pisses me off is my is the nut on my input jack coming loose. I've tried everything, but eventually it will come loose again. Well, loose parts in general annoy me. A universal solderless system for pickups would be awesome as well.

On a side note, i love how 50 years ago if a pickup broke, you pretty much had to get a new guitar. now if you dont like one tiny thing about your tone you have like 600 options of what to replace it with haha. Guitarists nowadays are lucky/blessed/spoiled....not that im complaining
Quote by robquest

Isn't the pickguard's purpose exactly that?
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx

Hm I've always been under the impression that the pickguard was for aesthetics and stopping yourself from scratching the body with your pick.
West Ham United
I tend to get fret buzz fairly often, I'm not sure what you could do about it but it's my biggest problem.
Quote by Krauser
Back on topic though, there should be a universal system for changing pickups (such as EMG's solderless design). There's nothing more annoying than having to re-solder wires and cables to install a new pickup. If there was an effective and universal way to allow pickups to be connected and removed efficiently and easily, that'd be great.

More simple little issues though, are ones like notes going out of pitch on bends with a tremolo equipped guitar. Ibanez kinda helped this with their ZPS system, but some kind of ratchet locking system that could be switched on an off on the fly to switch the bridge from locked to full floating would be great! I'd buy it =P

Listen to this man.. the pickup idea needs to be implemented!! :P
that would be such a leap.. imagine the possibilities of being able to swap pickups in less than 2 minutes..
just adding some crazy suggestions: an integrated way to actually meassure your action, your string tension and change them on the fly.. (although ibanez already lets you change string tension on the fly) , however being able to set up the action without going to the boring process of retuning them on the 12th fret.. tuning is gay the first times as you are a beginner..
Nobody knows it yet, but Lego/Duplo actually solved this problem years ago: what they do with their bricks could just as easily be applied to all kinds of connectors.

Imagine if swapping out pickups was as easy as playing with those plastic bricks...if connecting peripherals didn't involve wires, just stacking.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by technoguyx

nope, good luck using a les paul's pickguard to hold picks.

you're probably thinking of how some people slot their picks underneath the pickguard on strats and teles and stuff. that's not what it's meant for but on some guitars it can be used like that.

anyways, problems i have:

-tube rattle. i hate it. it's the most annoying sound in the world.
-re-stringing a bigsby equipped guitar; pretty self explanatory really.
-dodgy factory setups. of course i'm gonna have to adjust it to my own tastes but being set up at least half-decently in the first place definitely saves a lot of time.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by robquest

A bit of blue of white tack and stick them to the bottom, or jam them in the pick guard if you have one
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
you can solve your cable tangling problems by coiling them properly. the cables also last longer if coiled properly.
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
Quote by Slashiepie
Listen to this man.. the pickup idea needs to be implemented!! :P
that would be such a leap.. imagine the possibilities of being able to swap pickups in less than 2 minutes..

Seymour Duncan actually made something like this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/liberator/
intonation I find, especially if you tune low, and saddles won't go back far enough even with thick strings. Price of some things, I agree about the pickup thing though, it's quite a hassle.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss