Medical Marijuana users can't legally buy guns. (they are taking our rights away)

Page 1 of 6
So I have to read the newspaper for one of my classes and I came across a very small article about a new law that makes it illegal for medical marijuana users to purchase a gun. I'm both pro-gun and pro-marijuana so you have no idea how much this enrages me.

They shouldn't be able to do this though right? That's limiting our right to bear arms. It should be heavily unconstitutional. Is there a lawyer or anyone in law school who can back this up for me?

Marijuana has a whole list of health benefits ranging from the obvious coping with pain to prevention of alzhiemerz. It doesn't inhibit your ability to make decisions nearly as much as alcohol. It literally sickening how the government has brainwashed us all to think this is some "dangerous" substance when it is really safer than the poison than what the government tries to pass off as medicine.

If people who are medical marijuana users can't buy a gun then neither should people on perscription medicines.

And wouldn't this just support the black market even more? If somebody wants a gun and if they can't get it legally then they will just get illegally. Its rediculous that it's easier to get guns in this country illegally than it is legally.

What do you guys think? I'm highly pissed off at this whole situation and I'm going to fight this until I see some changes.
Last edited by purplehaze2242 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
Is it a law or a bill? That's kind of important. Can you linky to a source for proof?

what exactly are you inferring? discrimination is only inferring blackmail? explain to me how that's even relevant and i'll think about being your friend. alkimov is in the car
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by purplehaze2242

They shouldn't be able to do this though right? That's limiting our right to bear arms. It should be heavily unconstitutional. Is there a lawyer or anyone in law school who can back this up for me?

The Bill of Rights is conditional (meaning it's really an illusion). While your rights can't be taken away completely, the government is allowed to make exceptions to those rights.
You have free speech UNLESS it presents a danger to national security.
You have the right against search and seizure without a warrant UNLESS you're getting on an airplane.
You have the right to bear arms UNLESS you meet any of the hundreds of reasons you can be denied a gun.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I personally think guns only have a place in the army, police and shooting range, but if they're allowed at home marijuana users should have the same rights as alcohol consumers. Nobody should touch their guns under any unfluence and if the drinker can be trusted not to drink when shooting, why can't the smokers be trusted?
get over it.... just saying....we all know that the people who shoot people will have guns regardless and those people who would only use it in self defence won't. It's sad but true.
Quote by rgrockr
The Bill of Rights is conditional (meaning it's really an illusion). While your rights can't be taken away completely, the government is allowed to make exceptions to those rights.
You have free speech UNLESS it presents a danger to national security.
You have the right against search and seizure without a warrant UNLESS you're getting on an airplane.
You have the right to bear arms UNLESS you meet any of the hundreds of reasons you can be denied a gun.

this guy's got it

but to reinforce it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaa9iw85tW8
modes are a social construct
Quote by purplehaze2242

There are a number of people who aren't allowed to purchase guns. Do I think its stupid yes, is it unconstitutional, maybe. Anti-gun people have been saying for years that the 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee anybody to have a gun no questions asked.

Plus, states have always been able to enforce their own gun control laws.

Also, I suspect you just opened some kind of flood gate.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Why would you need a gun?
And do you think it's a good idea to have one while being stoned on marijuana?
Retard thread
It makes sense to me.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by laid-to-waste
what exactly are you inferring? discrimination is only inferring blackmail? explain to me how that's even relevant and i'll think about being your friend. alkimov is in the car

...Because a bill isn't an enforced law yet, it still has to be voted on. Newpapers will sometimes report things in a twisted way, I want to know I'm hearing the entire story. It's not that I don't believe it, it's just I want proof and details.
TS, you're 16. Why do you need a gun?
Go touch your teachers ass and leave the guns for adults.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by JB95
Why would you need a gun?
And do you think it's a good idea to have one while being stoned on marijuana?
Retard thread

Do you think medical marijuana users are constantly stoned?
Quote by SlayingDragons
...Because a bill isn't an enforced law yet, it still has to be voted on. Newpapers will sometimes report things in a twisted way, I want to know I'm hearing the entire story. It's not that I don't believe it, it's just I want proof and details.

i still think the implementer's substance has credibility. it's not like they had the decision right there, their settlement wasn't for weeks.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by JB95
Why would you need a gun

you know how cocaine is illegal

so cartels smuggle it for profit because it creates an excuse for organized crime and privatized profit?

they do that with guns, and guns are easy to get in bad neighborhoods due to illegal weapon hookups. so whether guns are legal for the public or not, we have to assume that a kid in a bad situation will have access to that deadly weapon. i know this due to a stay in juvy in high school over a bad mix-up that i was screwed over on - there are a lot of kids who rob people just for the thrill of it, or the stories to tell, or for money for drugs. if those kids can get guns, and you can't, you're kinda screwed.

it should be legal to have guns, provided the public realizes the social and ethical issues involved in it. limiting access (with appropriate due process) to the public doesn't do much when 16-17 year olds who barely speak english can get a hold of firearms. however, teaching people not to be ****ing morons and only use their weapons in self defense is necessary.

my .02
Quote by High&Mighty
Do you think medical marijuana users are constantly stoned?

Someone who owns a gun should be fully conscious of his actions at all times.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i still think the implementer's substance has credibility. it's not like they had the decision right there, their settlement wasn't for weeks.

