So I've been playing guitar for a few years now and I like it but its impossible to find bands. I just started at a new school and I figured I would find lots of people to form a band with but they all playing guitar! Well except for one drummer. Anyways I feel at this point its useless to try and form a band playing guitar. I'm alright, but nothing that would impress people enough that they would want me in their band. So I've decided to switch to bass, because frankly I just want to find a band to play in part time.

SO I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LOOKING FOR BASSES! I don't know what brands are popular, or good. What sorta things to look for sound wise, or what amps are even good. Also what sort of pedals do bassists normally use for distortion, fuzz? I've played my brothers squirer starter bass a lot and its good, but seems a bit cheap. Any recommendations? I play rock music of all sorts, generally on the harder side. Any advice would be really helpful, thanks!!
I have an Epiphone Thunderbird which is fairly cheap and has a great sound, also looks great on stage, Would highly recommend it
I'd recommend an ESP LTD, they're quite good. But you could go for a Squier Vintage Modified series, I hear they're good.
Probably one of the more respected bass brands would be Rickenbacher. Not sure about amps, i use a guitar amp, myself.
wow, it's Rickenbacker, and it's like $3000

Squier P bass, good 200 watt bass amp, used for both

You don't need pedals to learn
1) What kind of budget do you have to work with? Both for a bass and an amp.

2) Where are you located? Do you have a good local store you can try basses out at, or are you stuck ordering online?

3) Have a look in the FAQ at the top of the forum for starter basses, its a good jumping off point. After answering questions 1 and 2 we can help narrow things down for you with some suggestions.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
What sort of budget are you looking in?

Lets just pretend a grand for the whole thing.

Gallien Krueger MB112
Ibanez SR300MIPT
electro-harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
Danelectro DJ9
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by arnolddrummer
Probably one of the more respected bass brands would be Rickenbacher. Not sure about amps, i use a guitar amp, myself.

Rics are only popular because of a few people that played them back in the day. They've got disgustingly low output, are hard to set up, and don't even sound particularly good.
you could get yourself a good bass and a decent practice amp for around 300 bucks.My reccomendation would be to pick up maybe a 30 watt amp at a music store and maybe a 200 dollar bass.a decent squier vintage modified jazz used may run about that much,and a lot of the people on here love them.another reccomendation is the Ibanez GSR 200.you can look in the FAQ for more suggestions.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons
Quote by CJ Noble
Rics are only popular because of a few people that played them back in the day. They've got disgustingly low output, are hard to set up, and don't even sound particularly good.

Don't tell Al Cisneros

TS Just ignore someone who tells a new bass player to play a rick and also uses a guitar amp, that's just full of fail lol
Quote by the wako kid
you could get yourself a good bass and a decent practice amp for around 300 bucks.My reccomendation would be to pick up maybe a 30 watt amp at a music store and maybe a 200 dollar bass.a decent squier vintage modified jazz used may run about that much,and a lot of the people on here love them.another reccomendation is the Ibanez GSR 200.you can look in the FAQ for more suggestions.

The GSR200 is a really good bass for the money and I own one myself but I can tell you for just an extra $50-100 you can have an exponentially better instrument.
I got a beat up Ibanez SR800 from a pawn shop for $100. It'll destroy anything near that price. You just gotta look around and not be afraid to haggle. If you see something for $180, slap down a Benjamin and tell them that's all you have, and you want that bass. Maybe throw in a Squier practice amp or whatever you have lying around that you don't use but can't really sell.
Quote by W4RP1G
I got a beat up Ibanez SR800 from a pawn shop for $100. It'll destroy anything near that price. You just gotta look around and not be afraid to haggle. If you see something for $180, slap down a Benjamin and tell them that's all you have, and you want that bass. Maybe throw in a Squier practice amp or whatever you have lying around that you don't use but can't really sell.

Best advice ever, used or new shopping, always counter offer anywhere not even just music and car stores.
My first bass was a Yamaha RBX270 and i can tell you it's a very nice bass to play. I only replaced it with my RBX375 because I wanted the 5th string, and I still use it for solo pieces because it's such a nice bass. I highly recommend you try it, but make sure whatever you decide, you try in store before you get it. I've heard some pretty bad stories about being told "You should get X instrument", getting it, coming home and playing it, and finding out it has the wrong tone for what you want.
I found an offer on Kijiji. Its $175 for a Traynor Bass Mate 10W and a Greg Bennett Fairlane Bass. I would like to try that one out and some others at my local music store. What have you guys heard of Fairlane Basses? Are they any good? Also my budget is really probably about $400 dollars, I would rather get a cheaper amp now, and upgrade to a pretty good one later when I'm actually playing shows.

One more thing... How is the Big Muff fuzz pedal? I was looking at some demos online and that one sounds pretty wicked
the silver ones are for guitar, the bass muffs have a following here, as do the russian ones. If you're interested in learning now, I'd honestly stick to the bass and amp deal, then save and when you're ready splurge on a nice amp and pedal that complement your basses tone and style of play