i may be getting a guitar with an original floyd rose in the near future so i wanna ask a few questions to be sure that i wont regret getting it:
how out of tune will unison/double stop bends will sound?
is there a problem with palm muting on a floyd rose?
is there a way to avoid these two problems by getting something to set the floyd to dive-only mode?
if there are any other cons i should know of please let me know
edit- i just found out about the tremol-no that can control if the tremolo is full floating, dive only or hardtail
still id like to know about hte cons of a fully floating bridge, especially the palm muting thing
Last edited by philipk at Sep 29, 2011,
at first bends will be a bit tricky, but you'll get used to it, same with the palm muting.
as for making it dive-only you can just put a block of wood behind the bridge.
Quote by fugume
at first bends will be a bit tricky, but you'll get used to it, same with the palm muting.
as for making it dive-only you can just put a block of wood behind the bridge.

maybe i can get used to it, but my question was what are the obstacles, not can i overcome them?
if you go from a tune-o-matic to a FR then it will seem awkward, but I have no problem switching between the two. palm muting shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by philipk
maybe i can get used to it, but my question was what are the obstacles, not can i overcome them?

the bridge feels really flat on your wrist, so you might have to adjust your picking style.
One thing I was wondering about is that if when you do unison bends, do the bridge move when you do it?
Lets say I'm bending the 15th freto on the B string while fretting the 12th fret of the high e string... will the tone on the e string change pitch, or doesn't it get affected at all?
I blocked the trem system on my crappy Ibanez because it caused trouble, but what about the Floyd Rose system? o:
Quote by JB95
One thing I was wondering about is that if when you do unison bends, do the bridge move when you do it?
Lets say I'm bending the 15th freto on the B string while fretting the 12th fret of the high e string... will the tone on the e string change pitch, or doesn't it get affected at all?
I blocked the trem system on my crappy Ibanez because it caused trouble, but what about the Floyd Rose system? o:

yes the bridge will move slightly, however i have learned a way to slightly bend the other string to compensate. this is really only necessary if your holding the two notes, in the middle of a moving solo the difference won't be too noticeable.
Quote by JB95

thread-jacker :P
anyways ive read about the tremol-no on their website and they claim that i can go from floating to dive only to hardtail in a few seconds, so depending on the song i can switch between those
I just got my first FR bridged guitar, and I installed a Goldo Backbox. Don't know if you can find one anywhere, I got in prep of a custom guitar a year ago. It basically keeps the bridge from moving unless I REALLY apply pressure. I can do a full step bend of any string without movement of the others. Try finding one. It only takes about an hour to install.
Quote by eXperiment63
I just got my first FR bridged guitar, and I installed a Goldo Backbox. Don't know if you can find one anywhere, I got in prep of a custom guitar a year ago. It basically keeps the bridge from moving unless I REALLY apply pressure. I can do a full step bend of any string without movement of the others. Try finding one. It only takes about an hour to install.

Sounds intresting...
Will ask for it at a music store soon.

Quote by philipk
thread-jacker :P
anyways ive read about the tremol-no on their website and they claim that i can go from floating to dive only to hardtail in a few seconds, so depending on the song i can switch between those

umad bro?
I think I have tried to get suggestions before, but I got no response, so I thought this would work... and it did! o:
Last edited by JB95 at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by philipk

(a) how out of tune will unison/double stop bends will sound?
(b) is there a problem with palm muting on a floyd rose?
(c) is there a way to avoid these two problems by getting something to set the floyd to dive-only mode?
(d) if there are any other cons i should know of please let me know

(a) it's noticeable if your ear's halfway good at all. you can adjust your technique to compensate, though.

(b) not when you get used to it... assuming you do get used to it.

(c) sure, but that can introduce its own problems- more difficult/fiddly to set up (talking about the tremol-no here), and also they can affect how the floyd feels in use too, sometimes.

(d) changing tunings is the obvious one. Also the tone sorta always sounds like a floyd, if that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by philipk
how out of tune will unison/double stop bends will sound?

Depends on the gauge of strings and tuning. Lighter gauge and/or lower tuning means lower spring tension which means that if you do the double stop you are going to pull the bridge more because the spring tension at the back is lighter.

If you plan to use lower tuning then I suggest using heavier gauge strings.

Quote by philipk
is there a problem with palm muting on a floyd rose?

You should not encounter any problem with palm muting on an floating tremolo.

Quote by philipk
is there a way to avoid these two problems by getting something to set the floyd to dive-only mode?

Yes. To do dive only, you will need (1) an additional spring and (2) a tremolo block similar to the one from floydupgrades.com

Quote by philipk
if there are any other cons i should know of please let me know

I suggest you read and learn about how floating tremolos work. Topics like maintenance, setup, and upgrading will be important if you plan to have a guitar that has one. It is a pain in the butt to manage and if you simply want "to play" then you might avoid the floating tremolo option completely.

The tremolo-no has issues. I've seen people post videos where they cannot fully "block" the tremolo. I saw videos where they show that it still wiggles a little bit. This could be caused by a lot of factors like improper installation. It might or might not work for your guitar and I suggest you purchase the more simple tremolo block (like from floydupgrades.com) if you plan to have a dive only option for your guitar.
^ i realise this is anecdotal, but while i found my tremol-no "worked", it was an absolute pain to set up 100% correctly, it was very, very fiddly, and unless 100% set up correctly you could "feel" it when you used the trem.

Also on my gotoh (maybe it's different with OFR springs), I couldn't use the dive-only attachment because there wasn't enough room and it'd impede the amount of up-pull you could get. With my gotoh you could only use it in either blocked or full-floating mode.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i realise this is anecdotal, but while i found my tremol-no "worked", it was an absolute pain to set up 100% correctly, it was very, very fiddly, and unless 100% set up correctly you could "feel" it when you used the trem.

Also on my gotoh (maybe it's different with OFR springs), I couldn't use the dive-only attachment because there wasn't enough room and it'd impede the amount of up-pull you could get. With my gotoh you could only use it in either blocked or full-floating mode.

ive watched the tremolno installation video on youtube and the guy pretty much said that if you set it up correctly- 90 degree angle between the tremolno and the things its attached to on both ends- you wont feel its there
you say its annoying/difficult to set up properly, but dont you have to do it only once?
yeah but it's pretty awkward getting it exactly right.

also... like most guitar setup things, they can drift after a while. So you'll probably have to tweak its setup after a while, too.

I'm not trying to put people off- if you really need its features and are willing to put up with the setting up, it's worth considering. Just if you already think setting up floyds is a pain... i might give them a wide berth, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah but it's pretty awkward getting it exactly right.

also... like most guitar setup things, they can drift after a while. So you'll probably have to tweak its setup after a while, too.

I'm not trying to put people off- if you really need its features and are willing to put up with the setting up, it's worth considering. Just if you already think setting up floyds is a pain... i might give them a wide berth, lol.

are you talking about the floyd or the tremol-no?
but i think i can give it a try(both of em), worst case scenario i can block it with a piece of wood(right?)
anyways, expect an NGD in the next few days
...double ngd (:
oh i meant the tremol-no, though i guess you could say the same, to a slightly lesser extent, about a floyd
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?