Hi guys,

I have had an xbox slim for about a week now and I have noticed that the xbox gets very hot over the fan on the top of the xbox. I have my xbox vertical and most of the xbox is cool but the fan on top is Hot - Nearly hot to touch. I have the gloss version.

Now, I'm thinking this is a good thing because it means it's getting rid of all the heat in the xbox and releasing it through the vent but I may be wrong. I'm getting a bit worried because my friend said he has the exact same model and his is blowing out cool air. My room is pretty small and it gets very hot in it so maybe that is the problem?

Sorry I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this on. I posted it on a couple of other websites aswell

Thanks alot!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the xbox is in a open area on my desk
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Needs more air circulation.

Open some windows.

Get some fans.

Don't block the vent.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Return Xbox, get new one. Problem solved.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

this
Ye I was thinking of doing that but I was just wondering if it was normal before I traded it for the same problem
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by fc89konkari
inb4 ps3

I have both
I would contact microsoft. I have several friends that have the new model and none of them get hot at all.
its dependant on the size of your room. No matter what electronical device it is, if its concealed in a small room its going to heat it up. Maybe use it in another room ?
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Alright I just sent an email to them. I have just been looking and apparently it is good because it's getting rid of all the heat inside the xbox and it's suppose to me normal. Anyway, hopefully microsoft will get back to me soon
Quote by UKMaster
Alright I just sent an email to them. I have just been looking and apparently it is good because it's getting rid of all the heat inside the xbox and it's suppose to me normal. Anyway, hopefully microsoft will get back to me soon

I highly doubt that.

Judging from how long it takes them to "repair" your RRoD or broken xbox you might be waiting awhile. Microsoft isnt a very consumer friendly company
Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
Quote by Conor360
its dependant on the size of your room. No matter what electronical device it is, if its concealed in a small room its going to heat it up. Maybe use it in another room ?

Yes I was thinking that but all the other rooms in the house are being used for different things so it isn't possible to move to a different room. I may switch my room around so my xbox is by my window and so will have more air circulation.

Quote by Conor360
I highly doubt that.

Judging from how long it takes them to "repair" your RRoD or broken xbox you might be waiting awhile. Microsoft isnt a very consumer friendly company

I have contacted them before and they have gotten back to me within 5 days
Indeed it is quite attractive
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
^ yeah i think it might be the room if it is small. I have a brand new laptop and it heats up my room at times. But at my desk in the hallway its perfect. Thing just needs some breathing room man
Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
Indeed it is quite attractive

Yes I agree

Quote by Conor360
^ yeah i think it might be the room if it is small. I have a brand new laptop and it heats up my room at times. But at my desk in the hallway its perfect. Thing just needs some breathing room man

Alright I'll try and do something about it. Would a fan desk help at all or will that just blow the already hot air around the room faster?!
Last edited by UKMaster at Sep 29, 2011,
I actually have a newer model and they can get pretty hot. I lay mine down, and like you it only gets hot around the vents. I would just keep it well circulated, and try not to have it on for extended periods of time longer than 4 hours or so. As long as its not making loud noises or your seeing changes in performance I wouldn't worry about anything.

No reason to take it back now.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Another problems sometimes happens is the xbox will start making like a buzzing sound but as soon as I push the top of it it goes very quiet and stays like that for a while. It isn't an insanely loud buzz but you can notice it.
Get your xbox back and get a new one... It's not supposed to overheat like that and it's not supposed to make noise...

At least that's what the microsoft rep told me when I had similar problem !
Yeah i'm working at Eb games dont judge me...
Have you run your fingers down the wall...

And have you felt your neck skin crawl...
When you're searching for the light ?
Quote by darkstar2466

Easily. It's only been a week. Hope you kept the receipt.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Unfortunately I can't take it back because I bought it from Argos when there was a deal one and apparently it is excluded from their 30 day returns but isn't it a law to offer 1 or 2 years warranty on all electrical items?
I think I have the same problem with mine. I have had mine since Feb. and I have ran into no problems whatsoever so I think you'll be completely fine. I keep my horizontal instead of vertical though, but I doubt that has anything to do with it to be honest.
Hmm many people saying different things. Anyway most seem to be saying it is normal and good it is emmitting heat and I have e-mailed argos asking about an exchange and microsoft asking if it is normal