What are you even talking about?

All I asked for was a source. T_T
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Sep 29, 2011,
I was going to give a rational, well-thought opinion on the matter about how I'm not sure whether or not I agree or disagree because, while I do find it infringing, I can understand the rationale partially, and that giving an opinion without knowing more than a single incredibly biased, very vague take on the matter with only a few minutes of contemplation is plain stupid.

But then I noticed the guy joined this month and looked into his post record.

Those combined with the lack of an avatar or title, completely generic name, and lack of source leads me to believe that this guy is a troll.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
long term medical condition combined with the potential for the marijuana to exacerbate existing mental disorders.

are there any other fitness restrictions on being able to buy a gun?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Yeah, these laws are complete horseshit. I was banned from purchasing any kind of guns for 5 years because I was admitted to the hospital for some bullshit reasons AND this is California, one of the most liberal states known to man.

People should be spitting on these doctors, psychiatrists, and lawmakers.
Last edited by C3g6m4 at Sep 29, 2011,
*sigh* Our country has truly gone to pot.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
because people not being able to own guns is definitely one of the more pressing and important issues in our lives, and especially in the world in general.
Quote by Hail
however, teaching people not to be ****ing morons and only use their weapons in self defense is necessary.

my .02

This. I will also add hunting and recreation to that list though. Frankly, using guns is not for morons in general.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by the bartender
Someone who owns a gun should be fully conscious of his actions at all times.

then alcohol users shouldn't be allowed guns

i guarantee there are a lot more drunken shooters than potheads
Quote by Zoot Allures
You're right, we need to ban all gun owners from drinking alcohol.

I do not oppose that idea.

The government needs to protect what's keeping it alive. That's not the people, that's the industries it can control and make money off of. Cigarettes, alcohol, and prescription drugs are easier for them to control than marijuana. So in order to protect those things, and protect themself, the government has to keep people away from using alternative solutions like marijuana. So they'll make it legal for you to use it for "medical" purposes, but they also keep you from doing other things, so you'll do what they want instead.

I'm probably wrong about most of that, but whatever. It's the best answer I have.
Um...guys?

I'm telling you, he's a troll - spottier post record than Fassa had, joined this month, age set right where they're old enough you can take them seriously, but young enough that most people still consider them kids, generic name - which, ironically, doesn't even match his favorite artists thing(more on that later) - one-sentence description, a single band in his bands list and its guitarist and bassist as the only two on his favorites list, location just "united states", no avatar or user title, and fairly importantly, no source whatsoever, picking at both gun owners and drug advocates?

It's well-veiled, but obvious troll is obvious if you look.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by purplehaze2242
Marijuana has a whole list of health benefits ranging from the obvious coping with pain to prevention of alzhiemerz.
What does this have to do with your point?

Quote by purplehaze2242
It doesn't inhibit your ability to make decisions nearly as much as alcohol. It literally sickening how the government has brainwashed us all to think this is some "dangerous" substance when it is really safer than the poison than what the government tries to pass off as medicine.
...you a doctor?

Quote by purplehaze2242
If people who are medical marijuana users can't buy a gun then neither should people on perscription medicines.
Firstly, you know how people who take medication aren't supposed to operate heavy machinery? Well yeah, a gun isn't much better.

Secondly, saying that "If X is illegal than Y should be illegal too" is also a terrible point, because now you're basically telling us that we should make Y illegal as well. Doesn't fix anything.

Quote by theknuckster
because people not being able to own guns is definitely one of the more pressing and important issues in our lives, and especially in the world in general.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
Um...guys?

I'm telling you, he's a troll - spottier post record than Fassa had, joined this month, age set right where they're old enough you can take them seriously, but young enough that most people still consider them kids, generic name - which, ironically, doesn't even match his favorite artists thing(more on that later) - one-sentence description, a single band in his bands list and its guitarist and bassist as the only two on his favorites list, location just "united states", no avatar or user title, and fairly importantly, no source whatsoever, picking at both gun owners and drug advocates?

Yeahhh, but he's not even getting much of a reaction. If he was smart enough to figure out how to make himself look semi credible, he'd at least be doing a better job, right?
Quote by purplehaze2242
Marijuana has a whole list of health benefits ranging from the obvious coping with pain to prevention of alzhiemerz.

Bullshit. Unless "alzhiemerz" is a completely different thing to Alzheimer's disease. Research the subject before making such idiotic statements.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by necrosis1193
Um...guys?

It's well-veiled but obvious? How is that possible???
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by necrosis1193
Um...guys?

Given your avatar, I hesitate to take anything you say seriously.

And I honestly think he's just stupid, not a troll.
Edit: ^Coming from Slippy, that's a compliment.

If he had more substance than he has, and if his post record didn't reek of a troll, I'd think it's just stupidity myself(Or posting while high), but everything added together shouts "trolololo" to me.

Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Yeahhh, but he's not even getting much of a reaction. If he was smart enough to figure out how to make himself look semi credible, he'd at least be doing a better job, right?

To be fair, the age is about the only thing about it that actually seems thought-out if he's trolling. The rest is about as well-done as Vanilla Ice's longevity.

DoubleEdit:

Quote by rgrockr
It's well-veiled but obvious? How is that possible???

Because Based God allows it.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 29, 2011,